Worthy of Consideration?

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here is a bull calf we kept this spring. Born March 15/08, BW of 87 lbs. He is purebred Shorthorn, although not registerable. Which is fine for us as we run commercial cattle. His dam is one of our best cows. What are your opinions of him? I know he isn't very old yet, but if he is terrible I don't want to waste a bunch of time on him, better to castrate him now, so he can be sold with the rest of the calves in the fall. I kinda like him, but am not 100% sure that he really is herdsire material. This is all I can do for pictures, as he is 2 hours away from here, and I had a hard enough time getting these 2. He had no interest in posing.

tn_DSC04496.jpg

tn_DSC04495.jpg

And, here is his full sister. She is our daughter's 4-H heifer this year.

tn_DSC04341.jpg

The picture and his age make it difficult for me to say he is herdsire material. I really don't see anything to fault him on and his sister looks like a very functional cow prospect. You know your cattle and something about this calf catches your eye so I say give him a shot. I have had marginal looking calves at this age turn out to be the best bulls in my keeper pen.

tlmcr":nrtoup1u said:
The picture and his age make it difficult for me to say he is herdsire material. I really don't see anything to fault him on and his sister looks like a very functional cow prospect. You know your cattle and something about this calf catches your eye so I say give him a shot. I have had marginal looking calves at this age turn out to be the best bulls in my keeper pen.
I am going to have to agree, his sister looks like she would make a very nice cow, also the calf looks nice and solid, I would keep him as a bull, but you know your cattle better than we do and know what he comes from so you decide. I would if I were you! :D

yes that calf is worth taking a chance on as a bull.he sure looks good in the pic.an you know what his momma can do.because your showing her heifer calf.

I hate to disagree, but I don't think this guy is doing it for me. Too me he looks fine boned and pinches a little in the fore flank. I also wonder how much muscle he'll have in his hindquarter based off his sister's picture. Although, cattle can change you don't have to tell me that, but you also have to ask yourself if he'll improve what you already have. I guess if he does that for you go for it, but I think there are many herds where that wouldn't be the case. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do with him.

If you think his mother and sister are what you want more of keep him.If his mother isn't one of your best cows give him a snip.

Just looking at the pics I don't see anything that yells out "herdsire". He is in an awkard age, and alot will still change, but at 100 days (if my calculations are right) I'd like to see them fuller and fatter.

Consider him. It is really no effort to keep him a bull until weaning and then look upon him again.
My doubts are in the heart girth, but time will tell if the bul will be pinched. And I can not say if muscle will be adequate, because I know nothing of your forage situation, I will merely point out that a calf at three months usually has as much milk that he wish to drink and get some rear end from that.
Good luck anyway.

Nope! No reason to keep and use a cat hammed bull, or cow for that matter.

We had high hopes for this guy when he was a month or so, now that's he's 2 and half months, not so much

Hard to say from a pic, but I'd say no. I have one like him I hope fills out later - grows into his potential - but his brothers are already filling out. Much can change I realize, but it seems calves go from "potential" to "nope" easier than the go from "nope" to "wow".

Thanks for all the comments. What I am hearing are basically the same things as I am thinking. I do like him, but am not sure he has what it takes to be a herd sire. I am i little concerned about the lack of muscling that I see, but wonder if he will improve as he ages more. So, I guess we will wait and see how he develops.

Like everyone else said, too early to tell. However, at this point, he looks like he will be very feminine, perhaps a good maternal bull. If you want to grow your cow herd with him, then maybe give him a chance. If you want to produce growthy market calves, then probably no.

All you have to do is fatten him up and most folks here will go crazy over him. :lol:

I'm not overwhelmed, but let him be for a while and see what he looks like. You will at least get some more growth by leaving him intact. Then use an emasculater if you want to avoid the blood and gore.