270 WSM

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Anybody have any real world experience with this cartridge? I have an opportunity to do some trading on a Winchester Mod 70 in this caliber. Published ballistic tables look awesome. It should be a heck of a deer / elk cartridge.

Kicks so hard it will kill your brother in the next town. I had one and used it with a fair bit of success from Antelope to Elk. Sold it to one of my "adopted" sons. I have him loaded with some 140gr Accubonds and he loves it. Plan on a muzzle brake, or some serious bruises!

Like my 300WSM more than words can express!

3waycross":h219kxff said:
Kicks so hard it will kill your brother in the next town. I had one and used it with a fair bit of success from Antelope to Elk. Sold it to one of my "adopted" sons. I have him loaded with some 140gr Accubonds and he loves it. Plan on a muzzle brake, or some serious bruises!

I am not scared of recoil (shoot allot of 12 ga. slugs for deer) but I am also not a glutten for punishment either. If I get the deal I think I will get it will be heavily in my favor. I can always trade it off for something easier on the dental fillings :mrgreen:

HOSS":28uko0uw said:
3waycross":28uko0uw said:

I am not scared of recoil (shoot allot of 12 ga. slugs for deer) but I am also not a glutten for punishment either. If I get the deal I think I will get it will be heavily in my favor. I can always trade it off for something easier on the dental fillings :mrgreen:

A Vais muzzle brake will make it fun to shoot. I loved mine but the young man wanted it pretty bad and i am his second Dad so i gave it up.

ousoonerfan22":1ljeuu9e said:
3way,
Was your rifle one of the short barrel lightweight rifles?

270 wsm featherweight standard barrel. Controlled round feed Model 70

I have a couple of Winchester Classics in 270wsm and 300wsm.

I also have a couple of Kimber Classics in 270wsm and 300wsm. I really like my Kimbers. Seems like the wsm cartridges offer something close to Weatherby performance without paying for Weatherby cartridges.

All of my wsm rifles seem to have less recoil than my 257 Weatherbys. Some people that are recoil sensitive may notice a difference, particularly in a light weight rifle like the Kimber. I don't feel much difference between the wsm's and standard 270 or 30-06. Probably notice recoil more off the bench than when hunting.

Been shooting 110grn Barnes Tipped Triple Shock out of the 270wsm and 130grn Barnes Tipped Triple Shock out of the 300wsm for deer.
For elk out of the 300wsm, 180grn Trophy Bonded Tip.

bear":279rm60j said:

I also have a couple of Kimber Classics in 270wsm and 300wsm. I really like my Kimbers. Seems like the wsm cartridges offer something close to Weatherby performance without paying for Weatherby cartridges.

All of my wsm rifles seem to have less recoil than my 257 Weatherbys. Some people that are recoil sensitive may notice a difference, particularly in a light weight rifle like the Kimber. I don't feel much difference between the wsm's and standard 270 or 30-06. Probably notice recoil more off the bench than when hunting.

Been shooting 110grn Barnes Tipped Triple Shock out of the 270wsm and 130grn Barnes Tipped Triple Shock out of the 300wsm for deer.

The reason you aren't feeling the recoil is because you are shooting an extremely light for caliber bullet in the 270WSM shoot some 140's or 150's in it and it will wake you up!

I have shot several hundred rounds thru my Dad's old Belgium made 257 Weatherby and never thout it had much recoil.

3waycross":cdl3acc3 said:
bear":cdl3acc3 said:

The reason you aren't feeling the recoil is because you are shooting an extremely light for caliber bullet in the 270WSM shoot some 140's or 150's in it and it will wake you up!

I have shot several hundred rounds thru my Dad's old Belgium made 257 Weatherby and never thout it had much recoil.

Yea maybe,,, not feeling much difference though between 180 grn Trophy Bonds out of the 300wsm and 180's out of the 30-06.

That's cuz the 300WSM is such a fine cartridge it really doesn't use that much more powder than the 06 and it's more efficient. The sweetest 30 cal of all for recoil is the 300H&H Mag. All you get with it is a big ole push!

The 300 wsm has become one of my favorites. I have managed recoil with different weight rifles to different grn bullets. The 130grn Barnes has been great on the whitetails and mulies.

The lighter weight bullets in the 270wsm have been comparable to the 257 Weatherby.

I have a Sako 270wsm. I am pleased with it. It has a tight group and has some good range but with the type hunting I do with most shots under 400 yards I'm not so sure its a little bit much and wonder if the trade off on the extra kick for the extra ballistics is really worth it since my .270 can easily handle most of my shooting. And there is the issue of finding bullets. .270's are easily found where the WSM can sometimes be limited. Of course neither have let me down yet so I'd call it a toss up between the two.

[quote

I have shot several hundred rounds thru my Dad's old Belgium made 257 Weatherby and never thout it had much recoil.[/quote]

I have shot many of those 270wsm silver ballistic tip 150gr in my 270 Remington bolt action. Good load, and a good bullet.
I reload my own mostly now, using Sierra boatails with a 150gr load. its called knockdown power.

Limomike":2jz61vac said:
[quote

I have shot many of those 270wsm silver ballistic tip 150gr in my 270 Remington bolt action. Good load, and a good bullet.
I reload my own mostly now, using Sierra boatails with a 150gr load. its called knockdown power.[/quote]

You are getting two different cartridges mixed up Mike. The 270WSM will not fire in a regular 270....and yes the 150grainer hits pretty hard it carries it energy much better that the light bullets. It also kicks harder!

3waycross":3h2tqcgl said:

You're on here fussing about recoil from a 270 WSM? How many times did you try to buy that 300 Win Mag off of me back in October? :shock:

cfpinz":3o31occv said:
3waycross":3o31occv said:

You're on here fussing about recoil from a 270 WSM? How many times did you try to buy that 300 Win Mag off of me back in October? :shock:

Wasn't gonna shoot it it was just purty.
Actually i have shot several 300 winmags and they all kicked less than the 270wsm. It has a recoil curse similar to a 7mag and i don't like those either.

I really did like yours tho ;-)

Caustic Burno":22hzj7ol said:
Man you are dead on on the 7 mag, I had a 700 ADL that was so bad I gave it away.
I have a BDL in 7 mag that isn't bad at all. Now the little Model 7 in 7mm-08 kicks like the devil. My 12 gauge slug gun is downright BRUTAL :shock: 10 rounds off the bench and I need a chiropracter and a dentist :x

HOSS":awnbuo6u said:
Caustic Burno":awnbuo6u said:
Man you are dead on on the 7 mag, I had a 700 ADL that was so bad I gave it away.
I have a BDL in 7 mag that isn't bad at all. Now the little Model 7 in 7mm-08 kicks like the devil. My 12 gauge slug gun is downright BRUTAL :shock: 10 rounds off the bench and I need a chiropracter and a dentist :x

Had an 870 that was a killer once, I wonder sometimes if you just get one made on Friday evening or Monday morning.

Latest posts