17 HMR

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Bought a Marlin 917V 17 HMR today. Has bull barrel and looks like new. Have to buy a scope to put on it. Never shot one. What are some thoughts about the 17 and what scope do I need to go on it?
Bought it cheap so the good and the bad is ok. If I don't like it I can still make money on it. Got 3 boxes of shells with it also.

Much ado about barely more then nothing.
Make sure you get a cleaning rod and brush expressly for the 17 powder gun and not one for a 17 airgun.

kenny thomas":2n88z5q6 said:
Bought a Marlin 917V 17 HMR today. Has bull barrel and looks like new. Have to buy a scope to put on it. Never shot one. What are some thoughts about the 17 and what scope do I need to go on it?
Bought it cheap so the good and the bad is ok. If I don't like it I can still make money on it. Got 3 boxes of shells with it also.

Not to disagree with Dun but I guess I will. I like em a lot. shoots flat and will kill most small vermin out to 200yds. They seem to be like all rimfires though they will only digest one brand of ammo very well. Mine love Remington(of course they cost the most). Don't put some cheap rimfire scope on it. It will work fine with anything that will paralax down to 50yds. My budies and I will have can shoots with them clear out to 300yds as long as it's not too windy. If you want to do something like that get a scope with mil-dots or some kind of stadia lines.

If you want an indication of how much energy they carry shoot a few shots at a 2x4 at 100yds and then go look at the holes on the other side.

One other bonus they very rarely ricochet. Read this and you will know everything you ever wanted

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

I have used a .17 HMR only a few times. Last year I used one to shoot prarie dogs and one coyote. The p-dogs were 150 yards and under and it basically turned them inside out. The yote was about 60 yards away and after a singe shot to the heart / lung area he ran about 40 yards before expiring. Small hole going in and no exit but the insides were like mush. The little frangible bullet was probably like a small grenade going off inside. I liked the little gun, in this case an H&R Topper Heavy Barrel with a 4x12 Leupold scope. I may buy one some day myself.

HOSS":2xidsemj said:
I have used a .17 HMR only a few times. Last year I used one to shoot prarie dogs and one coyote. The p-dogs were 150 yards and under and it basically turned them inside out. The yote was about 60 yards away and after a singe shot to the heart / lung area he ran about 40 yards before expiring. Small hole going in and no exit but the insides were like mush. The little frangible bullet was probably like a small grenade going off inside. I liked the little gun, in this case an H&R Topper Heavy Barrel with a 4x12 Leupold scope. I may buy one some day myself.

You are a sharp fella Hoss. Most guys put a 10 dollar scope on a $1,000 rifle. You put a high dollar scope on a modest priced rifle. :tiphat: :clap:

3waycross":vxdlyl21 said:
HOSS":vxdlyl21 said:

You are a sharp fella Hoss. Most guys put a 10 dollar scope on a $1,000 rifle. You put a high dollar scope on a modest priced rifle. :tiphat: :clap:

You got that right on a gun most won't shoot over 25 rounds a year with and carry a fifty cent pocket knife 365.

Well, I'm gonna buck the trend and say I don't see what all the hype is about. Yes, its a fast, flat round. But the rounds are expensive and very limited choice of rounds and weights. I had a marlin also, and it was very picky about what it liked to feed. They are a fun rifle to shoot. But compare ammo price and ballistics and ammo choices, I still feel that the 22 mag is an all around better choice IF you have to choose one over the other.

Thanks for all the reply's. I might try it out but seems a good scope is higher than I gave for the gun. I have a 22mag so I will compare how they shoot.
I have been looking for a 22 hornet but rarely find one for sale around here. Did buy a Winchester 370 16 guage a couple of weeks ago. Had been looking for one for 3 years. They are not expensive or rare but seemed like I could never find one for sale.

The 22 mag is good at 100 yds but rarely shoot it. Use a 22/250 most of the time. Have not even put a scope on the 17 yet.
About any of them will shoot better than the owner. I am not a real good shot like some.

kenny thomas":3e125ns0 said:
The 22 mag is good at 100 yds but rarely shoot it. Use a 22/250 most of the time. Have not even put a scope on the 17 yet.
About any of them will shoot better than the owner. I am not a real good shot like some.

22 Mag is the weapon of choice here,I have three. There is always one within reach to dispatch varmits.

Its my opinion the 17hmr is a fad round that really has nothing to brag about as a round of choice. Its a good round, but too pricey when compared to other choices that do the same or better.

hooknline":3vo3d8ki said:
Its my opinion the 17hmr is a fad round that really has nothing to brag about as a round of choice. Its a good round, but too pricey when compared to other choices that do the same or better.

What do you pay for 22mag. It has to be close to the same price. Besides 22 mag what other choices are you referring to?

I honestly can't remember what I paid per round for the 22mag as I bought a bunch of it a few years ago. I do remember the cost for 22mag 50 ct was less than 17hmr 25 ct.
Other choices..22 long, 222, 22-250, 22 hornet...anything 22 based is cheaper than the 17 rounds because there are more in production and therefore less costly. All the above choices perform in some way very close to the 17. Close enough to consider the other cheaper, more readily avail round

hooknline":2f7d4r8t said:
I honestly can't remember what I paid per round for the 22mag as I bought a bunch of it a few years ago. I do remember the cost for 22mag 50 ct was less than 17hmr 25 ct.
Other choices..22 long, 222, 22-250, 22 hornet...anything 22 based is cheaper than the 17 rounds because there are more in production and therefore less costly. All the above choices perform in some way very close to the 17. Close enough to consider the other cheaper, more readily avail round

The closest apples to apples comparison would be;
17 HMR Remington $16.79
22 mag Remington w/33gr ballistic tips for $18.79

These prices are from Midway USA. I can buy 17hmr right now at the feed and farm store for $10.99 but my gun doesn't like it(which means it only shoots over 1 in groups at 100yds instead of under in) BTW I have yet to see a 22mag that will group better than either one of my 17's and believe me it's been tried, and as long as I'm bragging I have shot small game (rabbits) in the head at 110yds with my Ruger Single Six pistol(in 17HMR) with a 1MOA red dot scope, off a rest of course.

Keep in mind that all other rimfire 22's(other than 22mag) cannot even begin to match the 17HMR for energy, speed, and BC. The 22mag remington ballistic ammo is an incredible round and doesn't ricochet like all the other lead or FMJ rimfire rounds will and do.

all comprisons to centerfire ammo are not valid as far as I am concerned but just for shyts and giggles the cheap 40ct Winchester white box of 22/250 is $31.99

hooknline if you don't like the 17 don't buy one but I believe your info to be at the very least outdated. Sure there is cheaper ammo for the 22mag but it won't perform ballistically like the premium Remington ballistic tips, and they ain't cheap.

Sounds like your more up to speed on pricing and ballistics than I am. I had a nice 17hmr, but that was 4 years ago and got rid of it for the 22 mag. And I do shoot the ballistic rems in the mag....but I don't see in your pricing comparison the per box count. If that was for 25 of the 17 and 50 of the 22mag..you have made my point for me. But like I said, its been a few years. The 22 mag I have now is just as accurate as the 17hmr I had. Maybe not out past 150yds, but to that point the only differnce I saw was cost of ammo and that the 17 was faster. Now quit trying to bait me into a 17hmr vs 22mag comparison again :mrgreen:

Heck I have got it and will probably not sell it so I will see which I like. What do you think about the 22 hornet? I already have the 22/250 and it is comparing apples to oranges.

hooknline":bl592sfy said:
Sounds like your more up to speed on pricing and ballistics than I am. I had a nice 17hmr, but that was 4 years ago and got rid of it for the 22 mag. And I do shoot the ballistic rems in the mag....but I don't see in your pricing comparison the per box count. If that was for 25 of the 17 and 50 of the 22mag..you have made my point for me. But like I said, its been a few years. The 22 mag I have now is just as accurate as the 17hmr I had. Maybe not out past 150yds, but to that point the only differnce I saw was cost of ammo and that the 17 was faster. Now quit trying to bait me into a 17hmr vs 22mag comparison again :mrgreen:

hookline they are both packed 50 in the box and the 22mag costs $2.00 more. what is not making sense about that?

I just want to make you wish you hadn't sold the 17. :cry2: :cry2: :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts