You Canadians ...

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":307ooejj said:
you can take my word for John, i have cut a lot of white oak and sold to the stave mills around here. Have you ever seen one of the old barrel saws they cut the staves with? Looks like a peice of pipe with saw teeth on it.

The cutting part wasen't all that bad.But the splitting and loading was a for sure back braker.

Cal

My Uncle used to make barrels (Cooper) he had a five year apprenticeship, and at the end when they qualified the tradition was to put them in a barrel, with mock tar and real feathers and roll them down the street. My Gran used to have a photo of him standing in the barrel covered in feathers, and drinking a pint of beer, the liquid what would be filling the barells. Along with many others depending on the size of the barrel. Wine is usually kept in French Oak as it allows for a small amount of evaperation in the maturing process. and Whiskey in American White Oak. this allows for a bit more evaperation, which is known as the 'Angels share'. English Oak was to expensive to use for barrel making and was used mainly for funiture. Sorry I could go on for ages about wood, not usually a Woman thing but I was bought up around Carpenters and Coopers.
I can remember vinegar being kept in barrels, and buying it by the bottle at the grocers store.

Keren":17wq1m9v said:
are a bad influence on me!

I've discovered Canadian Club (whisky) and man oh man, its good stuff!

A topic I can truly enjoy... ;-) While CC is good-- if you want something even smoother try Crown Royal or Pendleton... A brand real popular with local cowboys lately is Forty Creek...A good smooth cheaper Canadian blend is R & R (Rich & Rare)...Most the bar "well whiskey" in our area is Black Velvet- which will definitely do in a pinch to warm you up on a 20 below day...

bward- The Canadian whiskey we drink here is the same thing as in Canada - comes from the same distilleries in Canada- and in some of the northern locations some brands are referred to as "Rye" (must have been the coke in your drink ;-) )...Canadian distilleries whiskies caught their popularity during prohibition days- and around here is mostly all that is drank with very little demand for either American bourbon or rye....
Best import we ever got from the Canucks.... ;-)

Latest posts