.17 caliber

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers

Reaction score
Did the .17 ever become accepted? When they first came out people here wanted them but then they were disappointed in them. I do see lots of .17 ammo here so I guess some are still shooting them. Anyone on here like/dislike them?

The only 17s I've worked with are the centerfire. 17 Rem and 17 Ackley Bee, they're fun but much ado about nothing.

Jed I have a .17 hmr I keep in my truck and tractor all the time. I am into predator hunting pretty heavily and people pay me to clean up predator problematic areas. My .17 hmr has taken over 100 red and grey foxes and 11 bobcats by my records and a ton of groundhogs.I have killed 3 yotes and had a few run off wounded. I love mine but wife gave me savage predator hunter 22-250 that I use for coyote. I will never be without a .17hmr. Any questions you know how to reach me.

I have 2 17 HMR's and 17 Mach 2. They are great for prarie dogs and pickett pins, and rabbits. Had a Ruger Single 6 that was chambered for both but it was stolen a year ago..

I have also killed foxes and coyotes with the HMR's. Love the rifles and really love the cartridge.

The cartridge is a pretty major success from what i have seen.

jedstivers":1xtku57s said:
Now what's the difference in HMR and Mach 2?

Saltbranch is correct about the HMR. The Mach 2 is a necked down CCI Stinger. It's a real sweet rabbit gun for head shots out to 100yds or a little more. Better for sure than a .22LR since the bullets do not richocet as much, and deadly on pickett pins!

saltbranch":1mucpbjs said:
Isnt the .17 and necked down .22 Mag? I have been looking at the .17's, trying to talk myself into buying one. Love my .22
mag

I have never figured out why anyone would want one.
You can get 22 mag bullets in 25 to 50 grain drop down to the lightest and it is shooting right with the 17.

Caustic Burno":t1uuq5rk said:
saltbranch":t1uuq5rk said:
Isnt the .17 and necked down .22 Mag? I have been looking at the .17's, trying to talk myself into buying one. Love my .22
mag

You can get 22 mag bullets in 25 to 50 grain drop down to the lightest and it is shooting right with the 17.

One major reason is ammo availability at least here.

skyhightree1":2c9k442q said:
Caustic Burno":2c9k442q said:
saltbranch":2c9k442q said:
mag

One major reason is ammo availability at least here.

That is more noise than a Red Chinese radio station.
Before Obummer you could order any weight of 22 mag you wanted by the case.
UPS brings it out in the woods as well.

Gun calibers are like the best breed of cattle discussion lol only thing I can tell you is I have a ton of mounts my .17 took for me and offer my personal experiences.