17 HMR

Help Support CattleToday:

JT> Won a Savage 17 HMR a few years ago in a raffle. It was Savage accurate (read good) and had plenty of juice for anything up to
coyote size in my opinion. Distance would depend on the glass you put on and the conditions. It was the only thing I had in
17 caliber and the only Savage in the inventory and I had 'tools' that would do the job. I think I had it for six months or so and
someone I know came into the feed store one day while I was there and offered me a fair price. I might have hung on to it if I had
acquired earlier in my career. I would rate it good for what it was intended for. LVR

Get a 17 Super mag if you're going with a 17. One in my truck at all times
Can you tell a difference much in the HMR and the Super HMR? That sounds interesting.

Good read as I have seen ammo for the Super before 4-sale (a guy at the flea market had some on his table), but knew very little about the gun.

I bought this 17 hmr heavy barrel some time ago and have never shot it. I mounted a small Leupold scope on it today and ordered some CCI ammo. I usually use a 22 mag., but was wondering if the 17 would be more accurate? As CB says I bet wind would affect the little round. When I get the ammo I am going to see how accurate it is.

oijTL5G.jpg

Last edited:
I think it is great and I got plenty of ammo for them if you get one.. I don't like the Savage rifle but the barrel and stock has been cut down on mine so it's very handy as a truck gun. You couldn't give me a 17 hmr If I had to keep it. Everyone wants my super mag

JT > On reflection I think it was a 17 WSM I had as it was a center fire. Sorry I missed that. LVR

Can you tell a difference much in the HMR and the Super HMR? That sounds interesting.

Good read as I have seen ammo for the Super before 4-sale (a guy at the flea market had some on his table), but knew very little about the gun.

I bought this 17 hmr heavy barrel some time ago and have never shot it. I mounted a small Leupold scope on it today and ordered some CCI ammo. I usually use a 22 mag., but was wondering if the 17 would be more accurate? As CB says I bet wind would affect the little round. When I get the ammo I am going to see how accurate it is.

oijTL5G.jpg
My friend has one. They were hitting prairie dogs out to 100yrs with it.

I still like my 22 mag.

We have a lot of prairie dogs and for them I prefer my 17 HMR's over any other caliber.

Out to 100, the 17hmr is plum deadly and accurate!
That lil pill moves fast enough wind isnt a HUGE concern. Past that distance... yep

Makes rabbits go from alive to dead instantly.

My brother has one and we were shooting holes in a quarter at a pretty decent range. I've never been able to get the accuracy out of a 22 mag that we get out of the 17hmr.
Accuracy is all relative. I used to carry a dime in my wallet that I hit with my 22mag, shooting against my buddy's 17hmr.

I like the heavier bullets of a 22mag. I'd be afraid to try and knock a fat str with a 17, but we always use a 22mag.

You will definitely get more distance from a 17.

Accuracy is all relative. I used to carry a dime in my wallet that I hit with my 22mag, shooting against my buddy's 17hmr.

I like the heavier bullets of a 22mag. I'd be afraid to try and knock a fat str with a 17, but we always use a 22mag.

You will definitely get more distance from a 17.
I had the marlin 22 mag and my brother had the marlin 17 hmr. Side by side, with them locked in, my 22 mag would walk around the quarter. You would clip it some times, hit it solid some times, miss it some times. With the 17 it would pop it pretty close to the middle every time.

Maybe some thing was wrong with my 22 mag but I know it won't compete with that 17 out to any distance.

I had the marlin 22 mag and my brother had the marlin 17 hmr. Side by side, with them locked in, my 22 mag would walk around the quarter. You would clip it some times, hit it solid some times, miss it some times. With the 17 it would pop it pretty close to the middle every time.

Maybe some thing was wrong with my 22 mag but I know it won't compete with that 17 out to any distance.
I have two Marlin 22 mags and my experience has been about the same. I hope the 17 will be dead on at 100 yards. I had a Salvage 22 mag that anything I shot at I hit it seemed. I traded it and wish I had not. Matter of fact I tried to buy it back, but the guy already had sold it.

I have two Marlin 22 mags and my experience has been about the same. I hope the 17 will be dead on at 100 yards. I had a Salvage 22 mag that anything I shot at I hit it seemed. I traded it and wish I had not. Matter of fact I tried to buy it back, but the guy already had sold it.
I have a savage 22 mag I won in high school selling magazines.
I won a .22 scope too and it's still on it.
Never been real accurate but I'm sure it's the scope.
This was 1975-76.
It use to go everywhere I would go when I was in the woods.
Love that gun.

Hmm. Maybe a production flaw. I have a Marlin 22mag. I shoot pigeons off the top of the 65ft silo. Not sure what that distance equates to. I've smoked prairie dogs at around that 70yd mark. But like I said earlier. Accuracy is all relative. If I hit a prairie dog in the upper body or the eye it probably won't make any difference to the prairie dog.
The only reason I have mine so accurate is that we use it when we butcher fat lambs. I know it's over kill, but I don't have a 22lr that I am confident in to accurately one 'n done a lamb at 30yds.

What is your thoughts on this round for accuracy and small targets?
I love the .17 hmr I have shot and killed coyotes ... bobcats fox squirrels ... I don't recommend it on coyotes but it can be done... I must say it would be my favorite small caliber rifle if bullets were cheaper.

Latest posts