Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Were you the one doin the hanky panky?
Nope, I was the real straight arrow in school... grades were a priority......and I worked after school to support my horse/riding habit... AND I was a 98% country music fan... Jim Reeves being one of my favorites....Eddy Arnold and the older style country singers. That was because my parents listened to them alot. But there were a couple songs from a couple groups that I just liked ; Crimson and Clover was one... Sittin on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding... because a boy I liked, liked it... and I probably did not get what most of the underlying "meanings" were... things like that did not cross my mind... not very astute to things like that ... Just walk away, Renee.... think that was by the Turtles ???... Liked things from the Carpernters and the Mommas and the Pappas....Had to like a few to fit in with the few school girls I knew... Never got into the Beatles much...
Funny how some things stick with you

The only reason I bothered listening to Mommas and poppas was because of Michelle Philips but wow, did she ever turn into a total dopehead mess. That group was all screwed up.

Pouring down rain with some pretty good wind gusts out of the north…guess this is the annual cool snap we normally get around Easter…good thing the water line installation is complete…the guys did a great job of packing down the backfill and dressing the surface…haven't heard back on when the tractor might be coming home…chomping at the bit and trapped inside today…wonder what's on TV(?)

Pouring down rain with some pretty good wind gusts out of the north…guess this is the annual cool snap we normally get around Easter…good thing the water line installation is complete…the guys did a great job of packing down the backfill and dressing the surface…haven't heard back on when the tractor might be coming home…chomping at the bit and trapped inside today…wonder what's on TV(?)
I know the feeling. Had a spot (about the size of a nickel removed from the top of my hand Friday. About a 2 1/2 inch long gash sewed up pretty tight. Beginning to get some flexibility without feeling the pull and pain today but still not able to do much without pulling stitches. Got another excision scheduled in about 10 days but its on my forearm so it shouldn't slow me down much.

What's on TV.....not much! For me it's pretty much just a noise maker that keeps the wife happy and entertained...:sneaky:

I know the feeling. Had a spot (about the size of a nickel removed from the top of my hand Friday. About a 2 1/2 inch long gash sewed up pretty tight. Beginning to get some flexibility without feeling the pull and pain today but still not able to do much without pulling stitches. Got another excision scheduled in about 10 days but its on my forearm so it shouldn't slow me down much.

What's on TV.....not much! For me it's pretty much just a noise maker that keeps the wife happy and entertained...:sneaky:
We have a cat who is a huge fan of BBC's Planet Earth. She'll watch it as long as it is on.

Hard to sit still on a day off from work knowing how much I'd like to get finished while the weather is still relatively cool. Much to do this year. Getting it rolling and keeping it rolling is the order of the day. Enlisted outside help for a couple of projects: One is complete and the other is close to complete. Tractor should be back this Thursday. Working on starting Phase 2 of the water trough relocation. Two big piles of brush to move and a little spraying for coneflowers left to do on back "rehab" pasture. Lemme at 'em! Once that's done, start on clearing the footprint for the barn...the one that is there now collapsed 10 - 15 years ago.

Got the soil test back. The pH was 5.96 - a little low but not as bad as expected. Potassium level is good - I thought it would be low. N & P a little low but the chicken litter should help with that. Soil test recommends 1.75 tons of lime per acre. In communication with a guy for the litter & lime. Tractor back home - should wrap up spot spraying the coneflowers this weekend. Seeing more seed on the rye grass which is thick as fleas on a hound dog in both hay pastures. Another calf showed up last week - haven't got a close look yet - gray with a white blaze on its face. Fencing project is finished except for hanging gates - might do that this weekend as well. I'll try to get more of the brush hauled to the recently burned ditch, too. Been a busy March.

That's a lot of thick rye. What kind of hay does rye make? Does it retain any protein? What is your bull that you have a white face calf?

That's a lot of thick rye. What kind of hay does rye make? Does it retain any protein? What is your bull that you have a white face calf?
It
rye hay can vary quite a bit (6% - 22% crude protein & as much as 70% NDF)…it's very good forage. I've never tested mine but will bale it if the weather will warm up a bit - takes a while for it to cure after cutting.

The bull is a registered Brangus, mom is a white cow (apparently a good bit of charolais - with possible unknowns in the woodpile.)

Looks good. I'd be chomping at the bit to cut.

What type of grass is down under it?
Yup…when the weather warms up a bit more, I plan on baling it…my hay man and I are watching closely…underneath is coastal Bermuda…it will come on when rye goes dormant and nighttime lows are a fairly consistent 60+ degrees. Will apply chicken litter as soon as the rye is baled. With some decent sunshine and rain, we usually make 3 or even 4 bales (5x6) per acre on a good year…the last couple of years have not been good years…too dry. And yeah, I'm chomping at the bit…got burned on hay last year…baling the rye this year just in case we have another bad summer…

All systems at work were down today (including phones)…decided to use some accumulated leave. Finished up spraying the coneflowers and a few other early weeds in the rehab pasture. Took about 4-5 hours total. Cool front blew in right at the end - a little nippy on the old open cab tractor on the way home. About 75 degrees when I started so I just put on a t-shirt…should've checked the weather channel first…lol. On the upside, the 2,4D Amine is performing well. Only need to take the pump up hand sprayer to the spots that were too wet for the tractor. Lime & chicken litter will be applied to the rehab pasture within a week or so. Soil test showed pH of 5.96 - a little low but no cause for alarm. A little low on calcium and magnesium as well - the dolomite lime should help with that. Chicken litter will help with N & P. And the beat goes on…

Took the hand sprayer to the 14 acre hay field yesterday evening. Rye grass is so high and thick, it was hard to walk through - saw little bit of crimson clover over there, too. Being careful around what little clover there was, I sprayed a few thistles, a few pigweeds, and a few coneflowers along with some miscellaneous stuff. Had to make 2 trips to finish it off. It wasn't too far, so I walked. Ended up walking 2.5-3 miles but nailed down the spot spraying pretty good. Nothing left now but to take the hand sprayers to the rehab pasture and spray in the areas that were too muddy to drive the tractor through. Starting to see the first signs of johnson grass in some spots around the edges. Once the rye is baled and the fields start to recover, I can do the big Grazon P+D/Cryder spraying job. This spot spraying the early weeds is a bit of a pain but but seems to be paying off. The big project will be dependent on when the stuff starts coming up that I've been fighting the last couple of years (bitter weeds in grazing pastures & johnson grass and horse nettle in the hay fields). One wet pasture has a bit of hedge mustard - too big of an area to do by hand and too wet for the sprayer/tractor. Maybe it will dry out enough over the next few weeks to get at it...we'll see.

Latest posts