17 HMR

Help Support CattleToday:

I love mine for coon, coyotes but has to be a real still day to get much accuracy Out to 50 yards+. Can't knock coon out of tree with ballistic tips but blow them right out with hollow points. Mine is Mossberg bilt action and is loud as hell and never will shoot cow in barn again!

I got a Marlin with bull barrel, just got it for them overgrown crows at calving season, it will do a number on them, Thats all I use it for really like it.

I've got a .17 savage stainless with a bull barrel. Deadly accurate. Decently priced ammo that's usually easy to find. Fun to shoot. I have a couple of .22 mags that IMO are just as good but I can't find cartridges. I guess it depends on what you want to shoot at. They all have a purpose. Friend has a custom built .221 Fireball. Never seen or heard of that caliber before or since. But it's a bad boy for a small caliber.

True Grit Farms":26ik6wb3 said:
You must be living right CB. I like all guns, but I use a 22 for squirrels.

I hope so as I am tryin real hard to reserve a seat on the train to the Pearly Gates.
Just put it on the mule for varmints. Shot both hogs yesterday with it kind of amazed went clean through
both skulls with exit wounds.
Haven't tried any distance shooting with it yet the positive you can find ammo.
I am nursing the two bricks of 22 mag I have left my favorite varmint gun.

They are fun guns. Simular use like a 22Mag. Great for critters, hogs, coyotes, a deer if it were legal.

My brother has a stainless marlin with a bull barrel and leupold 3x9 vx1. We would tape quarters to boards at 50-75 yds and shoot a hole in the center. Just did it cause we thought it was neat to carry quarters with bullet holes in them.

I do know that a 22mag seems to hit harder than the 17hmr. I think the 22mag hits harder than my 5mm also. But the 5mm Remington is way quieter than both the 17hmr and 22mag.
Quarters, you must be a high roller Brute.

JMJ Farms":1px0xra2 said:
I've got a .17 savage stainless with a bull barrel. Deadly accurate. Decently priced ammo that's usually easy to find. Fun to shoot. I have a couple of .22 mags that IMO are just as good but I can't find cartridges. I guess it depends on what you want to shoot at. They all have a purpose. Friend has a custom built .221 Fireball. Never seen or heard of that caliber before or since. But it's a bad boy for a small caliber.
I have the same thing. Love it! on a calm day it is dead on accurate out to 100 yards easily! Shoot alot of Nutria with it around here. Plus the ammo is much easier to come by then .22 is, and the price difference is getting slimmer. Considering getting the new Savage A17 17HMR. (http://www.coastalfarm.com/product/sava ... tic-rifle/) Shot one of my friends and loved it! Not as hardcore accurate as the Bolt Action, but still very good!

RoppFamilyFarm":1x91h1h3 said:
JMJ Farms":1x91h1h3 said:
I have the same thing. Love it! on a calm day it is dead on accurate out to 100 yards easily! Shoot alot of Nutria with it around here. Plus the ammo is much easier to come by then .22 is, and the price difference is getting slimmer. Considering getting the new Savage A17 17HMR. (http://www.coastalfarm.com/product/sava ... tic-rifle/) Shot one of my friends and loved it! Not as hardcore accurate as the Bolt Action, but still very good!

I don't want to be one of your friends! If you're gonna shoot me! :hide: forgive me, I couldn't resist.

All jokes aside, I love shooting mine too. Savage guns have come a long way since they started. Good quality and price IMO. I would shoot my AR more but I need to finish "tricking it out". It only has the iron sights.

JMJ Farms":2q5f7kzr said:
RoppFamilyFarm":2q5f7kzr said:
JMJ Farms":2q5f7kzr said:

I don't want to be one of your friends! If you're gonna shoot me! :hide: forgive me, I couldn't resist.

All jokes aside, I love shooting mine too. Savage guns have come a long way since they started. Good quality and price IMO. I would shoot my AR more but I need to finish "tricking it out". It only has the iron sights.
jmj you beat me to it :lol: the fact that he shot his friend is not to bad its that he loved it :shock: i dont think he would be a very good friend :lol:

JMJ Farms":iwdar6nb said:
RoppFamilyFarm":iwdar6nb said:
JMJ Farms":iwdar6nb said:

jmj you beat me to it :lol: the fact that he shot his friend is not to bad its that he loved it :shock: i dont think he would be a very good friend :lol:[/quote]

:lol2: looks like I should have phrased that a little differently :dunce:.... lol. Gave me a good laugh anyways.

I have been thinking about getting one since all the problems with 22 ammo. I still kick myself in the butt for not buying a brand new stainless mini 14 223 it was dirt cheap at Cabelas.

I have a marlin with bull barrel as well... I love that gun it rides in the truck tractor and ranger with me everywhere I go. Mine is really accurate and has killed so many foxes its a shame and some coyote and bobcat.

Well I am convinced it will put a hurt on a hog at 70 yards.
Shot a 2x8 at 70 yards and it blew right through it with a nasty hole on the back side.
For a five dollar rifle I will give it a whirl for a while or 22 mag ammo becomes available.

They sure must have improved 17 bullets in the past few years. I messed with a 17 Bee and 17 Remington for a couple of years. Anything much bigger then a large jackrabbit the bullet woud just pass through and not expand. Lost a lot of coyotes using the dam things. Had a customer with a 17 flinstone super eyebunger that we had to have bullets turned out of solid stock. Normal bullets would disintegrate a short ways out of the barrel. Couldn;t even chrono it until we went to the solid bullets. Don;t recall the speed but it was north of 5k fps. Barrel was good for about 100 shots then we had to pull it, cut off the chanber and rechamber it. It jsut burned the snot out of the throat for the first couple of inches. What would you expect from a 22-250 necked down to 17

Latest posts