“It’s just a job” generation

Help Support CattleToday:

Lots of kids go to college now. Because their parents expect them to. Because their friends are going. Because "that's what you do". Some don't have a clue about a field of study. They just go and take some courses. Maybe based on recommendations from an advisor at the school or doing what their friend is doing.

Who should go to college? Those who have a plan and a desire to pursue an occupation that requires a degree in a particular field of study. That plan generally involves some investigation beforehand. Maybe a summer job in that field. Maybe shadowing a person in that field or some volunteer work. Or some detailed knowledge of the field based on a friend or relative. And hopefully some realistic expectations of job availability and pay. If someone has not figured that out, it would probably be better to enter the work force, gain some experience, and try to sort that out. There are many good paying jobs with plenty of job security and a pathway to grow in that field. Available with 2 years of study at a tech school or an apprentice program with an employer. Plumbing, HVAC, welding, electrical, auto repair and many other possibilities. There is college and there is education. They are not the same. You can go to college, maybe even get a degree, and still not get an education. You can also get an education without going to college. Get a good education. College is just one way to do that.
Don't be one of those people to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get a degree in a field with no future. Schools do offer those fields of study. If you don't know, then don't go. Don't commit until you are committed to a plan.

101 on gold digging...

You are leaving out the investor's (stockholders) part in all that.
Nowadays, they, are the owners, and customers as well.
They demand a return on their investment and the biggest return possible. Many companies begin as privately owned, then go public with an IPO and that's where the owner loses control and the company has to operate at the will of the stockholders. If the return on investment drops, the board fires the chief officers (CEO/CFO etc) a
While this is how it should work very often it isn't the case and very few if any stock holders have any input in how the company is ran.
It is all about the next quarters report and stock price
Most all of the upper management including board of directors make millions and millions of their stock options.
Is it just me or is there a huge increase in companies restating quarterly earnings?
Nothing is viewed long term it's all about the next quarters results even if it means long term losses to get a short term gain.

While this is how it should work very often it isn't the case and very few if any stock holders have any input in how the company is ran.
It is all about the next quarters report and stock price
Most all of the upper management including board of directors make millions and millions of their stock options.
Is it just me or is there a huge increase in companies restating quarterly earnings?
Nothing is viewed long term it's all about the next quarters results even if it means long term losses to get a short term gain.
Stock holders should have the right to vote on BoD and C level compensation

The number one share holder in gm owns almost 97 million shares and own less then 7 percent of the total shares .
So do you really think that the board has to really pay any attention to their stock holders beyond the next quarters profit reporting

Big corporations caused allot of the "it's just a job" attitude. I respect my boss and coworkers enough to do my job but don't think I'll ever be a "loyal" employee again. At least not while I'm working for a big company.

I have a bad attitude when it comes to working for other people....
It's just a job attitude works if you like, it works it pays your light bill, puts food on your table, ect. Good, don't bust your butt for somebody else that will replace you in a blink of an eye and even pay someone more doing the same job and even less work.
I worked for a restaurant for 3 years, they fired me after 3 years cause I asked to not have to work in smoking section due to allergies. I didn't work in smoke during the 3 years, I don't smoke, some genius manger decided everybody should rotate smoking section. Now days people sue for that kind of stuff. I never was late, showed up early, never missed a day, always worked over when asked, worked doubles, picked up other people's shifts when asked, ect. I'd careless a job is a job... I can't change people to see my point.
Than the people I worked for for 3 years running their store only employees... after trying the lady to replace me (who was paid$4 more) cause they were afraid I'd get pregnant and not be able to run their store. They cut my hours hoping I'd quit than fires me for calling in with a doctors excuse. Never missed but one other day in 3 years. Some people are wonderful... a job is a job... do you not your employer.
Oh what about the lovely Japanese man I worked for fired me, cause I was bite by a brown recluse spider. Swelled up the size of a baseball. Than had get surgery, I couldn't hardly walk had a big hole in my leg. Never miss a day working there either, wasn't late, always works when scheduled ect. Very wonderful man to work for. He would cuss at closing time stupid American cause there would still be customers.

It's just a job shouldn't be taking seriously, in my opinion.

How many dang jobs have you been fired from altogether?
I worked for a restaurant for 3 years, they fired me after 3 years....

Than the people I worked for for 3 years running their store only employees... They cut my hours hoping I'd quit than fires me for calling in with a doctors excuse.

Oh what about the lovely Japanese man I worked for fired me, cause...

The number one share holder in gm owns almost 97 million shares and own less then 7 percent of the total shares .
So do you really think that the board has to really pay any attention to their stock holders beyond the next quarters profit reporting
What happens is an activist votes via a proxy campaign. Yes, they are very ware of shareholder sentiment

Stock holders should have the right to vote on BoD and C level compensation
They have the right to vote for members and those folks decide C-suite compensation. It's pretty much a party with the company stock. The top few decide were the money goes. I'm sure they all feel their time is super valuable.

Would like to see some of these companies offer stock or stock options to common employees. That could mean a little share dilution but probably not enough that investors would gripe.

Would like to see some of these companies offer stock or stock options to common employees. That could mean a little share dilution but probably not enough that investors would gripe.
I 'think' there are some SEC (maybe US tax code) rules that make that unattractive. Some companies do offer employee stock options on a buy in basis but only as a bonus as part of an already existing profit sharing plan and the stock would be at a set price and usually only at a certain time period.

They have the right to vote for members and those folks decide C-suite compensation.
I understand that. I spent a lot of time around boards and compensation committees.

I am suggesting that stock holders vote directly of C level salaries and the BoD compensation committee recommendations.
Would like to see some of these companies offer stock or stock options to common employees
I agree

How many dang jobs have you been fired from altogether?

Bahahahahaha...

Fired for not working in smoking when I don't smoke....
Fired for having a spider bite and couldn't walk...
Fired for missing 1 day in 3 years... after my boss cussed at me and yelled at me. Remind you I ran their store for 3 years and was their only employee... I always went to work, sick, snow, even after I had a miscarriage, I was there.
Fired for not giving a man a "favorite "
I have more self respect and all, than to need a job for all that mess. I maybe wrong to some.... I'm not going to work my butt off doing what I feel is right than be treated like that. Fired or not. With all the jobs later ai was told I was a good employee, they made a mistake.
Another time I was fired... let go... whatever you want to call ....
I worked for company all good and dandy for a while. I ran the company even. Haha until after months at the company they had even gave me a raise braged about how much they liked me yada yaya yada. Than decided they wanted to do back ground checks.... yea.... another story. I don't pass back ground checks. Bahahahahaha. Apparently something people think are cool in games not real life. It's nothing serious but apparently people like to judge people after seeing a background a get a up tie about things. Eye rolling. I'm not tripping cause I'm still going to be me. Something that happened 20 plus years ago people can judge all they want. To me doesn't matter to mean show me what kind of people they are and I clearly don't care for judgemental people that judge me basic on some bulls 20 plus years ago. Everybody makes mistakes... correct me if I'm wrong. Let me start judge people like I've been judged. Eyes rolling.... no body has time for all that.

Yea I suck. Or maybe it's my choice of people I choose to bust my tail feathers for instead of having the attitude of its just a job and just a pay check. Instead of care more about my family, time, people I care about.... calling in sick to take a skip work hooky day cause my times more important to me than busting my tail for somebody that cares less about me and would replace me in a blink of any eye.

Fired for missing 1 day in 3 years... after my boss cussed at me and yelled at me. Remind you I ran their store for 3 years and was their only employee... I always went to work, sick, snow, even after I had a miscarriage, I was there.
That certainly is a strict attendance policy for a great worker if he fired you for missing 1 day in 3 years. Did you consider him a difficult boss all along?

Last edited:
Bahahahahaha...

Fired for not working in smoking when I don't smoke....
Fired for having a spider bite and couldn't walk...
Fired for not giving a man a "favorite "
I have more self respect and all, than to need a job for all that mess. I maybe wrong to some.... I'm not going to work my butt off doing what I feel is right than be treated like that. Fired or not. With all the jobs later ai was told I was a good employee, they made a mistake.
Another time I was fired... let go... whatever you want to call ....
I worked for company all good and dandy for a while. I ran the company even. Haha until after months at the company they had even gave me a raise braged about how much they liked me yada yaya yada. Than decided they wanted to do back ground checks.... yea.... another story. I don't pass back ground checks. Bahahahahaha. Apparently something people think are cool in games not real life. It's nothing serious but apparently people like to judge people after seeing a background a get a up tie about things. Eye rolling. I'm not tripping cause I'm still going to be me. Something that happened 20 plus years ago people can judge all they want. To me doesn't matter to mean show me what kind of people they are and I clearly don't care for judgemental people that judge me basic on some bulls 20 plus years ago. Everybody makes mistakes... correct me if I'm wrong. Let me start judge people like I've been judged. Eyes rolling.... no body has time for all that.

Yea I suck. Or maybe it's my choice of people I choose to bust my tail feathers for instead of having the attitude of its just a job and just a pay check. Instead of care more about my family, time, people I care about.... calling in sick to take a skip work hooky day cause my times more important to me than busting my tail for somebody that cares less about me and would replace me in a blink of any eye.
Damn shell. You've been fired from more jobs than I've had.

That certainly is a strict attendance policy for a great worker if he fired you for missing 1 day in 3 years. Did you consider him a difficult boss all along?

Normally he was pretty easy going..... until he got stressed out and crap hit the fan....I could go in details, don't guess this would be the place nor my business to talk about other people's business. Like everyone, everybody has problems from time to time or all the time... some people are better had hiding theirs. Not my business unless you make it my business....

Latest posts