Young Replacement Bull Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter":162xxoy7 said:
ALACOWMAN":162xxoy7 said:
if i can get quailty bull's reasonable for my commercial herd, thats all the solution i care about.. edit, and i aint talking stockyard bought

Bought quite a few of em for $1500 as well
it didnt make you a bad person either did it :cowboy:

houstoncutter":2j6pl5gh said:
Dont worry Massey, my daughter came back from Austin a liberal, but as great man once said. " If your not a liberal at 20 you have no heart, if your still a liberal at 30 you have no brain." Sir Winston Churchhill :tiphat:
:clap: ;-)

Massey135":3ci3bcd2 said:
TexasBred":3ci3bcd2 said:
Massey135":3ci3bcd2 said:
Yall talking fiscally or socially? I'd consider myself both - a fiscal conservative and a social liberal.
In other words you'll date another man as long as he pays for EVERYTHING?? :mrgreen:

No, it means I don't care if YOU do as long as YOU don't ask me to pay for it.
That's what I said..you just rearranged the words.

Getting back to the thread, I think I would have to spend about 2750 to 3000 for the same types of bulls I used to purchase

A good example/story about bull purchasing. Last year I was at a bull sale. I was watching the sale with no real intent of buying a bull. They were bringing in 4 or 5 half brothers and selling choice out of the pen. So they brought in 5 Image Maker sons. I pick what I thought was the best bull in the pen. He was the youngest by several months and thus the smallest. But a real well put together bull. The high bidder took the oldest biggest bull first for around $4,000. They open up the bidding and the next highest bidder took the next biggest bull for a couple hundred less. And then they do it once more. In the mean time I calculate out weight for day of age and figure out that the young bull I like has actually gained 0.2 pounds per day of age more than the high selling bull. So on the fourth round I raised my hand one time and bought the young bull for $2,000. My bull was a day short of a year old. The high selling bull was 15 1/2 months old. Bigger, heavier, slicker will almost always bring more money but it is not nessicarily the better bull.
I talked to the people who bought that top bull a month or two ago. They got rid of that bull after breeding this spring because he got too hard to handle. I had noticed that he was a bit nervous in the ring that day. My bull was real laid back and easy going and still is today.

Ha! More PhD's per capita in this county then anywhere in the nation. We're supposedly "enlightened".... I try to keep to the farm as much as possible. :cowboy:[/quote]

The most PHD's per capita in the USA is Los Alamos County, New Mexico.

houstoncutter":syaybhj8 said:
Dont worry Massey, my daughter came back from Austin a liberal, but as great man once said. " If your not a liberal at 20 you have no heart, if your still a liberal at 30 you have no brain." Sir Winston Churchhill :tiphat:

Last gal I dated told me I was insensitive, guess this just confirmed it.

cmay":1vk9ft9j said:
Ha! More PhD's per capita in this county then anywhere in the nation. We're supposedly "enlightened".... I try to keep to the farm as much as possible. :cowboy:

The most PHD's per capita in the USA is Los Alamos County, New Mexico.[/quote]

I think it is semantics. I think the stat is Huntsville has the most engineers and PHD per Capita for a metropolitan area. Nothing metropolitan about Los Alamos but New Mexico is a beautiful place.

"In 2005, Forbes Magazine named the Huntsville-Decatur Combined Statistical Area as 6th best place in the nation for doing business, and number one in terms of the number of engineers per total employment. In 2006, Huntsville dropped to 14th; the prevalence of engineers was not considered in the 2006 ranking."

Also if I am not mistaken the only County in North Alabama that votes Democrat nationally which I think was one of the previous posters problem with the area.

u4411clb":1f0d82zi said:
cmay":1f0d82zi said:
Ha! More PhD's per capita in this county then anywhere in the nation. We're supposedly "enlightened".... I try to keep to the farm as much as possible. :cowboy:

I think it is semantics. I think the stat is Huntsville has the most engineers and PHD per Capita for a metropolitan area. Nothing metropolitan about Los Alamos but New Mexico is a beautiful place.

"In 2005, Forbes Magazine named the Huntsville-Decatur Combined Statistical Area as 6th best place in the nation for doing business, and number one in terms of the number of engineers per total employment. In 2006, Huntsville dropped to 14th; the prevalence of engineers was not considered in the 2006 ranking."

Also if I am not mistaken the only County in North Alabama that votes Democrat nationally which I think was one of the previous posters problem with the area.[/quote]

Have you ever been to Central Texas aka Austin........you might fit well cept the Democarat part which you just might be confused about... got any cows?

cmay":1bgmlvy2 said:

That makes sense i guess. They probably don't want (or need) people like me and my meager education to be over there trying to build atom bombs..

I have to ask what PHD'[s have to do with the price of young bulls.

I guess I would challenge all those who seem to think that an above avg bull should sell for $1500 to go into the bull business and come back 5 years from now and tell me how that's working out for you! Especially if corn and hay stay as high as they are and the national cowherd keeps contracting!

3waycross":3235qb0u said:

I guess I would challenge all those who seem to think that an above avg bull should sell for $1500 to go into the bull business and come back 5 years from now and tell me how that's working out for you! Especially if corn and hay stay as high as they are and the national cowherd keeps contracting!
The ability to Pile it Higher and Deeper may be relevant to selling substandard bulls as cream of the crop bulls

dun":3fj6boh7 said:
3waycross":3fj6boh7 said:

The ability to Pile it Higher and Deeper may be relevant to selling substandard bulls as cream of the crop bulls

Well i won't argue that point!

3waycross":2ulfs390 said:

I agree with you here! It is cheaper to cut them and sell them as steers than to feed them an extra 6 months to a year and try to turn a profit. I guess if you just have cows out on a pasture, don't vaccinate, don't fertilize or treat your land well... you could make out with some money, but who would want to buy your bulls?
The only time we have sold a $1500 bull was right off the cow without any guarantees of breeding soundness.

Kingfisher":1pgr2pxo said:
u4411clb":1pgr2pxo said:
cmay":1pgr2pxo said:

Also if I am not mistaken the only County in North Alabama that votes Democrat nationally which I think was one of the previous posters problem with the area.

Have you ever been to Central Texas aka Austin........you might fit well cept the Democarat part which you just might be confused about... got any cows?[/quote]

Yes I travel to Dallas allot and yes I have cows and yes I am a Democrat. Didn't mean to get off topic was just joking with another poster and it took a life of its own. But back to the topic I just bought a Hereford bull to replace one of my previous Hereford bulls that I was not that happy with. Last year was my first venture in years to a Spring calving herd and also with Hereford bulls. I paid $1500 for this bull and he is registered and I haven't got the paperwork back yet so I can't quote his lineage but he is out of some big time bull from Montana that is what the guy told me I bought it from that I trust. This blood is suppose to be different from the Remintall? blood that my current Hereford bulls are out of and should be thicker and meatier but not as tall and long. Please forgive the pics he is new to me and my field and would not stay still and pose for nothing. He is not wild what so ever just not photogenic and I am not good with patience lately.

0915120853a_0001.jpg

Latest posts