270 WSM

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a 10 ga. Browning BPS with synthetic stock that used to jump and hit me in the cheek everytime I pulled the trigger.

I packed the stock with lead wool. It doesn't jump anymore but it weighs 11 pounds.

Don't shoot it much unless I drive the gator to the blind.

Bought a 7 mm mag for elk cause it was a real good deal. It really isn't bad, but the trade off is it has a muzzle break that will cause you to lose hearing for a week. I wear hearing protection except when hunting, but I'm thinking about getting some of those hearing aid like deals that will also dampen loud noises. My ears are ringing just thinking about it.

I looked into the WSM at the time and really liked the ballistics. I didn't pull the trigger cause I was worried that it would be hard to find ammo out in the boonies.

Commercialfarmer":27xmjh1v said:
Bought a 7 mm mag for elk cause it was a real good deal. It really isn't bad, but the trade off is it has a muzzle break that will cause you to lose hearing for a week. I wear hearing protection except when hunting, but I'm thinking about getting some of those hearing aid like deals that will also dampen loud noises. My ears are ringing just thinking about it.

Or just cut the brake off and be done with it.

cfpinz":hq6k3vy4 said:
Commercialfarmer":hq6k3vy4 said:

Or just cut the brake off and be done with it.

You don't have to cut it off. Just unscrew it and have your Gunsmith make a screw on cap to protect the threads. Either that or replace it with a Vais muzzlebrake the decibel level on those is quite a bit lower.

3waycross":1q7zn9fa said:
You don't have to cut it off. Just unscrew it and have your Gunsmith make a screw on cap to protect the threads. Either that or replace it with a Vais muzzlebrake the decibel level on those is quite a bit lower.

I've seen some that were that were integral. Most of the caps I've seen were tacky, unless they match the contour/finish seamlessly.

I had a M70 Classic 338 Win a few years ago that I considered putting a brake on, that thing was murder on me. Got ticked off and sold it, replaced it with that pre-64 300 Win that I was toting this year - best rifle I've ever owned.

3waycross":2q2y2y7m said:

I'll look into the vais, I'd like to try and keep a brake on it if possible. I don't want to develop a flinch.

Latest posts