East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Thunder

Reaction score
For some reason I come up empty handed when I google this. What is the soil ph? In the Tyler area or Nacogdoches/Lufkin. I understand it isn't consistent and can be different on the same property, but there should be a way to get a general idea of the ranges normally found.

Also, what are the stocking rates over there for cleared pasture?

Thanks! Just curious, doing general research. Hoping to buy the farm one of these days...

Generally pretty acidic, especially if lots of pines or oaks on the property. Grows beautiful azaleas and tomatoes

I'd guess the soil ph would be 5. Lime is expensive and I rarely hear of people liming cattle pasture anymore. Stocking rate will most likely be 1/5 year in and year out. You can buy on good years and sell some on bad but we're always only 30 days from a drought.

Ph of 5 is good info. I'd like to grow chestnuts, which like a ph of 6.5 or less. I understand some places are better than others.

Thanks to all. It helps. All info is good.

Y'all are great!

Click on the county in question, and a gateway will open up. There's a bit of a learning curve to using the options.

Push the green button that says StartWSS

By entering state, then County and clicking view, you will be presented with an interactive map that can zoom right in and then you will be presented with more options, depending on what information you are looking for.

nrcssoil.jpg

Last edited:
For some reason I come up empty handed when I google this. What is the soil ph? In the Tyler area or Nacogdoches/Lufkin. I understand it isn't consistent and can be different on the same property, but there should be a way to get a general idea of the ranges normally found.

Also, what are the stocking rates over there for cleared pasture?

Thanks! Just curious, doing general research. Hoping to buy the farm one of these days...
Usually in the 5-6 range most soil in my area calls for a ton of lime per acre. Lime I bought year before was 75 a ton spread.
It's the cheapest investment you can make in pasture and fertilizer reduction.

Click on the county in question, and a gateway will open up. There's a bit of a learning curve to using the options.

Push the green button that says StartWSS

By entering state, then County and clicking view, you will be presented with an interactive map that can zoom right in and then you will be presented with more options, depending on what information you are looking for.

View attachment 10202
This site also gives you an idea of productivity for the crop you intend to grow. Much different needs for different plants

Latest posts