Young bull behaviour

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Brought up my 15 month old bull in waiting to supplement and put condition on for this summers breeding season as he is only about 1000 lbs after this winter. He has been running with the big girls and main service bull since October so I am sure he has been shown where he stands in the pecking order. None-the-less he will just stand there and let me pet him and even pick up one of his feet (I only tried a front one). I'm not sure yet if this is a calm attitude or a lack of respect (i.e. not backing away from me). The first time I saw him as a calf he was about 2 days old and sleeping by a brush pile. Mom was on the other side of the pile. I was walking over to check his sex when he suddenly hopped up and charged me from about 10ft away with a loud scream for Mom. I hopped over him and he ran into a fence about 10 ft behind me which knocked him to the ground. As he staggered to his feet Mom arrived to check him out and took him away. That was the first time I had ever been charged by such a young calf and I wondered if that was an indication of a future attitude.

BTW - He is a Red Angus AI calf out of Logan and one of my Chief Line cows.

That's a good way to get hurt or killed, bulls are not pets to be petted, IMO. I checked a 700 lb. heifer's foot last year because she had stepped on something. I checked it after I had her contained in the squeeze chute with a rope tied around her ankle and over the top of the squeeze chute to be used like a pulley and lift her foot slowly. It worked great and she stayed calm as I did slowly as to try not to excite her.

tncattle":27wvupvu said:
That's a good way to get hurt or killed, bulls are not pets to be petted, IMO. I checked a 700 lb. heifer's foot last year because she had stepped on something. I checked it after I had her contained in the squeeze chute with a rope tied around her ankle and over the top of the squeeze chute to be used like a pulley and lift her foot slowly. It worked great and she stayed calm as I did slowly as to try not to excite her.

We pet and scratch on our bulls all the time. I rubbed on one yesterday as I was putting his halter on to lead him to another pasture. The fact the he is a Red Poll may have something to do with it though. :D

dcara":a8fo4vn6 said:
I was walking over to check his sex when he suddenly hopped up and charged me from about 10ft away with a loud scream for Mom. I hopped over him and he ran into a fence about 10 ft behind me which knocked him to the ground. As he staggered to his feet Mom arrived to check him out and took him away. That was the first time I had ever been charged by such a young calf and I wondered if that was an indication of a future attitude.

He was probably sound asleep when you approached him, got a fright and took flight - it just happened to be in your direction :p . If he has a lack of respect for you, you will know it, it sounds more calm than anything else to me. Does he show any signs of aggression?

tncattle":3coibo1l said:

I'm with you tn. If you want to really tick me off, reach over and scratch one of my cows, calves or bulls. Such action just might get one of my grandchildren killed when the animal no longer has fear.

tncattle":4yuk6f19 said:

I actually agree. I don't normally do it and in this case I was within rolling distance to the cable fence line to go through should things go down hill. As far as cows go, there are a few older ones that I'm comfortable with, others I keep my distance. One I walked upto in the middle of the pasture last year and pulled a stick from between her front toes because she would not stand on it.

[/quote]
He was probably sound asleep when you approached him, got a fright and took flight - it just happened to be in your direction :p . If he has a lack of respect for you, you will know it, it sounds more calm than anything else to me. Does he show any signs of aggression?[/quote]

I was kind of thinking that also. I haven't seen any signs of aggression. If I ever see any he will move on down the road

never had many new borns that wanted me to touch em,, are tag em are casterate , vaccinate dehorn, the list goes on.. the only time i touch my bull's is to worm or doctor

dcara":wwyp2pzd said:
Brought up my 15 month old bull in waiting to supplement and put condition on for this summers breeding season as he is only about 1000 lbs after this winter. He has been running with the big girls and main service bull since October so I am sure he has been shown where he stands in the pecking order. None-the-less he will just stand there and let me pet him and even pick up one of his feet (I only tried a front one). I'm not sure yet if this is a calm attitude or a lack of respect (i.e. not backing away from me). The first time I saw him as a calf he was about 2 days old and sleeping by a brush pile. Mom was on the other side of the pile. I was walking over to check his sex when he suddenly hopped up and charged me from about 10ft away with a loud scream for Mom. I hopped over him and he ran into a fence about 10 ft behind me which knocked him to the ground. As he staggered to his feet Mom arrived to check him out and took him away. That was the first time I had ever been charged by such a young calf and I wondered if that was an indication of a future attitude.

I've had a few one or two day old calves give me a real good butt on the leg. Usually when I have them up trying to resolve a problem. I think it's an instinctive self-defense mechanism they're born with rather than a sign of their future nature.

Latest posts