Would you consider?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lammie":xjp8bcwo said:
I personally would not consider it. I think that meat is part of a well balanced diet. We do live near Keene, which is a town founded by Seventh Day Adventists, ( I hope I spelled that right), and they do not eat meat. Some of them are vegans, but not everyone. There is church sponsered college there and the food in the cafeteria is very good and meat free. It just isnt the way I was raised.

Lammie,

My daughter got her degree from the university in Keene, and as I remember she commented on the meat free menus there, which suited her fine. She's not a vegan, necessarily, she just doesn't much care for meat. Sometimes she'll eat chicken and shrimp, but beef just doesn't rock her world. She'll go to Burger King and get a double whopper cut the meat.

Huguley Hospital is also a Seventh Day Adventist institution. It offers a meat and vegan menu. I think with the Adventists, and I may be way off base here...they don't have a problem with eating meat for the reasons the PETA folks do, it has to do with their belief that a meat free diet is a healtier diet. They do not ban (for lack of a better word) meat, but consider some meat unclean and find it easier to avoid meat in general. They also avoid caffiene. They are a healthy bunch of folks, I'll give 'em that.

Alice

I luv herfrds":mdju1gmp said:
No way. They can live their lives as they want as long as they don't try to chang my eating habits. Let's not forget these are the same people who liked to hectal little kids who were singing the Oscar weiner song.

Curtis I can not find my Bible, but in the New Testament there was one I read that said do not follow the teachings of the false prophet who tells you to not eat meat. King James.

I didn't know about that...the heckling thing. However, one meat that many absolutely will not eat is pork. They get that from a chapter in the Bible, but I have no idea what it is.

Alice

Being vegetarian is against my religion. :D They should keep that in the closet where it belongs. ;-)

I'm not near my Bible now, but I think the "pork Is Unclean" thing came from the old testament commands about the hooves.

The warning of false prophets and the forbidding of eating meats, I think is in Paul's letter to Timothy, where he is also warning of the religious teachers forbidding marrage. I think that is where the Catholics got the teaching of forbidding meat on Friday and not letting the priests marry.

I will take no offense if someone wants to correct me, I'm just trying to do this from memory.

Alice":2mge75cr said:
Lammie":2mge75cr said:
I personally would not consider it. I think that meat is part of a well balanced diet. We do live near Keene, which is a town founded by Seventh Day Adventists, ( I hope I spelled that right), and they do not eat meat. Some of them are vegans, but not everyone. There is church sponsered college there and the food in the cafeteria is very good and meat free. It just isnt the way I was raised.

Lammie,

My daughter got her degree from the university in Keene, and as I remember she commented on the meat free menus there, which suited her fine. She's not a vegan, necessarily, she just doesn't much care for meat. Sometimes she'll eat chicken and shrimp, but beef just doesn't rock her world. She'll go to Burger King and get a double whopper cut the meat.

Huguley Hospital is also a Seventh Day Adventist institution. It offers a meat and vegan menu. I think with the Adventists, and I may be way off base here...they don't have a problem with eating meat for the reasons the PETA folks do, it has to do with their belief that a meat free diet is a healtier diet. They do not ban (for lack of a better word) meat, but consider some meat unclean and find it easier to avoid meat in general. They also avoid caffiene. They are a healthy bunch of folks, I'll give 'em that.

Alice

Yes, I have been driving through Keene for many years, getting stopped by their vigilant police force several times.

There was no place to eat in town that served meat until this deli came along in about 1999. You couldn't get meat in the local grocery store. Now there is a Sonic and Subway there.

I always liked the Harvest Market in Keene. I used to get dried fruit and carob raisins to snack on. But Keene's a different place. I used to joke that the municipal water supply was drugged to make everyone compliant and, as a side effect, drive insanely. I try to avoid driving through there whenever possible.

I think there's Tommyknockers in there. :shock:

No offense intended. I had quite a few Adventists work for me over the years and I learned a lot about that denomination by asking stupid questions, which they answered without laughing at me. Usually. I also knew that they avoided caffeine, which is probably good for you. I'm addicted, so I am not a good person to talk to about caffeine.

Some of those folks I met were vegans, some just avoided beef, poultry and pork and ate fish. Some avoided pork but would eat other meats. I admire that sort of dedication. I eat everything. :(

My daughter is a veggie. She got that way in college. Seems one of her tree huggin' profs gave them an exercise to follow the animal (many) through its life cycle from conception to butchering and convinced a good many students that it was a lot "cleaner" to eat veggie than to eat processed meat.

I asked her one day when she was being particullarly sh_tty about me and her mom eating meat if she knew where tomatoes came from in the Winter. She didn't have a clue - so I told her. They come from where they still use DDT and Chlorodane and a whole bunch of other pesticides banned in the US to keep the bugs off their plants. She didn't believe me.

I wouldn't become even if we didn't have cattle.

The one person I know that was a vegan was not skinny. She ate pastes, cheese, and breads. I don't think she knew what vegetables were.

It seems to me the vegan lifestyle is pushed in college. At PennState there was an Anti-Meat day held by one of those clubs( don't know which one) this past spring. They handed out vegetitarian hotdogs and other foods to promote the vegan lifestyle. Needless to say the Pa. Beef Council stayed on their toes and handed out beef jerky and other beef items at the same time.

Vegetarianism is linked to loss of memory and brain function.

They are urged to take fish oil tablets to try and make up for the Omega Fatty Acid they lose from not eating meat.

what exactly is the difference between vegetarians and vegans?

I can't see myself giving up meat or caffeiene. I actually pride myself on the fact that I eat everything, I am a good dinner guest, no nonsense here.

i think, vegans do not eat ANY meat whatsoever, and vegetarians will stray with chicken or fish. it may be the other way around. feel free to correct me.

No way I could become a vegetarian.

I thought it was like this:
Vegetarian = No meat
Vegean = No animal products at all

I had two friends in college that were vegetarians. Not because of health or humane reasons, they just didnt like meat that much. They would occasionally have chicken, and one liked grilled seafood, but that was it. One of them told me she actually wished she liked meat, just didnt.

Ryan

Vegetarianism, practice of eating foods from the plant kingdom. There are several types of vegetarians. While all vegetarians avoid some or all animal foods—that is, meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and milk—semi-vegetarians avoid meat but eat poultry and other animal foods. Lacto-ovo-vegetarians avoid poultry and fish as well as meat, but do include milk and eggs in their diets. The only animal foods consumed by lacto-vegetarians are milk products. Some vegetarians practice veganism, eating no animal foods at all. Many vegans avoid wearing animal products, such as leather and wool, and are also more likely than other vegetarians to shun alcoholic beverages, processed foods, and foods grown with chemical fertilizers or pesticides.

[/b]

Not a chance, i eat some sort of meat with every meal and really dont see how anybody could live without it. But Different strokes fer different folks i reckon.

jw":36di0y07 said:
I'm not near my Bible now, but I think the "pork Is Unclean" thing came from the old testament commands about the hooves.

The warning of false prophets and the forbidding of eating meats, I think is in Paul's letter to Timothy, where he is also warning of the religious teachers forbidding marrage. I think that is where the Catholics got the teaching of forbidding meat on Friday and not letting the priests marry.

I will take no offense if someone wants to correct me, I'm just trying to do this from memory.

I thought it was a Jewish and Islamic dietary law. Nothing with cloven hooves or shellfish. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I am but a humble Baptist.

L Weir":1fn1b6xy said:
I wouldn't become even if we didn't have cattle.

The one person I know that was a vegan was not skinny. She ate pastes, cheese, and breads. I don't think she knew what vegetables were.

It seems to me the vegan lifestyle is pushed in college. At PennState there was an Anti-Meat day held by one of those clubs( don't know which one) this past spring. They handed out vegetitarian hotdogs and other foods to promote the vegan lifestyle. Needless to say the Pa. Beef Council stayed on their toes and handed out beef jerky and other beef items at the same time.

In the Harvest Market they had this stuff called Wham. It is supposed to resemble ham in some fashion. I have never tried any kind of substitute for meat. Other than Mom's meatloaf or the occasional soy bean filler I am sure is in all school lunch hamburgers. My son's best friend's parents are vegetarians, but they fix meat for their kids and decided to just let them choose when they get older. But my ex had a friend who was a vegan and he would not touch any of my food because he thought I may have put some sort of animal fat in it even it did not contain meat. I told him to stop showing up at dinnertime, then.

"Lev. 11 and Deut. 14 give lists of those foods that God called unclean. Interestingly in the Garden of Eden, man was never commanded to eat animals. Man was originally created to be vegetarian. After the fall, God made a covenant with Noah. In Gen 9:2-5, He gave him permission to eat ANYTHING that did not have its life blood in it. This included ALL land animals, birds and fishes. No exception was given. During the time of Moses, God introduced a number of restrictions. Why did God seemingly change his mind in Moses' day?

Lev. 11:44, 45 cite God's holiness as a reason for Israel having to abstain from unclean foods. Deut. 14 is a little more revealing, especially verses 1, 2, 21. These verses stress the fact that Israel were God's people. It was OK for foreigners to eat unclean foods, but not Israel. It must be noted that God never intended bad for the foreigners because Israel were once strangers in Egypt (Ex. 22:21; 23:9). So why then was it OK for them but not for Israel? Because Israel were God's people. They were to be different. It had to be clear to anyone by observing His people that their God was holy. The reason for this apparent change of God's mind was to make a distinction between Israel and the other nations. I may have done differently if I were God, but fortunately for the reader, I am not. God just decided, "I want you to be different, and this is how."

In the New Testament we see a relaxing of those food laws. In Acts 10:14, 15 Peter's old way of thinking had to be changed as the transition from Law to Gospel moved into high gear. 1 Tim. 4:1-5 is the final word on the subject. Everything God made is clean and may be eaten."

Outrigger2":1it0xkv4 said:
i think, vegans do not eat ANY meat whatsoever, and vegetarians will stray with chicken or fish. it may be the other way around. feel free to correct me.

Vegans claim to use no animal products. They do, of course. There are animal byproducts in sheet rock, wall paint, car tires, sidewalks, roads, glues in furniture, in transmission of electricity.... The only way to avoid animal by products would be to live in a cave and these people aren't going to do that. They ignore that the vegan diet, consisting of mostly veggies and grains, also kills animals; mice, ground nesting birds, moles, etc., are killed or displaced when a field is plowed for crop planting. But they won't wear leather. :roll:

No, I would not consider being a vegetarian.

I have nothing against vegetarians. Don't push it on me and I won't push meat-eating on them.

Katherine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts