“It’s just a job” generation

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm just saying...you ever thought.... maybe it's me.... 😉

Yea, could be you. Haha.
Most likely could be me for putting up with the crap for to long instead of saying $#*# this @#$@ I'm out.

I'm sure, not wanting to work in smoking section after 3 years.
Not pasting a background checks that wasn't required when hired.
Missing one day I'm 3 years.
Having a spider bite with a hole 4 inch or so deep on my leg and barely able to walk. I'm sure I told that brown recluse hey little spider come bite me so I can get fired from work amd have a big scar for life. Haha I can post pictures if you like... ???
I just have this magic I attract bull. That's why I've learned to wear crap kickers all the way up to my butt.... so when the crap gets deep. Haha

Yea, could be you. Haha.
Most likely could be me for putting up with the crap for to long instead of saying $#*# this @#$@ I'm out.

I'm sure, not wanting to work in smoking section after 3 years.
Missing one day I'm 3 years.
Having a spider bite with a hole 4 inch or so deep on my leg and barely able to walk. I'm sure I told that brown recluse hey little spider come bite me so I can get fired from work amd have a big scar for life. Haha I can post pictures if you like... ???
I just have this magic I attract bull. That's why I've learned to wear crap kickers all the way up to my butt.... so when the crap gets deep. Haha
No pictures needed. Wife got bit on the cheek 20 years ago by a brown recluse.
Still has the scar.

Back when I was falling timber I worked for a guy who had 10 fallers working for him. Every week he fired the slowest guy. Generally that was a new guy. That was spring of '85. He was paying $140 a day. Most outfits were paying $120 a day. He expected you to run. Like most jobs in the woods, we finished the job and everyone got laid off for a couple weeks until the next job was ready to start. I found another job closer to home while we were off and didn't go back.

Normally he was pretty easy going..... until he got stressed out and crap hit the fan....I could go in details, don't guess this would be the place nor my business to talk about other people's business. Like everyone, everybody has problems from time to time or all the time... some people are better had hiding theirs. Not my business unless you make it my business....
That's interesting. Apparently I've been lucky. I've worked in education for 27 years, and I do like the professional environment. I've had 7 principals and 5 superintendents, and I've never had a personal issue with any of them. I never felt like any of them singled me out and tried to give me a hard time; they were all the same in that regard. I've always been thankful for that. Now that I've said that, I'll probably have an issue tomorrow, but to this point, it's been great.

Back when I was falling timber I worked for a guy who had 10 fallers working for him. Every week he fired the slowest guy. Generally that was a new guy. That was spring of '85. He was paying $140 a day. Most outfits were paying $120 a day. He expected you to run. Like most jobs in the woods, we finished the job and everyone got laid off for a couple weeks until the next job was ready to start. I found another job closer to home while we were off and didn't go back.
I ask my dad one time why he went to the oil field.
He was working for his grandpa cutting logs with a crosscut saw and skidding them out with mules. He went to work for his uncle building oil derricks in the Groose Creek and Barbers Hill field.
I still remember him saying this,son the smell of the mule farts didn't change, but sawed lumber is better than sawing lumber.
They got problems on that boiler that's slid in the ditch.

Attachments

• 9D823A82-0BCA-4799-8828-FF28D9189DE3.jpeg
    9D823A82-0BCA-4799-8828-FF28D9189DE3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • BF46146C-9285-482E-88F4-1FA6F4B235F9.jpeg
    BF46146C-9285-482E-88F4-1FA6F4B235F9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Is there anyone else here who thinks that we are somewhat responsible for the "it's just a job" attitude. I wonder if the fact that so many people have taken jobs over the years just to "pay the bills" and that attitude has carried on home with us after work? If the current generation grew up hearing parents/neighbors bitching or whining about there days work, why would they want to do that job? What kids/young adults may not realize is that the "pays the bills" job was there so they didn't have to go without. There are lots of people who paid there kids way through because they could, hoping that there kid would do "better". When what we may have really done as a nation is created our own problem, as a lot of kids have never had to really work for what they have. When I was in high school pretty much everyone I knew had to work to get there car and keep it running. Now I drive by the high school and look at what kind of vehicles are in the lot and know that there is no way most are paid for by working high school students. Look at how many of our kids/grandkids have tablets and phones at really young ages. Did they have to work for them? probably not, more than likely these items were bought because they are a good "babysitters" and then the kids will leave us alone so we can do what we want to do uninterrupted. It always amazed me how many little kids had electronics at there siblings sporting events while my daughter was growing up, they hardly ever even watch the game.

sorry for the rant, just my observations.

I retired from a 44 year career with a large engineering company. Like most places, there were all levels of achievers. Top, average, low and "why are they here" types. I would sometimes suggest (somewhat jokingly) that everyone should be fired once a year on Friday and told to apply for their job on Monday. Most would have been right back to work at a wage that matched their ability and productivity. But some would not be able to justify their existence. In a lot of large companies, it is difficult to get rid of low achievers. Nobody wants to address it. Whenever I would jokingly make my suggestion, a few people would be offended. I thought it was brilliant.
When people would complain about the company, the boss, policies, etc, I would sometimes say "Well you could always go on strike. But the danger is if no one notices you are on strike. That would not speak well of your performance."

I retired from a 44 year career with a large engineering company. Like most places, there were all levels of achievers. Top, average, low and "why are they here" types. I would sometimes suggest (somewhat jokingly) that everyone should be fired once a year on Friday and told to apply for their job on Monday. Most would have been right back to work at a wage that matched their ability and productivity. But some would not be able to justify their existence. In a lot of large companies, it is difficult to get rid of low achievers. Nobody wants to address it. Whenever I would jokingly make my suggestion, a few people would be offended. I thought it was brilliant.
When people would complain about the company, the boss, policies, etc, I would sometimes say "Well you could always go on strike. But the danger is if no one notices you are on strike. That would not speak well of your performance."
Did you company not do annual force ranking, cutting the bottom 10%?

Did you company not do annual force ranking, cutting the bottom 10%?
No. Cutbacks occurred based on workload. Engineering company's workload follows capital spending for major industrial expansions and rebuilds. Very cyclical work referred to as feast or famine. No widgets to be produced, just engineering designs for specific projects depending on client's capital spending plans. When very busy, it is hard to cut that bottom 10% unless there are specific complaints. When workload is less than headcount, the 10% would just be the beginning for cuts. I was never cut. Quit a few times, but never left. They convinced me to stay and continue on.

Been around cattle all my life. It's a sicknesses or an addiction. Hired in as a laborer and ended up in charge of the refinery nights, weekends and holidays.
Retired after 33 years, I hired in at a time if you showed initiative the company would educate you. I was trained Root Cause Failure Analyst and instructor. I was trained on the Challenger incident. I was also trained and became an industry analysts on cyclic catalytic reformers .

Is there anyone else here who thinks that we are somewhat responsible for the "it's just a job" attitude. I wonder if the fact that so many people have taken jobs over the years just to "pay the bills" and that attitude has carried on home with us after work? If the current generation grew up hearing parents/neighbors bitching or whining about there days work, why would they want to do that job? What kids/young adults may not realize is that the "pays the bills" job was there so they didn't have to go without. There are lots of people who paid there kids way through because they could, hoping that there kid would do "better". When what we may have really done as a nation is created our own problem, as a lot of kids have never had to really work for what they have. When I was in high school pretty much everyone I knew had to work to get there car and keep it running. Now I drive by the high school and look at what kind of vehicles are in the lot and know that there is no way most are paid for by working high school students. Look at how many of our kids/grandkids have tablets and phones at really young ages. Did they have to work for them? probably not, more than likely these items were bought because they are a good "babysitters" and then the kids will leave us alone so we can do what we want to do uninterrupted. It always amazed me how many little kids had electronics at there siblings sporting events while my daughter was growing up, they hardly ever even watch the game.

Paid for hahahaha I'd bet most have loans... which really would be just making payments for the next 4-7 years... most people don't get a vehicle long enough to actually pay for it. Some people see it as owning. I don't see owning it unless it's paid for. Not making payments... anything you fail to make a payment and the bank or somebody can come get clearly isn't yours. Your renting a house it's not yours, your just throwing money out. .. I'm not a rent payer... but I do like a good renter. Ha.

I always thought it was ridiculous children with phone, tablets, ect. Ours have them they clearly don't babysit while I get anything done. I will tell you they do learn from them sadly. Education shows are where it's at. My didn't work from them, than again they are pretty young kindergarten and pre school.... maybe frown on to make them work for them.

If you want to know what you are worth become self employed.
I was self employed from 8 yrs old to 26. I took a pay cut from 26 to 32 while I worked for a company. Now I'm back to being self employed. I'm much happier here and have been able to replace the income. I don't like riding some one else's train.

Paid for hahahaha I'd bet most have loans... which really would be just making payments for the next 4-7 years... most people don't get a vehicle long enough to actually pay for it. Some people see it as owning. I don't see owning it unless it's paid for. Not making payments... anything you fail to make a payment and the bank or somebody can come get clearly isn't yours. Your renting a house it's not yours, your just throwing money out. .. I'm not a rent payer... but I do like a good renter. Ha.

I always thought it was ridiculous children with phone, tablets, ect. Ours have them they clearly don't babysit while I get anything done. I will tell you they do learn from them sadly. Education shows are where it's at. My didn't work from them, than again they are pretty young kindergarten and pre school.... maybe frown on to make them work for them.

I was self employed from 8 yrs old to 26. I took a pay cut from 26 to 32 while I worked for a company. Now I'm back to being self employed. I'm much happier here and have been able to replace the income. I don't like riding some one else's train.

Yea. I like my job now pretty good....

Like what @Brute 23 said....what fun is it working on someone else's project. I'd rather be making $0. to $5. /hour alone than $90./hour on someone else's project....you can make big leaps and bounds in progress securing you own future without a paycheck. I worked steady until age 40, and then started getting laid off every few years after engineering projects were completed. What I found was the those 4 periods where i was laid off for 2 to 8 months...were the times i jettisoned my wealth. I bought land near urban growth for dimes on the dollar, some were bank foreclosures. At the time being laid-off sucked, but it gave me the time to take risks. I realize now, it was a blessing in disguise. Now I'm grateful for those lay-off periods. Gives you time to WAKE-UP...shake yourself out of your responsible nose-to-the-grindstone w/ blinders-on trance...and go to work for yourself. In my book, everyone has a job...if you're alive you are your own walking job. It's not important that you earn money...what did you do today? what did you "fix" today? What progress was made to benefit you and your family's future?
In my book "Everyone has a Job Already" @Lee VanRoss can be found at Amazon for $9.95 (joke)

Last edited:
Yea, could be you. Haha.

I'm sure, worked there 3 years no issues than they want to require non smoker to work smoking section.
Missing one day in 3 years.
Having a spider bite with a hole 4 inch or so deep on my leg and barely able to walk. I'm sure I told that brown recluse, hey little spider come bite me I can get fired from work and have a big scar for life. Haha I can post pictures if you like... ???
Or the job the man wanted me to give him a "favor"... to keep the job. I don't need a job that bad. Or to feel I owe anybody anything to keep a job. I'm not a hooker I have more self respect, more morals, ect.
I'm not Rosa Parks, not going to change history and don't want to. I will not be disrespected or work in an environment that could cause lung cancer. Now days people sue for that kind of things. I go my way and leave me alone. I know in the end it will all work out, the man cheating on his wife trying to get me to give him a favor at work it will catch up. He was all power tripping at a job...

Like what @Brute 23 said....what fun is it working on someone else's project. I'd rather be making $0. to $5. /hour alone than $90./hour on someone else's project....you can make big leaps and bounds in progress securing you own future without a paycheck. I worked steady until age 40, and then started getting laid off every few years after engineering projects were completed. What I found was the those 4 periods where i was laid off for 2 to 8 months...were the times i jettisoned my wealth. I bought land near urban growth for dimes on the dollar, some were bank foreclosures. At the time being laid-off sucked, but it gave me the time to take risks. I realize now, it was a blessing in disguise. Now I'm grateful for those lay-off periods. Gives you time to WAKE-UP...shake yourself out of your responsible nose-to-the-grindstone w/ blinders-on trance...and go to work for yourself. In my book, everyone has a job...if you're alive you are your own walking job. It's not important that you earn money...what did you do today? what did you "fix" today? What progress was made to benefit you and your family's future?
In my book "Everyone has a Job Already" @Lee VanRoss can be found at Amazon for $9.95 (joke)

Best time to purchase anything... when somebody is laid off or from a drug addict. People that can't make their loan payments when laid off make deals, dope fiends make deals.... work save your money spend cash people want cash money. Most people are more willing to make deals when they see dollars. Cash money!!! You heard me. You see my words....cash. save your money only spend cash money. *big smile. Ha

Latest posts