• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Did I do him wrong?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
3,878
Reaction score
8
Location
Kentucky
Really didn't know how to title this but here we go.

I advertised a Angus heifer on Craigslist back in January. She was pure and could be registered. We have sold a lot of heifer on there, some want paper and others don't. I usually don't register until we sell them and just do the transfer at the same time.

A couple bought her and said they wanted to join the Angus Association so they would like her registered, they were supposed to do that week and get me their info to transfer to. Time went by and I forgot about it as we never heard from them. He texted me last we saying sorry it took so long to get back with me. In the mean time we let our membership expire as our registered numbers have dwindled over the years.

Even if I had stayed a member it would be about 3 times as much to register her and transfer her now compared to within the 30 days of sale. Basically $14 then and $39 now. Not much to some but for the price she was sold at it takes a lot of your profit. I really don't want to spend $80 to renew just to register and transfer one heifer. We are down to 4 registered head and really didn't think it was worth it.

What would you do?
 

Caustic Burno

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
25,845
Reaction score
123
Location
Big Thicket East Texas
They were not too interested in the first place if they didn't take care of business in thirty days.
I think I would offer up half the registration price the rest is up to him.
I just be doing that of the kindness of my heart, if he didn't jump on that I would quickly revert back to my timber rattler personality.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
dieselbeef":2uiqqr0x said:
tell em what ya just told us

I agree but if they still want it registered and you sold the calf under the pretense that it could be registered I think you should do whatever it takes to keep your word even if it costs you money.
 

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,819
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
not if their delay was the cost of the extra expense. at that line of thinking they should be charging him for the feed costs and the land usage til they came to get him....

I agree with keeping your word..it can be registered..but now at their expense due to the delay
 

Craig Miller

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
2,234
Reaction score
0
Location
Nw Alabama
Jogeephus":kcuss0zu said:
dieselbeef":kcuss0zu said:
tell em what ya just told us

I agree but if they still want it registered and you sold the calf under the pretense that it could be registered I think you should do whatever it takes to keep your word even if it costs you money.

I see what your saying Joe but there was also a pretense that they would get registered in a timely manner
 

Rafter S

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 17, 2013
Messages
4,413
Reaction score
87
Location
Grimes County, TX
Explain the situation to them and offer to get the heifer registered if they'll pay the difference between what it will cost you to register her now and what it would have cost within 30 days of the sale ($105.00 if I understand the situation). If they don't want to do that then leave things as they are, or offer to buy the heifer back for what they paid, assuming she's been well taken care of.
 

slick4591

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 31, 2011
Messages
10,384
Reaction score
0
Location
Farmersville, Texas
I gotta agree with Jo. As someone who deals in registered animals I get the calves registered before they are weaned, so all I have to do is the transfer if the buyer wants them. Sometimes I lose a little when selling a steer and they don't want the papers, but I have them so the buyer knows what they are getting. Last thing I want is getting a reputation for not producing the papers.
 
OP
tom4018

tom4018

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
3,878
Reaction score
8
Location
Kentucky
Jogeephus":2wujkjbj said:
dieselbeef":2wujkjbj said:
tell em what ya just told us

I agree but if they still want it registered and you sold the calf under the pretense that it could be registered I think you should do whatever it takes to keep your word even if it costs you money.
Even if it took six months to get back with me? Now the fees are more regardless of my membership status.
 
OP
tom4018

tom4018

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
3,878
Reaction score
8
Location
Kentucky
Craig Miller":3bp7v195 said:
How long has it been? Time would play a big factor in deciding what I would do.
Six months. Told me they had just bought some at a sale and were joining the AAA that week and would get back with me. Never heard from them again and really kinda or forgot it. We usually made a decision on registering calves at weaning. Probably should did all pure calves but didn't.
 

M-5

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
7,338
Reaction score
0
Location
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Personally I would make it right. You did say you would register and transfer it . How was he to know you were going to drop your membership. Now I would ask for him to pony up the difference from then and now. .
 

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,819
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
just tell em its registerable but not registered. he can hve it evaluated and then registered if he wants to go thru it..he gonna eat it or breed it..registering is overrated
 

Brute 23

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 19, 2007
Messages
8,851
Reaction score
134
Location
Gulf Coast of South Texas
I would make it right. I would not risk my reputation for $125 no matter if agree or not with how they handled it. ;-)

Im a firm believer it pays long term to take your lumps in the short term. Personally I would consider it a blesssing that it only cost $125 on 1 head. That is a cheap lesson learned. Had you made that error or 10 head it could have been costly. Going forward write out the terms on the receipt when you sell some thing.... "buyer must provide info to register within 30 days of the sale". Problem solved.
 

Craig Miller

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
2,234
Reaction score
0
Location
Nw Alabama
Do y'all think it would have been acceptable if the buyer had already been a member and ole Tom had waited six months to transfer the papers? No. There is an understood time agreement wether it's in writing or not.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
tom4018":3frc6pns said:
Jogeephus":3frc6pns said:
dieselbeef":3frc6pns said:
tell em what ya just told us

I agree but if they still want it registered and you sold the calf under the pretense that it could be registered I think you should do whatever it takes to keep your word even if it costs you money.
Even if it took six months to get back with me? Now the fees are more regardless of my membership status.

I understand your feelings but I suspect this couple were novices and don't understand the registration process nor why its important to do things in a timely manner.

That is why I agree with Diesel when he says you should explain the situation to them and maybe they will see the trouble their ignorance has caused and opt not to get the papers. BUT if they want the papers I would do everything in my power to get them the papers even if it cost me more - UNLESS, you had spelled all this out to them at the time of purchase and have this down on paper.

Tom, I wouldn't "like" doing it, and I'd bytch for a couple days about having to do it, but at the end of the day I'd do it because I'd rather take one on the chin than get a bad name especially a bad name when its totally undeserved. That is just me. You need to just do what your gut says to do and whatever that might be I think you and I can both agree that dealing with the public is fun stuff.
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,917
Reaction score
12
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
If i think I wronged someone, my conscience will get the best of me...I'd make my end right regardless, apparently yours is to,are you wouldn't be worried enough to ask....
 
OP
tom4018

tom4018

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
3,878
Reaction score
8
Location
Kentucky
Craig Miller":25pzk809 said:
Do y'all think it would have been acceptable if the buyer had already been a member and ole Tom had waited six months to transfer the papers? No. There is an understood time agreement wether it's in writing or not.
At the very least I think he should pay the difference between what it would cost now versus 6 months ago. He is not communicating very well with me so who knows what will happen.
 

Nesikep

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
16,033
Reaction score
151
Location
Lillooet, BC, Canada
Rafter S":3il2vkom said:
Explain the situation to them and offer to get the heifer registered if they'll pay the difference between what it will cost you to register her now and what it would have cost within 30 days of the sale ($105.00 if I understand the situation). If they don't want to do that then leave things as they are, or offer to buy the heifer back for what they paid, assuming she's been well taken care of.
exactly my thoughts!
 

TennesseeTuxedo

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2011
Messages
15,862
Reaction score
58
Location
Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
tom4018":13nfns29 said:
Craig Miller":13nfns29 said:
Do y'all think it would have been acceptable if the buyer had already been a member and ole Tom had waited six months to transfer the papers? No. There is an understood time agreement wether it's in writing or not.
At the very least I think he should pay the difference between what it would cost now versus 6 months ago. He is not communicating very well with me so who knows what will happen.

How much did you sell her for? I ask because I've got a group of 20 that I plan to sell as bred heifers in the fall and I'm not sure how much I'll ask for them.

As for this situation, he waited too long and the window of opportunity to register the heifer has closed.

Thanks,

TT
 

Latest posts

Top