17 WSM

Help Support CattleToday:

bear

Reaction score
Has anyone heard if any rifle manufacturers, besides Savage and Franklin Armory, will be making rifles in the 17 wsm?

They were the only ones I saw on the auction sites, except for 1 by Valquertson that costs too much to even think about shooting

dun":m5kdq4oz said:
They were the only ones I saw on the auction sites, except for 1 by Valquertson that costs too much to even think about shooting

That is all that I have seen too. Looking for something more than the Savage B Mag and not as much as the Franklin AR or Valquertson.

Would like something more than 22 mag. or 17 HMR for coyotes and bobcats during Missouri firearms deer season. The 17 WSM looks like it has a little more thump.

Missouri Conservation Department requires rimfire during firearms deer season when hunting properties other than your own.

For coyotes I would prefer a 22 mag over a 17. I used a number of CF 17s and wasn;t always pleased with the results on yotes.

dun":2ufgt2ca said:
For coyotes I would prefer a 22 mag over a 17. I used a number of CF 17s and wasn;t always pleased with the results on yotes.

The BMag thumps the 22mag. It's a nasty round. The problems are myriad though. Quality of firearms and ammo and supply of ammo.

I would however take the bmag with a 25gr bullet over a 22mag any day.

dun":1ydb73iq said:

That has been my experience with the HMR, just not quite enough.

Been calling in the timber. Shots are 75 yards or less.

Another week, I can get back to centerfire or maybe even shotgun.

Thanks Dun

You could get a T/C Contender frame and have Fred at Bullberry make a barrel for 17 WSM. But they are probably so back logged you wouldn;t get it for a couple of months unless they happen to have one in stock.
http://bullberry.com/

I probably won't get anything done for this season. We'll see what the shot show brings.

I've been buying ammo when I see it. I did hear that Hornady is supposed to start making the round also.

kenny thomas":qxd4iqh7 said:
Ever tried a 22 hornet? I like that pretty good.

Kenny i believe he is in a situation where he has to use a rimfire. BTW Dun I like the Bulberry idea. I have a Bmag heavy barrel and to be honest it is the first(of MANY) Savage i have ever been disapointed in. Whatever anyone does do not buy the lighter barreled version of this rifle. They do heat up and they do start slingling shots all over the place.

3waycross":3sjl1ni5 said:
bear":3sjl1ni5 said:
Any body heard anything about Ruger's new 77/17 17 WSM?
Just ran across it on their website.

I belive my heart just skipped a beat.

Specified weight seems a little heavy for small caliber. Must be a little heavier barrel.
Not sure if they are even in production yet. Gonna find out!

Looked it up last night. It's a beautiful rifle. Walnut stock with SS action and barrel. Doesn't look like a bull barrel. More likely a hvy sporter contour like my 77/17.

Latest posts