Wrong Impression

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crowderfarms":1s9w3d3n said:
Back to the subject... Forget the Carpetbagger.

If your going to part with your hard earned money, why not spend it at a place where you know your patronage is truly appreciated?

There's no words more satisfying than a customer thanking you for being there for them. And yep, our phone has rang plenty of times on Sundays and after hours for help.Does not bother me a bit.Service is a dying thing in this world. Independant operators can give a ray of hope that "service" is what their customer will get. I sometimes wonder how the big dawgs like TSC stay in business with Country folks being their customers, and putting up with stuff like Lammie pointed out hiding from the people that keep them employed.

Crowder, It is really good that you don't have a business in my county. I already have a hard time choosing between a business in Granbury, and business in Tolar, and two in Glen Rose. I like them all for different reasons and trade at all four places on occasion. I rationalize it as location at the time of need generally. If you were here too, it would only add to the complexity because I would want to trade at your place as well. If one of the four businesses don't carry what I am looking for, I will go to TSC but it is not my first choice by any means. It just beats Home Depot or places like that.

Auctionboy, You and I are just cut from different cloth plain and simple. I don't see it as an age thing as WeWild described. I have been saying "sir" and respecting elders all my life. When I got into Korean martial arts and had Korean instructors, the "yes sir" and "no sir" were not a problem for me at all. It just came naturally. I would never want to sit down to a cup of coffee with you and that's fine too. You and I are just different.

auctionboy":1afq5p9l said:
Calman":1afq5p9l said:
I will say one thing in your favor auctionboy. You certainly have a lot of room to expand in the learning and experience department.

Cal
That is a very self righteous thing to say. Those are my views, not the same as yours so you act as if they are wrong.

Folks if you look at his name just remember the key word here! "BOY"
Which in most cases refers to being IMMATURE, lacking EXPERENCE and judgement to completly be responsible for his actions.
This is evident by many of the past posts by this pusdeo man.

backhoeboogie":2ac7t4ce said:
Crowderfarms":2ac7t4ce said:

If your going to part with your hard earned money, why not spend it at a place where you know your patronage is truly appreciated?

There's no words more satisfying than a customer thanking you for being there for them. And yep, our phone has rang plenty of times on Sundays and after hours for help.Does not bother me a bit.Service is a dying thing in this world. Independant operators can give a ray of hope that "service" is what their customer will get. I sometimes wonder how the big dawgs like TSC stay in business with Country folks being their customers, and putting up with stuff like Lammie pointed out hiding from the people that keep them employed.

Crowder, It is really good that you don't have a business in my county. I already have a hard time choosing between a business in Granbury, and business in Tolar, and two in Glen Rose. I like them all for different reasons and trade at all four places on occasion. I rationalize it as location at the time of need generally. If you were here too, it would only add to the complexity because I would want to trade at your place as well. If one of the four businesses don't carry what I am looking for, I will go to TSC but it is not my first choice by any means. It just beats Home Depot or places like that.

Auctionboy, You and I are just cut from different cloth plain and simple. I don't see it as an age thing as WeWild described. I have been saying "sir" and respecting elders all my life. When I got into Korean martial arts and had Korean instructors, the "yes sir" and "no sir" were not a problem for me at all. It just came naturally. I would never want to sit down to a cup of coffee with you and that's fine too. You and I are just different.

Boogie the boy is classic alligator mouth and hummingbird butt. He is going to mouth off to the wrong old man someday and get a big surprise. He isn't old enough to know how to read people. Just like here the guy that maintains our water system, little wormy looking guy very polite that is the state champion black belt.
I know one old cattleman that runs and rides a bike for 8 miles a day on top of his farm work. To look at either you wouldn't think much about. I know one thing I wouldn't want either one to be mad at me in a small room with just one door.

Caustic Burno":327ttv9v said:
little wormy looking guy very polite that is the state champion black belt.

Caustic, At this point, all I am is a has been. At the risk of sounding trite, "Been there done that." Most all of it is on video and there are several gold medals hanging on the wall collecting dust. Three old wrinkled magazines with my picture on the cover. The old addage about riding a bicycle comes to mind but I haven't been in the ring since '93 and really don't have any desire to teach anyone a lesson; espeically if they are not even worth it in the first place. This probably should go in the "Surprise Me" thread maybe. But lets just say it wouldn't be fair by any means. Maybe akin to kicking a puppy for no good reason.

CB, You well know respect is respect. Plain and simple. Sir, although I have never met you in person, if I could not respect you, I don't see how I could respect myself. The same goes for most everyone. AB doesn't appear to have any self respect IMHO. At the same time, I pity him for not growing up in our culture.

I have enjoyed this thread because it has made me appreciate who I am. I am the guy who says yes sir and yes ma'am and insists my children do. I am the guy who enjoys holding the door for someone and seeing their thankfullness. I am am the one who would pay a little more to a local guy just to help them out because thats what people should do. These small time guys are not pricing up just because they want to screw you, they are pricing up because they have to. They have such smaller margins and they have to make it up. I know I'm one of em. I have been giving business to a local hardware store because they are struggling because of the new Home Depot. They have been in business for 60+ years and are trying to hold on. YES they are a few nickels more, but you know what, when I need something fixed, they are there to do it. People helping people, too many people have forgot that. Too many people in it for them self instead of the better good.

Sorry for the rambling, but this thread has made me proud of who i am and where I come from and have always known that i wouldn't trade it for anything.

p.s. Auctionboy, you said you don't go in somewhere to get someone to help you that if you need to ask someone you just as soon not need it. Where do you think the information you get out of a book comes from. Some man wrote it and you learned it.

backhoeboogie":2bl9oso6 said:
At the same time, I pity him for not growing up in our culture.
BHB ~ despite the fact that you are one of my favorite people and this thread has gotten way off course, I have to say something. I don't know that this can be blamed on his culture. I was not raised in your culture, yet I would never be so disrespectful to others. We say "yes sir", "no mam", "please" and "thank you". We let people in on the highway, we don;t push tractors on the road, we take our turn at 4 ways or let others take ours if in doubt, we respect age, experience and knowledge.

You can;t fix stupid. I doubt age will bring a change in this boy, maybe running into one of CB's customers will, maybe when he headbutts someone's fist at sufficient velosity to shake something back into place. But I don;t think his culture is to blame. Lots of good people in the north.

Angie you are absolutely right and obviously I have offended you. You are a good person and it is not my intent in my generalizations. I have and still do work with educated professionals from the north. Some of them are the best people I have ever met. At the same time, we are different. Difference can be good. I have learned to assume good will. But there are also cumbersome things like I have to learn that if they can't look me in the eye, it has nothing to do with their lack of integrity. They have to learn that if I look them in the eye it is not out of aggression. I can cite many other things but that is not the point. I grew up in a culture where a handshake on a deal was more valuable than a notorized document. Our culture has been completely watered down.

When I walk into a feed store and shake hands with an old school proprietor, I get a down home feeling. When I open the door for a lady, it has nothing to do with hitting her up.

Perhaps I am judgemental, but when I meet someone for the first time and shake hands with him/her, body language sends me all kinds of signals if the person is from my culture. Their mannerism (e.g. waiting their turn) gives me confirmation. It is simple. Everything else is radical although I have learned to assume good will.

Feed store proprietors are going to make a few nickels off of me in profit. I am okay with that. They have to make a living. The mutual trust between the two of us is more important than a few nickels.

Angie I wish I were better with words. I am sincerely sorry for being offensive but at the same time I don't want to mislead anyone about the way I feel about this culture.

There's a world of difference between a Mid-Western Lady or Gentleman, than an all knowing New Yorker. Same goes for Southerners.

angie":qh95hcso said:
backhoeboogie":qh95hcso said:
At the same time, I pity him for not growing up in our culture.
BHB ~ despite the fact that you are one of my favorite people and this thread has gotten way off course, I have to say something. I don't know that this can be blamed on his culture. I was not raised in your culture, yet I would never be so disrespectful to others. We say "yes sir", "no mam", "please" and "thank you". We let people in on the highway, we don;t push tractors on the road, we take our turn at 4 ways or let others take ours if in doubt, we respect age, experience and knowledge.

You can;t fix stupid. I doubt age will bring a change in this boy, maybe running into one of CB's customers will, maybe when he headbutts someone's fist at sufficient velosity to shake something back into place. But I don;t think his culture is to blame. Lots of good people in the north.

Because the culture in this part of the country is to not say sir that makes me stupid? You are ignorant! It is pathetic how you all have to start threatening me as usual! I hold doors for people, I say thank you, just because you don't say sir doesn't meen you are pushing old ladies down stairs! Angie- I hope you also get punched in the head!

Well, we went from hardware stores to this.......

Anyone of you kind sirs have the keys to lock this thing on the way out??

hopalong":849oshyj said:
auctionboy":849oshyj said:
Calman":849oshyj said:
I will say one thing in your favor auctionboy. You certainly have a lot of room to expand in the learning and experience department.

Cal
That is a very self righteous thing to say. Those are my views, not the same as yours so you act as if they are wrong.

Folks if you look at his name just remember the key word here! "BOY"
Which in most cases refers to being IMMATURE, lacking EXPERENCE and judgement to completly be responsible for his actions.
This is evident by many of the past posts by this pusdeo man.
I take responsibility for everything I do and say, did I go back on anything I have said. I'm sure if two people disagreed with you then you would have, it is called integrity! pusdeo? Don't use your cajun crap on me!

Caustic Burno":10c960qv said:
backhoeboogie":10c960qv said:
Crowderfarms":10c960qv said:

Boogie the boy is classic alligator mouth and hummingbird butt. He is going to mouth off to the wrong old man someday and get a big surprise. He isn't old enough to know how to read people. Just like here the guy that maintains our water system, little wormy looking guy very polite that is the state champion black belt.
I know one old cattleman that runs and rides a bike for 8 miles a day on top of his farm work. To look at either you wouldn't think much about. I know one thing I wouldn't want either one to be mad at me in a small room with just one door.
I am sure I can take care of myself! What do you know you are not even real!

I am very happy to not have anything to do with the southern culture! Your is what causes most of te problems, maybe you could consider that others have there own culture and just because it is not the same as yours it is not wrong. How do you feel when people say harsh things about all of them old flags you love?

Crowderfarms":125gvx05 said:
There's a world of difference between a Mid-Western Lady or Gentleman, than an all knowing New Yorker. Same goes for Southerners.

New Yorkers! You gotta love 'em! I've often wondered if there was some invisible line, somewhere up in Ohio, that once you crossed it and ventured out north and east, you instantly became cynical concerning the existence of goodness in the human race. Thankfully, not all the folks that reside up in that area are that way, but it sure seems that a huge majority of grief that we get in our online business comes from that region. It's a chronic attitude that everyone else is out to CHEAT them. They also frequently express complete surprise when we take care of their problems without a hassle - like they are totally unused to getting genuine customer service.

Auctionboy, I've had the pleasure of working in retail, off and on, for 36 years (in Texas). Most of that as a business owner/manager. I can tell you that I've seen a few rude customers in that time - but they would be less than one tenth of 1 percent of the ones that I've dealt with. The ones that are a true joy to deal with so far outweigh the few grumps that occasionally come through the door that they make the grumps seem insignificant.

It's attitude - expect goodness from people and you usually get it. It's also respect - for your customer and for what you do - realize that YOUR primary purpose is to SERVE your customers and they will always take good care of you in return. My employees occasionally get these pep talks from me along with a reminder of who it is that REALLY pays them! The customers' money just passes through our business account.

Like others, I prefer to deal with a locally owned feed store. But I do shop at the local TSC as well. They are open when the other stores are closed and the staff in the Stephenville TSC store has generally always been available and very friendly.

If the employees in the TSC in your area aren't - then that is a problem that should be relayed to their local store manager, as well as their corporate office :

Tractor Supply Company
200 Powell Place
Brentwood, TN 37027
Phone: (615) 366-4600

You might ask to speak to Mr. Stanley Ruta, who is the Senior Vice President of Store Operations. If he's not available, ask to speak to SOMEONE in store operations.

If a customer had a problem in my store, I'd be very appreciative of them letting me know and give me a chance to fix it. Managers can't be in the store 24/7. I'm seldom in mine any more because of other commitments. But that doesn't mean that I don't care what happens in it.

I've generally had very good luck in resolving issues when I have contacted a person of authority in a corporate office directly.

If I don't, I make it a point to shop elsewhere - even if it involves driving and/or paying more.
So far, United Airlines and Circuit City have failed in satisfactorally resolving a problem for me. United Airlines went bankrupt shortly after that and it looks like Circuit City is now well on their way as well. Failure to take care of customers usually results in failure.

auctionboy said:
Angie- I hope you also get punched in the head!
That's really nice.....you really need to learn to control that anger.

AB, Not everyone is out to get you. You might find it nice to have someone come up to ask "how you're doing, or if you need help" People who do are the backbone of a company, the first impression you as a consumer get when you walk in the door. They also keep customers coming back, and help the company they work for keep the doors open. Working for the public is not for everyone, but it doesn't hurt to be helpful.

I lived in NY for 13 years, I was taught to say yes sir and yes ma'am. My father was born in New York City, he always said yes sir, yes ma'm, and thank you. Which culture are you talking about?

BTW...We have a new employee in my office, she's from NY. She's nice, but I could tell she was not about to talk because she was not trusting. When I'm in the office, I go find her to say hello and ask how she's doing. Now, she comes finds me to say hello. A little nice goes a long way, and I think she is enjoying living in the south.

Just_a_girl":18kkn6bw said:
You edited out the part where Angie says I should be punched in the head. I am from western NY not NYC! People that assume NY is NYC are make something out of themselves. I live in farm country. That is the culture! It is all in another post and confirmed by others.

auctionboy":2wijpnuv said:
Angie- I hope you also get punched in the head!

Forget about that "assume good will" statement I made. Not applicable for this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts