“It’s just a job” generation

Help Support CattleToday:

If your employees are only employee #s . Then you can't expect to see their employer as more then a $
Do you know anything about them hobbies, family ect?
If you want to get employees to buy in to the company you need to buy to buy into them.
Tons of research points out the fact that they rarely leave jobs because of the job it is usually the boss or management

If your employees are only employee #s . Then you can't expect to see their employer as more then a $
Do you know anything about them hobbies, family ect?
If you want to get employees to buy in to the company you need to buy to buy into them.
Tons of research points out the fact that they rarely leave jobs because of the job it is usually the boss or management
Many years ago, I started a new job and on the first day the president of the company came by to introduce himself and meet me, from that day forward when he saw me, he greeted me by name. He did this with everyone from the janitor on up. It hasn't been the same company since he retired.

Some thing else I think the workforce is experiencing is society has put such a focus on education that they forgot how important experience is. The reality is a lot of the younger people coming out of college or just entering the work force have not experienced any thing. That plays a big role in maturity and alot of other things.

A 25 year old may be the maturity equivalent of a 16 year old 20 years ago.
That's the thing. I graduated high school in 93, and at that point everything was geared towards college. College was portrayed and promoted as the only way. I did not go, and literally went through a few years of stress, ulcer, because everybody was saying you have to go you'll never be anything if you don't. I wasn't cut out for that environment, I hated every minute of school period, but did try to make the best of it and do what was expected of me while I was there.
In the years following high school, I saw several, that either didn't finish, or that could not find work in the fields they majored in. They took jobs that they could have without college.
In my opinion education is very important, but in a lot of situations, learning a trade is a better option.

Last edited:
... and when you start thinking the whole workforce is bad guess what... you get a bad workforce. Its a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I was helping a guy I met a couple years ago through friends do some odds and ends with his business. It wasn't very good pay but he seemed like a nice and easy going so I went for it. He said he was having a hard time keeping people and gave me 20 reasons why they all didn't work out. Finally he called me in a panic one day and said I need you to do x y z and get me out of a bind. Had another guy quit, etc, blah blah blah. I tried asking him how exactly he wanted me to do it, any dos or donts, etc. He actually cut me off and said he had another call but to get after it and he knew I would do it right... just take care of it... blah blah blah... so I did. For the next week he called me almost daily with what I wasnt doing right until finally it came to a head and I couldnt just yes sir him any more.

One of the last things I told him after he kept comparing me to all the people that left him was... if you treat every one like pos criminals all you will have working for you is pos criminals. He backed off enough for me to finish up what I promised and I cut ties. It was a good reminder there are always two sides to every "problem".

That's the thing. I graduated high school in 93, and at that point everything was geared towards college. College was portrayed and promoted as the only way. I did not go, and literally went through a few years of stress, ulcer, because everybody was saying you have to go you'll never be anything if you don't. I wasn't cut out for that environment, I hated every minute of school period, but did try to make the best of it and do what was expected of me while I was there.
In the years following high school, I saw several, that either didn't finish, or that could not find work in the fields they majored in. They took jobs that they could have without college.
In my opinion education is very important, but in a lot of situations, learning a trade is a better option.
That "college is everything" mentality has given us a lot of useless white collar "workers". Can't do anything but Power Point, excel and go to meetings.

Just had a 21-year-old kid quit this morning. He was in his second year of apprenticeship and I believe is making $17 an hour
25-year-old company minimum pay $15.50 an hour minimum for entry level including full benefits, one month off paid each year, paid holidays, two weeks vacation, Blue Cross Blue shield, 10% of your salary as a bonus plus Christmas and Thanksgiving gifts paid for all education all safety training all certifications.
Said he wanted to take a job selling real estate because it was easier than commercial air conditioning.

You know what I made at 21 years old working my tail off? Most kids today are entitled little brats with the, give me, it's mine, what can I get for free sitting on my big butt attitudes while looking at social media..... media is the problem in today's society and the hand outs. Cut all the free hand outs, free college help, loans, free or help with houses, free food, help with vehicle for single mama's, vehicle maintenance, help with clothes, help with bills, help with this that and the other.... all the free hand outs makes everybody wants to Pops kids out left and right to drop off at grandparents, baby daddy's, ect. To go have some more for more free stuff. Get more on taxes un married being a "single baby mama struggling " they don't count child support or all the money grandparents having to cough up to raise them babies. People need grow up, set up, raise their own children, pay for their own stuff, and stop wanting hand outs. That's the problem. It's called responsibilities and being an adult.

You know what I made at 21 years old working my tail off? Most kids today are entitled little brats with the, give me, it's mine, what can I get for free sitting on my big butt attitudes while looking at social media..... media is the problem in today's society and the hand outs. Cut all the free hand outs, free college help, loans, free or help with houses, free food, help with vehicle for single mama's, vehicle maintenance, help with clothes, help with bills, help with this that and the other.... all the free hand outs makes everybody wants to Pops kids out left and right to drop off at grandparents, baby daddy's, ect. To go have some more for more free stuff. Get more on taxes un married being a "single baby mama struggling " they don't count child support or all the money grandparents having to cough up to raise them babies. People need grow up, set up, raise their own children, pay for their own stuff, and stop wanting hand outs. That's the problem. It's called responsibilities and being an adult.
Go girl. Great post

Go girl. Great post

It's the things a hate post nerve.
What I really like is the people that have you feeling sorry for them. You help them with something like food, clothes for their child, gas money, ect. Next day they are getting their hair, nails done, and cutting loose in the club.

You hit the nail on the head. Couldn't have said it better.

Everyone complains about it while driving their kids to school everyday,,buys them the latest $80 instyle jeans . Makes sure they always have the latest iPhone.Buys them a new vehicle at 16 buys all the gas,insurance and all the latest accessories so it is cool enough. Let's them live at home with their kids and baby momma/baby daddy . Supports them all never expects them to help out ,cleanup after themselves. Then can't figure out why EVERYONE ELSE KIDS are lazy (not my kid)

Everyone complains about it while driving their kids to school everyday,,buys them the latest $80 instyle jeans . Makes sure they always have the latest iPhone.Buys them a new vehicle at 16 buys all the gas,insurance and all the latest accessories so it is cool enough. Let's them live at home with their kids and baby momma/baby daddy . Supports them all never expects them to help out ,cleanup after themselves. Then can't figure out why EVERYONE ELSE KIDS are lazy (not my kid)

Yep your not a kidding!!!

I'm a bad step mom... let me tell you I screw up. I never been in a kind of situation before.... I did all I thought I should have been doing for my step children. I'd cook homemade meals 3 times a day, a cleaned up everything after them, I drove them all over pick them up drop them off, help pay for their designer shoes, clothes, help buy their vehicles, we took them everywhere to see everything, bought them all kind of stuff and things, 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, rollerblade, ect spent time with them hiking, camping, dirt bike riding, 4 wheeler riding, took them to the motorcross track, going to the lake, ect on and on and on. Again remind you I'm the bad step mom. When they got older bought them cell phones helped pay cell phone bills, on and on.... their mom got bad we wouldn't let their girlfriends spend the night when they were 15. Excuse me be mad.... no little girl has any business stay the night with a 15 year old boy. Our house our rules. Rude in my opinion to even insist on sending you sons over to their dad and beg for their girlfriends to spend the night. I had many disagreements with that strumpet never said much kept my mouth shut until the boys turned 18 than let her have it.... people like her make anybody bitter and cold hearted. Then little boys were disrespectful more than one time telling my husband and myself how we were horrible parents cause we would buy them this or that or wouldn't let their girlfriends stay the night or this or that. Basically cause we had rules. We have them pick up their dish put them in the dishwasher after eating, just little stuff. They thought was horrible. Yet we did buy them stuff for helping around the house. I've been told more than one time I was a bad step mom, so be it. I'll take being a bad step mom....
Now let me tell you about their strumpet mother and step dad... belief cause ain't nobody got time for all that. They are alcoholics.... they use to find marijuana in the teens bedroom. They call cuss my husband than smoke the crap with them. The next time they found it they would call the cops or take them up to the police department for drug test. I just don't agree with that kind of parenting. I've never been a parent.... I don't really know how to raise children but doing the crap with them than taking them to the cops doesn't seem right. They all so get so drunk before the teens had license have them drive them home. I could continue but it not even worth the waste of time. I believe I've waste enough time on how I'm the bad step mom.

Society has said kids are too young to work. It's not safe. It's not fair.
My standard answer when some one tells me that's not fair is "your right . Life's not fair get used to it."
The sooner they learn life isn't fair the better off they will be.
When my kids where teens I got tired of them asking if they could do this or that when they already knew the answer.
So my standard response was you can do what ever you want. Every choice comes with consequences. You make the choice you pick the consequences.

I have 5 step kids. If you're not selfish it's not too bad assuming you and your spouse have the same goals

I'm a bad step mom now.... they are grown with bad attitude and I'm tried... I can't change how anybody feels or thinks about me, if I'm bad , I'm bad so be it. I don't have time for that. Maybe one day they will grow up... I was once was a bad teenager thought I knew it all too, now I'm an adult that knows nothing.

Society has said kids are too young to work. It's not safe. It's not fair. They need to focus on their grades. Blah Blah Blah. Some of my most fond memories are from work shenanigans as a teenager. We got our work done but there was no shortage of nonsense when given the chance.

I know right. I worked at a resort when I was 14... I'm 100% sure I was a horrible worker, but I had fun. Haha. Than again the owners still speak to me so maybe I wasn't all that bad. The owners left me in charge one winter for week which included New Years Eve. No customer coming in I just had to feed their dogs could stay in one the cottage if I choose. I think back they must have really trust me. I could have had one heck of a party. Ha

That would be incorrect. I'm ticked at my step kid too, although she's at least working full time and supporting herself. She was willing to do the manual labor at FedEx last summer. Some of her other choices are on the "me first" side that sticks in my craw.

I'm a bad step mom now.... they are grown with bad attitude and I'm tried... I can't change how anybody feels or thinks about me, if I'm bad , I'm bad so be it. I don't have time for that. Maybe one day they will grow up... I was once was a bad teenager thought I knew it all too, now I'm an adult that knows nothing.

I know right. I worked at a resort when I was 14... I'm 100% sure I was a horrible worker, but I had fun. Haha. Than again the owners still speak to me so maybe I wasn't all that bad. The owners left me in charge one winter for week which included New Years Eve. No customer coming in I just had to feed their dogs could stay in one the cottage if I choose. I think back they must have really trust me. I could have had one heck of a party. Ha
I started taking care of a property at 15. Drove with no license for 8 months until I turned 16. We had a lot of good times out there. 😄

... and when you start thinking the whole workforce is bad guess what... you get a bad workforce. Its a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I was helping a guy I met a couple years ago through friends do some odds and ends with his business. It wasn't very good pay but he seemed like a nice and easy going so I went for it. He said he was having a hard time keeping people and gave me 20 reasons why they all didn't work out. Finally he called me in a panic one day and said I need you to do x y z and get me out of a bind. Had another guy quit, etc, blah blah blah. I tried asking him how exactly he wanted me to do it, any dos or donts, etc. He actually cut me off and said he had another call but to get after it and he knew I would do it right... just take care of it... blah blah blah... so I did. For the next week he called me almost daily with what I wasnt doing right until finally it came to a head and I couldnt just yes sir him any more.

One of the last things I told him after he kept comparing me to all the people that left him was... if you treat every one like pos criminals all you will have working for you is pos criminals. He backed off enough for me to finish up what I promised and I cut ties. It was a good reminder there are always two sides to every "problem".
That pretty much sums it up. People didn't suddenly get more entitled. The balance has just shifted to where the entitled employees now have more leverage than the entitled employers. It just happened to be the other way for so long that some people have internalized it as the way things "should be".

Lots of kids go to college now. Because their parents expect them to. Because their friends are going. Because "that's what you do". Some don't have a clue about a field of study. They just go and take some courses. Maybe based on recommendations from an advisor at the school or doing what their friend is doing.

Who should go to college? Those who have a plan and a desire to pursue an occupation that requires a degree in a particular field of study. That plan generally involves some investigation beforehand. Maybe a summer job in that field. Maybe shadowing a person in that field or some volunteer work. Or some detailed knowledge of the field based on a friend or relative. And hopefully some realistic expectations of job availability and pay. If someone has not figured that out, it would probably be better to enter the work force, gain some experience, and try to sort that out. There are many good paying jobs with plenty of job security and a pathway to grow in that field. Available with 2 years of study at a tech school or an apprentice program with an employer. Plumbing, HVAC, welding, electrical, auto repair and many other possibilities. There is college and there is education. They are not the same. You can go to college, maybe even get a degree, and still not get an education. You can also get an education without going to college. Get a good education. College is just one way to do that.
Don't be one of those people to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get a degree in a field with no future. Schools do offer those fields of study. If you don't know, then don't go. Don't commit until you are committed to a plan.

Latest posts