Yaks anyone ???????????

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I was reading my local Ab govt livestock advertising board and came across this ad for Yaks. It caught my eye as you don't see them to often around here. I wish they had a link to some pics of the herd . ;-)

Breed: Yak Quantity: 90 head Price: $95,000.00 Cdn
Yak herd for sale. Mixture of royal, trim and black yaks. Includes 35 cows with at least 30 bred cows, 28 heifers, 32 bulls. Cows can produce calves for 20 years. Yaks eat about 1/3 the amount of a regular bovine. Easy to herd and non threatening, pretty to look at. Do very well in cold climate. No assistance needed during calving. Yaks produce very low cholesterol, lowfat meat with a very mild flavour. This herd has had no hormones or anitbiotics and is fed hay grown on our farm.

It has a BC area code for the phone number.

hillsdown":2gq0yuce said:
I was reading my local Ab govt livestock advertising board and came across this ad for Yaks. It caught my eye as you don't see them to often around here. I wish they had a link to some pics of the herd . ;-)

Breed: Yak Quantity: 90 head Price: $95,000.00 Cdn
Yak herd for sale. Mixture of royal, trim and black yaks. Includes 35 cows with at least 30 bred cows, 28 heifers, 32 bulls. Cows can produce calves for 20 years. Yaks eat about 1/3 the amount of a regular bovine. Easy to herd and non threatening, pretty to look at. Do very well in cold climate. No assistance needed during calving. Yaks produce very low cholesterol, lowfat meat with a very mild flavour. This herd has had no hormones or anitbiotics and is fed hay grown on our farm.

It has a BC area code for the phone number.

Sounds like a deal but really HD I was looking for some Musk Ox. ;-)

I think the asking price is a little unrealistic but than again what do I know I raise beef cattle.. :lol2:

What no takers Pm me and I will give you the number ,, if I make a sale I am going to ask for a commission on them.. :p

That's right Van, they are supposed to be pretty to look at so who cares if you make any money on them.. :help:

TB they would sure be a tourist attraction at your place in Texas.. :cowboy:

Saw on tv that there is a market for the undercoat.. They are used for pack animals.. AND they are pretty. what more could you want??

peg4x4":3qg30fm5 said:
Saw on tv that there is a market for the undercoat.. They are used for pack animals.. AND they are pretty. what more could you want??
Exactly my thinking. Who doesn't need an undercoat and a pack animal?

Considering all the crochet I'm doing,I'd love to get some yak yarn. Have made a hat of silk-bamboo yarn,one with llama yarn ,a wool one and one that's a mix of merino wool and acrylic and am now useing an acrylic made from recycled plastic bottles. That makes an afgan that can take use,never fades.
Wish there was a real yarn shop around here.

Well you could sell them as beef and see if anyone notices :p and if they do, you can just offer them a sweater or pack rental :lol:

Ok,did a little checking-yak fluff is very warm and light-runs 39$ to 65$ for a skine,which is enough to make a hat or a scarf. Musk ox is even lighter and warmer,and is much more expensive.. 150 for a hat (already made)
Perhaps this is a new venture..

Latest posts