Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryegrass is starting to head here too. Might not be as far along as gman's.
Walked down there yesterday to talk to a guy doing some work for me...lots of the rye is making seeds...on another note: chicken litter being delivered today for the 31-acre "rehab" pasture...that was quick...you could go a month and a half before hearing anything from the other guy.

That is my experience as well. I convince myself that this condition is a good thing and means that I'm observant, and industrious:ROFLMAO: The place is like a painting that I have spent years perfecting, but everyday I walk past the easel I notice something that can be improved. I'm expecting this to continue until my death. Then I'll remember something and crawl from my casket to grease the squeeze or close a gate.
That reminds me...I need to grease the squeeze chute/head gate...thanks

This past fall, Scott drilled mostly wheat and rye, some barley and oats, on his row crop fields after each harvest. Those 200+ calves the vet and her husband have on those 400 acres have not put a dent in it. Belly high on those calves. and man, they are growing like crazy. You can tell where the peanuts and beans were vs the corn and cotton fields. Darker green. I guess due to the beans and peanuts being legumes. He broadcast oats and barley on the dove field, because he was out of the wheat and rye, but really put it on thick. Had to broadcast because of the terrain.. kind of rolling...and because there were millet and peanut rolls left on it, and the corn and sunflowers we had just sorta-kinda bush hogged down, so harder to run a drill.

Last week they pushed all 200 head onto the 100 acre field that Scott will plant in corn and shut the gates. It will have to be plowed under 1st of April, because he will plant corn mid-April. Last to be planted will be cotton,. which you do end of May. We will move them to the peanut and bean fields next, and they will be on the cotton field last. They gonna have to pick the calves up then 1st of May. Not gonna do a dove field this year...just gonna use those 50 or so acres for heifers, and let it basically go wild like the Kudzu place. We will pick up some quail and rabbit habitat like that. Dunno if the oats and barley were hybrids or not so dunno how much will come up volunteer each year. I was surprised at how Joe and Lisa's calves took off on this small -grain grazing. I don't think they ever even took a roll of hay or any feed or cubes or anything out there, Didn't need it. Scott did spread amonia nitrate when he drilled those fields, so I am sure that had a factor at how much it all has made.

Last edited:
I've watched them for years. Early in the morning, buzzards are still in roost or just barely on the ground walking about and just stretching their wings to dry in the sun.
Got me, man...I just know there was a calf that had been partially eaten and about 40-50 buzzards around it at about 10:00-10:30 am.

I've watched them for years. Early in the morning, buzzards are still in roost or just barely on the ground walking about and just stretching their wings to dry in the sun.
I can go out every evening just before dark and there are 30+ in the dead trees along the deep creek at back of our place. By 9:00 or so they are hunting in the morning

Got me, man...I just know there was a calf that had been partially eaten and about 40-50 buzzards around it at about 10:00-10:30 am.

I've seen them many many times, with their wings spread out early mornings. They have to, especially after a cool night . The can fly some without doing it, but cannot go high and soar. It's even got a name. 'Horaltic pose', and most large winged birds have to do it. Some believe it comes from the word Horus.

This posture, called the "horaltic pose," helps vultures thermoregulate and dry their feathers. Because it's important to dry off morning dew and thermoregulate after cooler nights, it's common to see vultures in a horaltic pose early in the mornings, performing their own brand of sun salutations.

(Horus was an Egyptian god, with the ability to fly, was god of the sky and weather, with one of his eyes being the sun and the other the moon and is often portrayed with small wings and the head of a falcon, other times with large wings, the same falcon head and wings outspread.) Horaltic pose, is also called a 'heraldic' pose meaning the coming or appearance of some entiy.
Ya probably don't want to know what happened to Osiris, the father of Horus..

In the early days of man's search to find a way to fly, some aircraft designers built airplanes with flapping wings, because that's all they saw of a bird's flight. (FAIL!!)

Others, like the Wright brothers, studied how birds flew (biomimicry) and realized that their wing and tail feathers were connected to muscles and the feathers along their wings, wing tips, and tails moved to control their flight and thus were born man's aviation things (control surfaces) like airfoils, horizontal and vertical stabilizers/rudder (most call that part a 'tail') , slats, ailerons, flaps, and winglets. Every advancement in man's atmospheric flight, nature perfected millions of years ago.

Birds don't have a vertical stabilizer (tail/fin) with the movable rudder on the back of it ..(the tall tail sticking up), because their horizontal equivalent is flexible and takes the place of both rudder and stabilizer, providing both yaw/roll (left and right) and pitch (up& down) axis.

airplane parts.jpg

We all know, (at least us older folks) that when we first get out of bed in the mornings, our muscles don't work till we get the blood flowing to our extremities. In birds, especially large birds with big wing spans, their wings are the extremities and they have to warm the feather's muscles and blood, stretch their wings out so blood flows better to the muscles before they take off in their long high searches. Sure, they can glide down from roost ok in the morning, but they have to get their own 'hydraulics' and control surfaces really warmed up before they do any real flying.

buzzard horaltic.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen them many many times, with their wings spread out early mornings. They have to, especially after a cool night . The can fly some without doing it, but cannot go high and soar. It's even got a name. 'Horaltic pose', and most large winged birds have to do it. Some believe it comes from the word Horus.

This posture, called the "horaltic pose," helps vultures thermoregulate and dry their feathers. Because it's important to dry off morning dew and thermoregulate after cooler nights, it's common to see vultures in a horaltic pose early in the mornings, performing their own brand of sun salutations.

(Horus was an Egyptian god, with the ability to fly, was god of the sky and weather, with one of his eyes being the sun and the other the moon and is often portrayed with small wings and the head of a falcon, other times with large wings, the same falcon head and wings outspread.) Horaltic pose, is also called a 'heraldic' pose meaning the coming or appearance of some entiy.

In the early days of man's search to find a way to fly, some aircraft designers built airplanes with flapping wings, because that's all they saw of a bird's flight. (FAIL!!)

Others, like the Wright brothers, studied how birds flew (biomimicry) and realized that their wing and tail feathers were connected to muscles and the feathers along their wings, wing tips, and tails moved to control their flight and thus were born man's aviation things (control surfaces) like airfoils, horizontal and vertical stabilizers/rudder (most call that part a 'tail') , slats, ailerons, flaps, and winglets. Every advancement in man's atmospheric flight, nature perfected millions of years ago.

Birds don't have a vertical stabilizer (tail/fin) with the movable rudder on the back of it ..(the tall tail sticking up), because their horizontal equivalent is flexible and takes the place of both rudder and stabilizer, providing both yaw/roll (left and right) and pitch (up& down) axis.

View attachment 42781

We all (at least us older folks) that when we first get out of bed in the mornings, our muscles don't work till we get the blood flowing to our extremities. In birds, especially large birds with big wing spans, their wings are the extremities and they have to warm the feather's muscles and blood, stretch their wings out so blood flows better to the muscles before they take off in their long high searches. Sure, they can glide down from roost ok in the morning, but they have to get their own 'hydraulics' and control surfaces really warmed up before they do any real flying.

View attachment 42778
Isn't Gods creation just amazing. It took man years to study it and probably haven't figured it all out.

View attachment 42781

We all (at least us older folks) that when we first get out of bed in the mornings, our muscles don't work till we get the blood flowing to our extremities. In birds, especially large birds with big wing spans, their wings are the extremities and they have to warm the feather's muscles and blood, stretch their wings out so blood flows better to the muscles before they take off in their long high searches. Sure, they can glide down from roost ok in the morning, but they have to get their own 'hydraulics' and control surfaces really warmed up before they do any real flying.

View attachment 42778

View attachment 42781

View attachment 42778
Funny you should mention the Wright Brothers…I once did a geotechnical job with a guy in North Carolina (big ol' East Texas country boy). I saw all the license plates that said, "First in Flight" and asked him, "If NC is famous for being first in flight, what's South Carolina famous for? Without a moments hesitation he said, "First plane crash." We laugh about that to this day.

Ryegrass is starting to head here too. Might not be as far along as gman's.
Crimson clover is in full bloom along all of the roadsides here. All of the rye I've seen around here is making seeds. Probably won't bale until the day time temps are consistently 80+ degrees. If we bale it now, we'll just have a bunch of round bales of mold. Probably looking at May according to weather underground's long range forecast.

Crimson clover is in full bloom along all of the roadsides here. All of the rye I've seen around here is making seeds. Probably won't bale until the day time temps are consistently 80+ degrees. If we bale it now, we'll just have a bunch of round bales of mold. Probably looking at May according to weather underground's long range forecast.
If its making seed now it will be straw by May

If its making seed now it will be straw by Ma
If its making seed now it will be straw by May
maybe the temps will be favorable in April…I don't really know how much I trust long range forecasts…just know the ones I've seen shows 80's in May…only time will tell…we'll play it by ear

Last edited:

Latest posts