“It’s just a job” generation

Help Support CattleToday:

Last edited:
I've noticed that most of our female employees like us to know about their kids and family life while the male employees could care less. We've got one employee that I would say is dedicated the rest of them just come to a job. It's gotten so bad I don't bother to find out what their name is for a few weeks. I know that sounds terrible but I've just become numb to them quitting at the drop of a hat.

@Lucky Curious, what's your business entail? It's tough being a business owner. As an employee I was always careful to never openly discuss family unless it was brought up....and more importantly I never "set up shop" (what i call place photos of my family on my work desk and litter my area with personal belongings). Even though I was never let-go....i always thought about how-long it would take me to unpack my desk with personal belongings and how silly it would be taking down my personals. I lived out of a mobile computer back pack. I worked in some very small outfits where the rumors and laughter would start on Thursday about who they would "let go" on Friday. Every week they were firing people.

Who me? (always put "who" in front of it)...adds more juice to the laugh. Chevy you seems like a trip...and a really fun person to be around. What would your husband say about you...what would be his words on 24/7 Chevy, don't lie.

I asked him....I can't type his answer.... inappropriate.... hahaha *smiles.

@Lucky Curious, what's your business entail? It's tough being a business owner. As an employee I was always careful to never openly discuss family unless it was brought up....and more importantly I never "set up shop" (what i call place photos of my family on my work desk and litter my area with personal belongings). Even though I was never let-go....i always thought about how-long it would take me to unpack my desk with personal belongings and how silly it would be taking down my personals. I lived out of a mobile computer back pack. I worked in some very small outfits where the rumors and laughter would start on Thursday about who they would "let go" on Friday. Every week they were firing people.
We have a gas station / Cafe and employee 8-10 full time employees. My wife runs it and I have a job in town and run the Cattle. I feel the same way you do about leaving a job. I was a shift maintenance supervisor for 10 yrs at my last job. Worked at a good size plant that had 7 different production lines. I felt like I did a good job and took care of things at the plant and always did what was required of me. When I left I had allot of equipment info on a laptop, it was just notes and programming info that had stumped us in the past but was really helpful in bad times or if I got a call at home. I tried to give all my notes and speciality tools to the boss when I left and he told me to just delete the laptop and be sure to throw anything else in the trash. I didn't feel like I left on bad terms but that just gave me a feeling of " what was it all for". They did ask me to come back several times over the next few years but we couldn't come to an agreement and I'd thrown everything out so would've been starting over.

As far as our employees go we do care about them and treat them with respect. It's just too hard being a boss and a best friend. We have 2 girls that are great and understand the personal and business relationship side of things. We had a really really good newer employee quit last week for a better job. I thanked her and told her if things don't work out just come back in at her regular shift time. Having employees is definitely the hardest part of being in business.

To all who have been on the other side, If your good employees are anything like you they will eventually want to
push their own wheelbarrow and thus leave to manage on their own. In the final analysis their success will be your
greatest reward.

Everyone works for someone else even if your self employed.

Maybe so. Self employed. You set you own schedule, most work hard for them self, learn more skills, work more hours, ect. Most other people don't understand self employed as a job want come around and waste their day trying to slow people down. Knows if it was a normal job they couldn't show up and dick off day with them at. Work.

Edit I mean goof off. My phone knows I talk so bad it automatically writes it.

Maybe so. Self employed. You set you own schedule, most work hard for them self, learn more skills, work more hours, ect. Most other people don't understand self employed as a job want come around and waste their day trying to slow people down. Knows if it was a normal job they couldn't show up and dick off day with them at. Work.
Even when you're self employed, you usually don't get to set your own schedule or at least I didn't, always had to work around a customer's schedule.

Even when you're self employed, you usually don't get to set your own schedule or at least I didn't, always had to work around a customer's schedule.

What kind of self employed were you? You need tell people who's boss. *smiles

Have you considered a ghost writer? other than me of course....

Do you write? What's wrong with you? What would I write about? These are the many failures of my life.... learn from it and laugh. Haha.

Do you write? What's wrong with you? What would I write about? These are the many failures of my life.... learn from it and laugh. Haha.
Would that I could , write. What's wrong? That is still under diagnosis. Of all your talents , Your thesis on the continuity of thought, is the one
that would intrigue me most. Never thought of you as a failure, just a happening on the road to adventure.

Would that I could , write. What's wrong? That is still under diagnosis. Of all your talents , Your thesis on the continuity of thought, is the one
that would intrigue me most. Never thought of you as a failure, just a happening on the road to adventure.

Oh my. Road to now where. Ha.

Latest posts