Passive Income From Your Ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

I get concerned about powerlines. Long ago we lived in a subdivision with a powerline running down our property line. We had 2 female dogs that for the 3 years we lived there never came into heat. I've never had cattle or horses around powerlines long term but I'd want to talk with someone about that or get enough money it wouldn't make a difference
Where this is going is very sorry range land. It is so steep that walking on it is difficult. When there the cows have access to about 900 acres of my ground plus around 2,500 acres of BLM. So less than 200 cows on about 3,400 acres and only there for around 75 days. They wont be near the power line very much.

Over here people are having concerns about the costs of decommissioning solar farms and wind turbines after their lifespan. Apparently it is very expensive, similar cost to establishing them. There is no guarantee that the companies that put them in will remain solvent at the end and the cost could fall to the landowner so all of this has to be factored in when considering a project like this.

Ken
I'd have that concern, too, based on the track record we've seen from the US gov't 'picking and choosing' winners - like Solyndra - in their grand Green Agenda scheme. It's becoming more and more evident to folks other than just myself that the 'renewable, so-called 'environmentally-friendly wind & solar crap is not-yet-ready-for-primetime, and will seldom, if ever, recoup the embodied energy in the facilities or the inputs to get them in place.

A good portion of my place was cleared and the fence-line pushed back about 3 years ago. Put In new fences around the whole place but left them inside of the clearing and away from the trees around the edges about 30 feet so I could clip around the outside of the pasture and wouldn't have to worry about limbs and trees taking down the fences.

Took a lot of burning, grading, and rock picking to clean up around that and still have more to do but I have thought ever since I started that I would do something with the buffer zone around the pasture for some kind of future income. I landed on an Idea for part of it last year and purchased a thousand Christmas tree seeds and propagated them myself. They will be big enough to plant next fall. Call it a hobby if you want, but I get a good deal of satisfaction and relaxation out of starting plants from seeds, in about 4 years it will begin to pay me back, 3 if I sell to nurseries. I could have bought the seedlings and gotten return much faster but wouldn't have been near as satisfied with the results.

Firewood is another thing that I have done, sold rocks, and repaired wooden things for people, I was a carpenter/woodworker in my first life. Still love it as long as I can do it on my terms. And one last thing that I absolutely refuse to turn into a job is wood sculptures with a chain saw or anything else I can find to get the results I picture in my mind. I haven't sold any in a while, have given many away, but I will retire from my day job one day and will start selling them. For now they are littered around family and friends places, and the ranch.

We have been receiving offers from Solar company's for years now. The last offer quoted $50,000 per year to lease 30 acres. A major line runs right across our fields and the property is located only a few miles from a nuclear Power plant in Minnesota. We have 90 acres of cropland leased to a farmer on that parcel right now. He pays less than 1/3 of that. Despite the lucrative offer, I just can't bring myself to destroy 30 acres of good productive farmland.
Destroying good farmland for solar panels is an insane idea in my opinion. At the same time, in an effort to save fish, we are tearing out dams that generate power, provide transportation corridors and that provide irrigation for farmers in areas that would otherwise be a desert.

If you go with solar or wind farms, make sure you get something in the contract that assures they will remove everything and restore the property to its original condition when they pull out...and they WILL ultimately pull out...like someone said earlier, the technology for large scale wind and/or solar generation of electricity just isn't there...and may never be. When the government subsidies run out, they will probably declare bankruptcy and you don't want to be left with a mess on your place.

If you go with solar or wind farms, make sure you get something in the contract that assures they will remove everything and restore the property to its original condition when they pull out...and they WILL ultimately pull out...like someone said earlier, the technology for large scale wind and/or solar generation of electricity just isn't there...and may never be. When the government subsidies run out, they will probably declare bankruptcy and you don't want to be left with a mess on your place.
You are correct. Make them put money in escrow for the clean up. There is not enough regulation on them.

I was just rereading some of this thread and it came to me that I might have missed an opportunity.

We had a house in Lead, South Dakota along with the ranch. The house was above Deadwood and west of Sturgis, and we rented it for the motorcycle rally for $2500 for the week. The ranch was north of Sturgis and an easy drive. I thought about making a campsite area and renting it out to groups that wanted to camp, but never pulled the trigger. And some of the downside seemed a little risky. But I could have rented the whole place out. The only thing I would have worried about for the most part is the barn full of hay. In early august I could have stored the hay away from the barn and the empty 12,000 square feet of barn would have made a great place for partying, and the 40X80 shop would have made a good bunk house. I wonder what that kind of accommodation would have been worth? I'd bet I could have gotten 25K if the right group of bikers could have been hooked.

Damn... Now I need to go buy the ranch back.

A good portion of my place was cleared and the fence-line pushed back about 3 years ago. Put In new fences around the whole place but left them inside of the clearing and away from the trees around the edges about 30 feet so I could clip around the outside of the pasture and wouldn't have to worry about limbs and trees taking down the fences.

Took a lot of burning, grading, and rock picking to clean up around that and still have more to do but I have thought ever since I started that I would do something with the buffer zone around the pasture for some kind of future income. I landed on an Idea for part of it last year and purchased a thousand Christmas tree seeds and propagated them myself. They will be big enough to plant next fall. Call it a hobby if you want, but I get a good deal of satisfaction and relaxation out of starting plants from seeds, in about 4 years it will begin to pay me back, 3 if I sell to nurseries. I could have bought the seedlings and gotten return much faster but wouldn't have been near as satisfied with the results.

Firewood is another thing that I have done, sold rocks, and repaired wooden things for people, I was a carpenter/woodworker in my first life. Still love it as long as I can do it on my terms. And one last thing that I absolutely refuse to turn into a job is wood sculptures with a chain saw or anything else I can find to get the results I picture in my mind. I haven't sold any in a while, have given many away, but I will retire from my day job one day and will start selling them. For now they are littered around family and friends places, and the ranch.
Devil's Tower area?

I was just rereading some of this thread and it came to me that I might have missed an opportunity.

We had a house in Lead, South Dakota along with the ranch. The house was above Deadwood and west of Sturgis, and we rented it for the motorcycle rally for $2500 for the week. The ranch was north of Sturgis and an easy drive. I thought about making a campsite area and renting it out to groups that wanted to camp, but never pulled the trigger. And some of the downside seemed a little risky. But I could have rented the whole place out. The only thing I would have worried about for the most part is the barn full of hay. In early august I could have stored the hay away from the barn and the empty 12,000 square feet of barn would have made a great place for partying, and the 40X80 shop would have made a good bunk house. I wonder what that kind of accommodation would have been worth? I'd bet I could have gotten 25K if the right group of bikers could have been hooked.

Damn... Now I need to go buy the ranch back.
It's never too late, and at this stage we don't have nearly as many years to reckon with the consequences of failure

I've tried several things to bring in side income, chicken's, guinea fowl, turkeys, quail, duck's, sheep, goats,. Bottle calves,... That's over a 9 year span. I now Hate Goats, Ducks and almost hate sheep. Lol. I still occasionally sell chicken's, turkeys and guinea fowl. And I can't get away from bottle calves lol I have a rep for taking them and I've had to turn down some already this year, I have 6 and I'd have to buy replacer if I got anymore. I like the bottle calves long as I can keep it under 10 at a time.

Got pics of some sculptures? I love that stuff but don't have the patience…watched all the episodes of "A Cut Above"…completely fascinated

Those are awesome! I'm not much of an artist, although I can draw flies really well. Sculptor? Well, I can whittle a toothpick.

I do have a neighbor that does chainsaw sculpting. He has a human sized wooden indian to support his mailbox. The mailbox is right where you imagine, and painted red.
Very cool stuff...hats off to you
I've never looked at a piece of wood and not thought of what I could make out of it, or as they say "being able to see what is inside of it." I turned a hobby of woodworking into a 36 year carpentry career but never had a desire to carve for a living as the thought of trying to please someone else was pressure that kinda takes the fun out and as a result my creativity suffers. I have instead just done it for a pressure relief and if someone acted like they loved it more than me, I gave it to them. I still am in construction (46 years) and still haul a lot of tools around with me, but I haven't worn a tool belt in at least 20. Would you believe my very first chainsaw carving made the front page of the newspaper? I was only trying to make something to put in the garden because it looked empty. It, along with many others through the years, was stolen in the night. One of the reasons I like carving in tree trunks or stumps as the ones in these photos. I started another one a few weeks ago but got rained out if and when I finish it, I'll post it here. I also have a tree on my place that needs cutting and I plan to make a ranch sign out of it and a few rocks on the place.