Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

16 foot priefert bull gates in hand…now to hang them…starting Sunday, rain chances increase for about 4 days…the rain is good but holds up the work…finished the muddy parts of the rehab pasture this week with hand sprayers…had some of this stuff pictured at the very back…phone says it is longbract wild indigo…whatever it is, the chemical is knocking it down pretty good…the coneflowers I sprayed last week are looking pretty sad but not completely dead…evidently it takes a little time for the chemicals to work on them…some pokeweed was over there but it has just about died off…the thistles put up a good fight but they are on the run…if thistles were a cash crop, some folks around here could get rich…chicken litter may be delivered in the next day or so…and the beat goes on

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpeg
    IMG_1292.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1291.jpeg
    IMG_1291.jpeg
    677.5 KB · Views: 8
Way back in this thread, the topic of breeds came up. Found some of Dad's old records this past week. There was, indeed, a Charolais bull in the early 2000's (news to me) and a Simmental bull (also news to me). Explains the look of some of the cows.
SIMM got popular in East Texas and disappeared almost as fast . It's hard to sell dead calves. They came in here just as EPD's were coming along and it wasn't pretty.
Breeding those SIMM bulls to crayon cows was an ugly mess. The Chars came along about that time as well early 70's the cows were popular in the crossbreeds from jump not the bulls, again no one had a clue what a CE number meant .

SIMM got popular in East Texas and disappeared almost as fast . It's hard to sell dead calves. They came in here just as EPD's were coming along and it wasn't pretty.
Breeding those SIMM bulls to crayon cows was an ugly mess. The Chars came along about that time as well early 70's the cows were popular in the crossbreeds from jump not the bulls, again no one had a clue what a CE number meant .
Same thing happened down here in the late 60's-ear;ly 70's. The Char and Simm pallet-headed, cow-killer bulls wreaked havoc on the waist-high, 800 lb Ang and Herf cows down here. Later on, though as the Char and Simm cows made their way down here, doing it the other way...Ang or Herf bulls on Char or Simm cows.... proved to be successful.

Last three gates are up…the missus helped (Farmin' with Carmen)…the last one was easier than the first as is often the case - getting a good process down and being methodical about it. Cleaned out the rest of the scrap metal from in and around the lot - leftover from improvements there. Starting to see a few bitter weeds coming up and the pecan trees are showing leaves so the big Grazon P+D application is just around the corner. Rain has me shut down for the moment. Ready for worming and working calves - probably in the next week or so. Things coming together nicely but still plenty to do. March was an outstanding month of getting stuff accomplished. Pretty satisfied with this year's progress thus far. As they say on tv "stay tuned" - gonna try and keep it in a nine line bind.

Geez…the bottom just fell out here for about 15 minutes…hard, driving rain and high wind…slacked back off the gentle spring rain at the moment…makes me wonder how many trees may have gone down…sigh…April in East Texas

Been getting most of my down and broken up trees from the past couple years pushed together and burned the past couple months. Still have a few piles to go. Been to busy and windy to burn them all. But yes, it's about time for more to break up and blow down in addition to the ones that died last year from lack of rain for 4 months. Seems odd, looking over the landscape in the area, a lot of Cedar has bit the dust.

Been getting most of my down and broken up trees from the past couple years pushed together and burned the past couple months. Still have a few piles to go. Been to busy and windy to burn them all. But yes, it's about time for more to break up and blow down in addition to the ones that died last year from lack of rain for 4 months. Seems odd, looking over the landscape in the area, a lot of Cedar has bit the dust.
That's too bad about about losing those cedars......said no one ever.

Wish some of my cedar had bit the dust. The biggest falling tree problem here are the dang hackberry trees (some call them sugar berry). If the dang things don't uproot, the trunks split. Fortunately, the two I can see from here are relatively easy to get to. One will have to wait for some dry weather. It's on the fence line beside my mother's house. Also fortunately, neither one fell on the fence. The first one here is on the edge of a hay pasture. The other is in Mom's yard. That storm really laid the rye grass over.

Attachments

• IMG_1312.jpeg
    IMG_1312.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1311.jpeg
    IMG_1311.jpeg
    708.2 KB · Views: 4
Hackberrys are bad about falling. They grown fast and make nice shade but must have a short life span.
And the trunks split too easy. Makes you wonder how they manage to get as big as some do. These have been out there almost since I was a kid. Stood through all those storms over all those years and decide to go down now - one uprooted and one broke off.

Wish some of my cedar had bit the dust. The biggest falling tree problem here are the dang hackberry trees (some call them sugar berry). If the dang things don't uproot, the trunks split. Fortunately, the two I can see from here are relatively easy to get to. One will have to wait for some dry weather. It's on the fence line beside my mother's house. Also fortunately, neither one fell on the fence. The first one here is on the edge of a hay pasture. The other is in Mom's yard. That storm really laid the rye grass over.
My dad used to say the wind won't lay down a crop that is not good.

Gman, I've read this whole entire thread and I feel like I know you and I'm back in Texas. You are very enjoyable to read, you work hard. and have great cattle. Thank you for joining cattletoday, sir.
Well, thank you very much. I guess this is my version of a kind of journal. Never really been self-disciplined enough to do that. I enjoy talking to folks on here and putting these entries in helps me keep things I need to do in focus…still playing catch up on the place but have made good progress over the last 2 - 3 years. Good to be here…if you ever find yourself in the piney woods of east Texas, give me a holler.

Latest posts