Young Replacement Bull Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

just for the record, if there is one :cowboy: i dont expect to be able to buy $1500.00 bulls in the future, and did'nt last year. a predistend/woodhill foresight bull,, thats giving me some dandy calves

Dave":v7nftrfa said:
It is certainly not always the case but I have seen bulls that the asking price is over $4,000 that I wouldn't put in with my cows. There is not a direct correlation between price and quality. I do realize that there is time money and effort put into raising quality bulls. However there are quality commercail bulls available for a reasonable price if a person hunts them out.

The people I have been buying most of my bulls from for the last 15 years raise reasonably priced commercial bulls. They have about 400 cows. They have been retaining ownership through the foodlot for 40+ years so you know the cattle have been working for them. They end up keeping 24 bulls evey year. About half are AI bred. Some are composits. None have papers but they keep real good records going back for years. They can tell you the weaning weight on every calf that the cows grandmother had. Their selling price..... by the pound a nickle over fat cattle price. They make more than they do on the steers that go to the feedlot because they have less into them and they sell out every year. As to the quality. I have had a number of years when my saleyard sweetie cows have weaned an average of 700 pound steers. That is February calves weaned in late September. I could buy a high priced bull and get the same results.
:nod: that's how I find good quality commerical bulls for my herd and the calves always ring the bell at the salebarn. Been a top seller at the salebarn for 4 years in a row. The bulls were around $1,500 to 2,000 depends how quality the bull is.

On other hand I've seen ridiculously overpriced bulls that is worthless in the breeding. But an overpriced mongrel bull makes me shuddering :shock:

Lots of good reply's. I do believe you get what you pay for but you had better check out what you're getting thoroughly. I want to buy a good bull at a fair price. We have a few local small time jokers that try and gouge the shyt out of you and they just don't have the cattle to back up the asking price.

3waycross":8prlkodl said:
KHereford":8prlkodl said:
What kills me is when a buyer comes by and tells us how he just sold his old herd bull that was 2250lbs and brought $1 a pound but $2500 for a young bull that I hope is going to improve his herd is too much. A few years ago we still had guys asking for the $1000 bull,ha-ha, we sold steers off the cow last year for $940, why would we carry a bull through the winter, feed him, take all the measurements and lose money on him, they usually give us a real dumb look and start back tracking there statements.

Well there's the real crux of the story. If a bull is worth close to 1000 at weaning and you feed him all winter etc, and all you do is break even then what's the point.
I don't think mine are world beaters but if you buy a yearling from me for 1500 then you sure didn't go home with the top end of my bull crop!(and probably not the middle either)

If I were going to pay more than that I'd go to the source (oswald) himself.

Massey,
You may want to get there before weaning as a lot of the Oswald bull calves are bought by commercial cowmwn before weaning for more than what 3way is talking about.

Post by u4411clb » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:40 pm

P.S. Alacowman, You know why conservatives are like slinky toys because they both make you smile when pushed down a flight of stairs.[/quote]

Hmmmmm.... A liberal cattleman from Alabama, a rare animal indeed.

TennesseeTuxedo":28b37cnc said:

P.S. Alacowman, You know why conservatives are like slinky toys because they both make you smile when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Hmmmmm.... A liberal cattleman from Alabama, a rare animal indeed.[/quote] well they are from Huntsville, so it don't suprize me... :cowboy: anyway, you push a conservative he's taking you down with him :lol:

TennesseeTuxedo":um9e4a48 said:

P.S. Alacowman, You know why conservatives are like slinky toys because they both make you smile when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Ha! More PhD's per capita in this county then anywhere in the nation. We're supposedly "enlightened".... I try to keep to the farm as much as possible. :cowboy:

Julian":11ln9mnt said:
Massey,
You may want to get there before weaning as a lot of the Oswald bull calves are bought by commercial cowmwn before weaning for more than what 3way is talking about.

Yup, people pay for that OZZ prefix.

Yall talking fiscally or socially? I'd consider myself both - a fiscal conservative and a social liberal.

SSGenetics":w3zirpf0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":w3zirpf0 said:

Ha! More PhD's per capita in this county then anywhere in the nation. We're supposedly "enlightened".... I try to keep to the farm as much as possible. :cowboy:
and more engineers, im too red to work in that town anymore.. id kill somebody :cowboy:

Massey135":1b1arcr2 said:
Yall talking fiscally or socially? I'd consider myself both - a fiscal conservative and a social liberal.
In other words you'll date another man as long as he pays for EVERYTHING?? :mrgreen:

TexasBred":2imlozep said:
Massey135":2imlozep said:
In other words you'll date another man as long as he pays for EVERYTHING?? :mrgreen:
:cowboy: sounds like he was born right on the Austin town limits

TexasBred":1fk95bij said:
Massey135":1fk95bij said:

No, it means I don't care if YOU do as long as YOU don't ask me to pay for it.

TexasBred":38dv1x6o said:
Massey135":38dv1x6o said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":1o7k6oh6 said:
Massey135":1o7k6oh6 said:

We now have Massey being a cheap skate while out on his dates with the boys....... this thread has officially been hi-jacked

And Massey, loosen up with the cash. How do you expect to get any action if you don't spring for a little dinner and drinks once in a while?

Dont worry Massey, my daughter came back from Austin a liberal, but as great man once said. " If your not a liberal at 20 you have no heart, if your still a liberal at 30 you have no brain." Sir Winston Churchhill :tiphat:

ALACOWMAN":jxsngfst said:
if i can get quailty bull's reasonable for my commercial herd, thats all the solution i care about.. edit, and i aint talking stockyard bought

Bought quite a few of em for $1500 as well

Buying $1500 bulls wasn't hard three or four years ago. Buying one now is more than tough! Last year I bought a PB Simmi yearling for $2500. Just paid $3000 a few weeks ago. I do believe he is a better bull, but will need to see calves on the ground first.

Latest posts