17 HMR

Help Support CattleToday:

I love the .17 hmr I have shot and killed coyotes ... bobcats fox squirrels ... I don't recommend it on coyotes but it can be done... I must say it would be my favorite small caliber rifle if bullets were cheaper.
I ordered a couple boxes 17 hmr from a company on ammoseek yesterday and with shipping/tax I am ashamed to tell how much I paid. Ammo is out there if you want to pay plenty.

www.ammoseek.com

Hmm. Maybe a production flaw. I have a Marlin 22mag. I shoot pigeons off the top of the 65ft silo. Not sure what that distance equates to. I've smoked prairie dogs at around that 70yd mark. But like I said earlier. Accuracy is all relative. If I hit a prairie dog in the upper body or the eye it probably won't make any difference to the prairie dog.
The only reason I have mine so accurate is that we use it when we butcher fat lambs. I know it's over kill, but I don't have a 22lr that I am confident in to accurately one 'n done a lamb at 30yds.
Naw that's about right. It's more than good enough to shoot pigeons and stuff. We were probably about that 75yd range also.

I'm just saying that 22 mag would walk a golf ball size circle or so vs the 17 keeping them inside a quarter.

My dad had never shot a deer with a center fire rifle prior to meeting my mom. My dad showed up to family hunt with a 22 and my grandfather, moms dad, lent him an extra .222 to keep things on the up and up. 😄 We grew up like wild indians running through the pastures with 22s and always at least one 22mag. It was our buffalo gun for big game.😂

I haven't seen 22mag ammo around here in a good while though.

Wind drift and ammo cost are the only gripes I have about that round. Out to 150-175 yds it's great on a calm day...any wind over 5mph and it might as well be dandelion fluff at any distance over 100 yds. It literally cuts woodchuck and rabbit size animals in half. 2600fps makes that little bullet a shredder upon impact. $0.30 /rd really sticks in my craw for a rimfire.

Latest posts