Wrong Impression

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Don't get the idea I think my local feed store is an evil place I am in love with the guy that owns it.
I spend a lot of nickels there every year on fertilizer, seed, minerals,meds, barbed wire, post, etc.
If I run out of meds at 10 at night in one phone call he is on the way to open up for me.
The guy that own's it is a Cattleman as well a dang good one. He provides a heck of a service to the community. I support him because he supports me.

I think TSC is a joke to the serious cattle producer and the mentality I have seen since they have came on the scene of welfare cattle. A lot of people have been proping up Ole Belle with city money and now it is getting a little tight the cold hard reality of what she cost is hitting home .
Drive by one you see 40,000 waxed and shined trucks belt buckles as big as hub caps and it looks like a bunch os pi$$ ant's toting crackers going in and out.

Texas is a lot different environment as far as cattle production than Indiana. The idea of buying things like fence or water tanks at a feed store is pretty foreign here. In fact, calling it a feed store is odd, as most people refer to them as mills, since those are the only places that sell feed at prices within reason.

TSC is routinely 15% higher on everything than a couple of more farmer oriented chains. If you need to braid your horse's mane, TSC has you covered.

I have said it before many times. I support my local feed store. Mr. Cook is more than an owner, he is local color, historian, flirt, giver of biscuits to dogs who accompany their owners, (won't see that at TSC), and giver of advice which is usually spot on. I know him, he knows us, knows what we drive, and knows what we need before we walk in. I don't think that TSC is or ever will be competition for him. If he ain't got it, he'll get it or tell you where to go to get it. The nearest TSC is staffed by total idiots who hide when you walk in. I was at the location in Hillsboro looking at clippers, (had just come from a donkey show), and had to walk out because no one would bother to help us. I did speak to the store manager before we left, though, and told him that this was no way to run a business and that we would not darken his door again. Have kept that promise for the whole franchise so far.

My local feed mill/store is probably one of the biggest independent mills in the southeast. He sells to the small timers but specializes in bulk to large producers.

He is worried that when the price of feed doubles next year, there won't be any cows left to support his investment because they will all be sold. He won't be able to make it by selling a few bags of horse feed.

There is not enough grassland to support the number of cattle we have now (pine plantings for 30 years :roll: ) and with the price of fertilizer even the larger landowners will struggle.

Just a few years ago, it was cheaper to drylot cows than it was to pasture them. Those days may be well gone..

Sorry, can't agree with you on this. Fence, posts, and other prices are up to 25% less at TSC than at the Co-op. O buy all the feed at the Co-op because its cheaper.

I don't make this into a moral thing, its a dollar and cents thing. Gotta look out for our business too.

Bachelor, The old hardware stores in town carried grade 8 bolts all the way up in size. Home Depot came in and they only carry grade 8 up to 1/2 inch and they are higher that heck, in individual bags. The maw and paw shops went out of business. It was 45 miles ONE WAY to get bolts. TSC came to town. I go there for bolts now. TSC is also open Sunday. I'd rather buy from them than Lowes or Home Depot, but I always go with the maw and paw feed stores first. They are glad to see me and like my business. Their prices are competitive. If we don't shop there, they will go out of business and we may be making 45 mile oneway trips again for something we need. That's about $20 in fuel for me not to mention time.

some things are good about TSC as well as bad.yes they can an do hurt the mom an pop feed stores.but if you really think of it selling feed isnt a good living.because when you sell a sack of feed you only make like .50 a sack.most stores would have to sell 300 sacks a day to breakeven.in my town i only know of 5 feedmills.

I don't go to feed stores for advice. I go to the cheapest place and buy what I need. If you need a friend you should go to a bar, but the idea that people would call some shop keep after hours is rude to say the least. If you go to TSC to ask questions maybe you should read a book.

Our local feed mill or feed store what ever you want to call it it is both, has been in business as long as i can remember. The third generation is now helping to run the it. Alot of folks was driving to a town north of us to Race Brothers farm supply and TSC so our feed store invested in a new building and stared a Ture Value hardware store to go along with feed and fertlize business he was doing. They sell every thing Race Brothers and TSC sells Plus you still get the same farm supplys they always handled and they are competing TSC very well, and i can still get to do business with people that no me when i come threw the door.
Actionboy Thats the very reason i do busniess with these people they run cattle to, they no that i would not call them at 10 pm if i didn,t need it now! It is called costumer service, they want and appreicate my business and have had it from my dad and now me they have been there with us and for us threw the good and bad times. I have never asked for their help for anything that they didn,t do ther best to help me.

auctionboy":1llm98nn said:
I don't go to feed stores for advice. I go to the cheapest place and buy what I need. If you need a friend you should go to a bar, but the idea that people would call some shop keep after hours is rude to say the least. If you go to TSC to ask questions maybe you should read a book.

What a smart a$$ comment. Ain't nothing like going to the local feed store (even after hours if necessary) but maybe the folks up in NY are different. Why would I want to go to a bar to find a friend? And I don't necessarily alwasy buy "cheapest". I want "good" feed. Our local store owner tells us to call him and once he gets back to the store he's in no hurry to get away from you. I usually have to almost leave him talking. He's a cattleman too, unlike the college kids that work at TSC who don't now squat about feed or anything else in the store. Rather than buy from TSC buy from your local Purina store. They make the TSC feed anyway. Heck our old feedstore has stuff in the back that is probably 60 years old. (hardware type stuff and even harness for mules).

TexasBred":31en3azx said:
maybe the folks up in NY are different.

There's no doubt about that. Just watch them go through a 4 way stop. Their number one goal is to not wait their turn. It seems to sort of make their day.

Caustic Burno":um6raev3 said:
Don't get the idea I think my local feed store is an evil place I am in love with the guy that owns it.
I spend a lot of nickels there every year on fertilizer, seed, minerals,meds, barbed wire, post, etc.
If I run out of meds at 10 at night in one phone call he is on the way to open up for me.
The guy that own's it is a Cattleman as well a dang good one. He provides a heck of a service to the community. I support him because he supports me.

I think TSC is a joke to the serious cattle producer and the mentality I have seen since they have came on the scene of welfare cattle. A lot of people have been proping up Ole Belle with city money and now it is getting a little tight the cold hard reality of what she cost is hitting home .
Drive by one you see 40,000 waxed and shined trucks belt buckles as big as hub caps and it looks like a bunch os pi$$ ant's toting crackers going in and out.

What is TSC?
GMN

backhoeboogie":n2qg7xxe said:
Don't start thinking they supply/sell tractors cause they don't.

I like their offering of Schmidt denim, Carhartt and Cinch workwear though. :cboy: As for the rest, I use the Co-op and my friendly neighborhood Feed & General Store.

auctionboy":31nescsm said:
Well I tell you what if wanting someone to help me find something in a huge store like Home Depot or Menards instead of wandering around the damn place looking for it is considered needing a friend then your right I need a friend my time is worth something if I want to go snipe hunting I will stay at home and take my nephew. Or maybe I will shop at the local place were they don't just show me where it is they will go get it for me while I pay for it because they knew the price in their head.

auctionboy":3jp19ps5 said:

Spoken like true Yankee! I bet you don't say "please, thank you, ma'am or sir" either.

Texas Gal":2e31k9wm said:
auctionboy":2e31k9wm said:

Spoken like true Yankee! I bet you don't say "please, thank you, ma'am or sir" either.

The boy gave us clear clarification on that a long time ago. You must have missed it. Lucky you.

backhoeboogie":2l9h7lki said:
TexasBred":2l9h7lki said:
maybe the folks up in NY are different.

There's no doubt about that. Just watch them go through a 4 way stop. Their number one goal is to not wait their turn. It seems to sort of make their day.

Lots of them can't pronounce words right either. :lol2: :lol2: Hardly sounds like English, let alone Texican.

Auctionboy,
Don't you think that any business owner/employee should be able to give advice? Or are you saying that you know it all and don't need anyone's advice? Whatever the case may be, I ask my local feedstore owner for advice on what to feed is best for a certain age of animal. I consult with the mechanic servicing my truck when I have a question. My wife asks for hair advice at the beauty parlor. Isn't that what these people are supposed to do, give advice about products and/or procedures? About opening the store after hours, that is a courtesy that is offered by the owner and you would never ask them to open up unless it was a dire emergency. Don't attack customs just because they are foreign to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts