17 HMR

Help Support CattleToday:

hooknline":2sv96a4s said:
Sounds like your more up to speed on pricing and ballistics than I am. I had a nice 17hmr, but that was 4 years ago and got rid of it for the 22 mag. And I do shoot the ballistic rems in the mag....but I don't see in your pricing comparison the per box count. If that was for 25 of the 17 and 50 of the 22mag..you have made my point for me. But like I said, its been a few years. The 22 mag I have now is just as accurate as the 17hmr I had. Maybe not out past 150yds, but to that point the only differnce I saw was cost of ammo and that the 17 was faster. Now quit trying to bait me into a 17hmr vs 22mag comparison again :mrgreen:

You either have a really good .22MAG or a really sorry 17HMR. :D What type of rifles are they? My Marlin .22MAG is no comparison against my Marlin 17HMR.

Rahter then looking at speed past 100 yds, look at energy. I have a 17 Bee and have had in the past 17 Hornet, 17 Fireball and 17 Remington. After a couple of hundred yards even the 17 Rem starts to pale in comparison to things like the 22 Bee or the 221 Fireball. Since I stored up components years ago I have no idea in todays market what it costs to reload any of the centerfires but it's bound to be less then buying rimfires. Now the 17 Flintstone Super Eyebunger puts thewm all in the shade excpet ofr the 22-250 and 220 swift. You have to set the barrel back on it eveyr couple of hundred rounds, but it is FAST. Oh yeah, you cant use any of the readily available 17 bullets with it, takes those that are turned from solid metal.

kenny thomas":2jxw5vy9 said:
3waycross, what tip do you use and what weight?

Kenny most 17 ammo is ballistic tipped, I have tried the 20gr hunting round they came out with and it is a solid bullet. But it didn't shoot that well for me.
I use hornady when accuracy is not critical(plinking, can shooting) but for serious groups or for hunting(rabbits) I use the Remington!

kenny thomas":20m0g9wl said:
What came with it was the solid 20gr Hornady. I will try some Remington also.

Try several brands. You might be surprised that your rifle likes a cheap brand. Mine didn't.

I see where someone is selling one with a 15.5gr bullet I beleieve it is very frangible.

kenny thomas":2a1kjcs1 said:
Heck I have got it and will probably not sell it so I will see which I like. What do you think about the 22 hornet? I already have the 22/250 and it is comparing apples to oranges.

You couldn't give me a Hornet. A .223 is a far better round and much cheaper to shoot. I own 3 .223's all bolt action and they shoot extremely well.

dun":34ry220b said:
Rahter then looking at speed past 100 yds, look at energy. I have a 17 Bee and have had in the past 17 Hornet, 17 Fireball and 17 Remington. After a couple of hundred yards even the 17 Rem starts to pale in comparison to things like the 22 Bee or the 221 Fireball. Since I stored up components years ago I have no idea in todays market what it costs to reload any of the centerfires but it's bound to be less then buying rimfires. Now the 17 Flintstone Super Eyebunger puts thewm all in the shade excpet ofr the 22-250 and 220 swift. You have to set the barrel back on it eveyr couple of hundred rounds, but it is FAST. Oh yeah, you cant use any of the readily available 17 bullets with it, takes those that are turned from solid metal.

That one of your creations, what case is it based on the 300 H&H? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

3waycross":m4anuvvu said:
dun":m4anuvvu said:

That one of your creations, what case is it based on the 300 H&H? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Nope it came out back in the 50s/maybe early 60s. The Flintstone part was on an improved case(that was an idiot cusomter of mines idea) the rest is just a plain jane 22-250 necked down to 17. All the improved did was burn more powder and more barrel

ive killed hogs at 100 plus yards with my 17 . Head shots . I prefer to keep my 22-250 in my truck . With the wind we have it doesn't drift as bad . But the 17 will do the job . I have the marlin stainless fluted bull barrel . Laminated stock. Nice gun . For rabbits I prefer 22 shorts .

Looks like their's a recall on the Remington 17 HMR model 597 semi auto.
and also a warning not to use the 17 Hmr ammo in a semi auto rifle.
Nephew bought the Remington model 597 and had to send it back to Remington and they rebored it to a 22 mag. Don't know the full story but you can google Recall on Remington model 597 for the detail.
From what I gather the rounds are exploding in the chamber.

Cal

Calman":3lgeya6a said:
Looks like their's a recall on the Remington 17 HMR model 597 semi auto.
and also a warning not to use the 17 Hmr ammo in a semi auto rifle.
Nephew bought the Remington model 597 and had to send it back to Remington and they rebored it to a 22 mag. Don't know the full story but you can google Recall on Remington model 597 for the detail.
From what I gather the rounds are exploding in the chamber.

Cal

Cal
The 597 is a POS. I owned one in 22mag and hated it by the time I shot the first box of shells throuugh it. You are right about the recall, however they wouldn't even try to rebore a 17 to 22 mag. They either gave him a new rifle or possibly rebarelled it to 22 mag. I have been through sending a couple of rifles back and I would rather be staked out in an Anthill than have to do it again. I went through 3 replacements with T/C trying to get one of their 243's that didn't come with a damaged barrel from the factory.

3waycross":21cntxiq said:
HOSS":21cntxiq said:
I have used a .17 HMR only a few times. Last year I used one to shoot prarie dogs and one coyote. The p-dogs were 150 yards and under and it basically turned them inside out. The yote was about 60 yards away and after a singe shot to the heart / lung area he ran about 40 yards before expiring. Small hole going in and no exit but the insides were like mush. The little frangible bullet was probably like a small grenade going off inside. I liked the little gun, in this case an H&R Topper Heavy Barrel with a 4x12 Leupold scope. I may buy one some day myself.

You are a sharp fella Hoss. Most guys put a 10 dollar scope on a $1,000 rifle. You put a high dollar scope on a modest priced rifle. :tiphat: :clap:

Back when I was a kid I started shooting BR competitions with a friend and mentor. One of the lessons he drove into my head was his minimum cost rule of thumb........whatever you spend on the rifle spend half of that price on a scope at a minimum. So a $1,000 rifle gets a minimum of a $500 scope. I started buying Leupolds and have never had a bad one. To me the optics are as good if not better than most of the 2x's the price European optics. The H&R Topper and scope belongs to my brother-in-law who refuses to buy a cheap scope no matter what gun he puts it on. He likes Leupold and Swarovski.

I love the comments about the .17 ammo being so expensive. How much difference is there really between one round and the other? How many of us jump in the HD diesel trucks to go up to the store to buy our box or two of ammo?

The two rounds are nothing alike. A smaller animal might be wounded by a through and through with the 22mag but a 17 hitting the same animal in the same way will more likely end a life instantly. The .17 exchanges quite a bit more energy than the 22mag in most cases. That's why they tend to explode with the .17.

While my hunting partner prefers his 30.06 or his 7 mm mag for deer, I've stopped more in their tracks with my .222. I've never had a pass through or had to go find anything I've ever shot with my .222. There's a lot to say for the small fast rounds.

If I was going to have only one rifle, it'd be the 22mag. But who really only has one rifle?

my sons first deer was shot with a 222 and it was a clean pass thru. double lung and heart. saw the round hit the ground after passing thru and thought it was a miss. joesphus will attest to the fact.just a FYI

hooknline":2bq8evmz said:
my sons first deer was shot with a 222 and it was a clean pass thru. double lung and heart. saw the round hit the ground after passing thru and thought it was a miss. joesphus will attest to the fact.just a FYI

That's the bullet and the shot placement not the rifle!

yes it was 3way.but he daid hes never had a pass thru so i wanted him to know it was a distinct possability

hooknline":342gmu13 said:
yes it was 3way.but he daid hes never had a pass thru so i wanted him to know it was a distinct possability

I agree.

BTW I do not consider the triple duece a fast cartridge. I do love it though. I told my dad he could sell or give away all his guns but that one.

Back to the 17HMR. I got a coyote with Ruger Single Six in 17HMR this morning on my way to Colorado Springs. About 125yds trotting. Man do I love that one MOA Red Dot scope.

Latest posts