Would You Change Your Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Change Your Breed

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What is with this poll? Aren't we supposed to avoid discussing religion and politics? Seems this poll is right in the middle of them both.

vs_cattle":2uxmpeic said:
What You Running for now

Running mainly Tigerstripe and Brangus cows. Got a few Black Baldies and Red Mottlies and a couple that could pass as pure Angus and then a dozen or so high percentage Brahman cows. Have two Charolais bulls on these cows.

Cow_Town":3h4q9yhq said:
vs_cattle":3h4q9yhq said:
What You Running for now

Running mainly Tigerstripe and Brangus cows. Got a few Black Baldies and Red Mottlies and a couple that could pass as pure Angus and then a dozen or so high percentage Brahman cows. Have two Charolais bulls on these cows.
You mean your cows are not all the same color :?:
My, my :shock:

(Just between us, you are not the only one) ;-)

Ryder":a8li977e said:
Cow_Town":a8li977e said:
vs_cattle":a8li977e said:
What You Running for now

You mean your cows are not all the same color :?:
My, my :shock:

(Just between us, you are not the only one) ;-)

Yeah, curse us who are not riding for the " Purebred Posse " ;-)

I dont like hypothetical questions...kinda like asking, would you change your wife or husband? probably get more response out of that one. ha ha

backhoeboogie":2x2vs9wt said:
What is with this poll? Aren't we supposed to avoid discussing religion and politics? Seems this poll is right in the middle of them both.
absolutely.

i do believe my cows would go on stike if they ever saw a red or white one in their midst. gasp. the horror :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Let's see it would be easier to list the breeds that aren't represented in my pasture than the ones that are there. There aren't any longhorns, limo, pinz, or salers that I can thing of. But there is at least one of every other major breed and a bunch of crossbred combinations which may include some breeding from those four listed but nothing noticable. So what what would I have to add to make a change?
Oh, I guess I could go purebred. That isn't likely to happen.

When the Simmis were switching to black we were going to change to herefords, but decided it would be like starting over again.

If you have spent years raising a large herd of cows that have the traits you want and work the best for your environment and land then you would be dumb as a stump to throw that away in order to "change breeds!"

It has been said before and I will say it again there is as many different types of cows in a breed as there are different breeds.
After a cattlemen spends years culling hard ect. to get a great herd why would he up and change because of breed?

Why would I want to change - Angus cows and a Jersey bull - i've got the market cornered. Just waiting on the demand to catch up to my production capabilities. Done shipped several herd bull prospects to Tennessee!!

is the jersey to add muscle to the angus? ;-)

On a serious note: I have never seen someone change breeds that don't wish at some time they didn't.

I can see changing bulls in a commercial operation to go after a different market or for some other reason, but changing an entire cowherd is another story. As others have said, why change something if it's working for you?

As for seedstock producers, I wouldn't imagine too many change breeds if they've been in the business very long. It takes years to build a top notch herd and a good reputation. I can see adding another breed, but not starting over from scratch. Besides, most people choose a breed because they like that particular breed. If they make money with one, they could probably make money with others, but they're likely to stick with what they like best.

Latest posts