Wind Rain and Fly control minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have put out the wind Rain mineral with the fly control from tractor supply. The reception has been great, however I can't tell who is getting it and who is not. I put out about 3 to 4 pounds every morning before I go to work and when I come in fro work the trough is cleaned out. I have it near the water tubs so as to encourage them eating it. How much should they be getting? There are at the time only 8 grown cows in the pasture. They are still getting hay and grazing pasture. Can any one get to much too much of this mineral or when their system gets full do they back off of it, or do they just eat it until it's gone?

Tomcolvin said:
I have put out the wind Rain mineral with the fly control from tractor supply. The reception has been great, however I can't tell who is getting it and who is not. I put out about 3 to 4 pounds every morning before I go to work and when I come in fro work the trough is cleaned out. I have it near the water tubs so as to encourage them eating it. How much should they be getting? There are at the time only 8 grown cows in the pasture. They are still getting hay and grazing pasture. Can any one get to much too much of this mineral or when their system gets full do they back off of it, or do they just eat it until it's gone?

I would put the mineral a fair distance from their water source.

I have a herd that will eat 2 bags in a matter of hours and one herd that barely touches it..

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Tomcolvin said:

No more than he is putting out he could put it in the water and make about as much difference.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Dump the whole sack in a trough. You don't limit feed mineral.

Ok, then do I just get another bag and pour it in also? How many bags? Until they quit eating it?

Red Bull Breeder said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Tomcolvin said:

No more than he is putting out he could put it in the water and make about as much difference.

I personally would keep it full because it's easier. But unless I'm missing something he's giving them plenty. Never fed that particular mineral, but assuming it's a 4 oz per day recommended intake, he's putting out 3-4 pounds daily = 48-64 oz daily / 8 grown cows = 6-8 oz per head/per day. I think the main problem is that they haven't got full yet. Other problem could be that what looks like 3-4 pounds could only be 2 pounds. In which case they would be ingesting the standard rate of 4 oz/per head/per day. I would also recommend moving it farther away from the water source if you want to decrease intake. Closer to increase intake.

How much do you think one cow will consume that hasn't had mineral for a while. You can bet a couple of cows blew threw that pretty dang quick. They should average 4oz a day that doesn't mean one cow won't consume more on a given day and less another day. I bet the bag says free choice.

Thanks for salt inquiry. No I have not put out salt. I will get it out this weekend. Probably tomorrow if my store has it. Again, thanks.

JMJ Farms said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I personally would keep it full because it's easier. But unless I'm missing something he's giving them plenty. Never fed that particular mineral, but assuming it's a 4 oz per day recommended intake, he's putting out 3-4 pounds daily = 48-64 oz daily / 8 grown cows = 6-8 oz per head/per day. I think the main problem is that they haven't got full yet. Other problem could be that what looks like 3-4 pounds could only be 2 pounds. In which case they would be ingesting the standard rate of 4 oz/per head/per day. I would also recommend moving it farther away from the water source if you want to decrease intake. Closer to increase intake.
I was using a 5 pound coffee can at about 4/5 full which would equate to about 4 pounds. I will weigh it this eve for question sake, but I am filling up trough now instead of partialling it out😊

Tomcolvin said:
Thanks for salt inquiry. No I have not put out salt. I will get it out this weekend. Probably tomorrow if my store has it. Again, thanks.

I would read the tag before you put out salt. Some mineral does not require or advise salt to be fed separately. I have always found usage ebbs and flows depending on forage quality and type but will average closely to the quoted consumption rate. You have to keep it in front of them though and not let it run out.

Red Bull Breeder said:
How much do you think one cow will consume that hasn't had mineral for a while. You can bet a couple of cows blew threw that pretty dang quick. They should average 4oz a day that doesn't mean one cow won't consume more on a given day and less another day. I bet the bag says free choice.

I agree. That's why I figure that the problem is probably that they haven't gotten "caught up" yet. I personally feed it free choice. And I also relocate all the mineral feeders weekly. Keeps them from messing up my pastures.

J&D Cattle said:
Tomcolvin said:

I would read the tag before you put out salt. Some mineral does not require or advise salt to be fed separately. I have always found usage ebbs and flows depending on forage quality and type but will average closely to the quoted consumption rate. You have to keep it in front of them though and not let it run out.

This is what I have observed as well. IIRC, WnR does not recommend additional salt source along with WnR minerals. After they have had their fill, whether it takes three days or two weeks, they will back off. Then you can move your feeder closer or farther to water to fine tune the intake. They will still fluctuate on intake though through different times of the year as J&D mentioned. I dont worry about it anymore. All my feeders are within 50 yds of a water source and I keep it full. Cut cost someplace else.

Tomcolvin said:
JMJ Farms said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

I was using a 5 pound coffee can at about 4/5 full which would equate to about 4 pounds. I will weigh it this eve for question sake, but I am filling up trough now instead of partialling it out😊

If you fill a 5 pound coffee can with feathers, does it weigh 5 pounds? Not everything has the same weight based on VOLUME. a 5 gallon bucket filled with water is heavier than a 5 gallon bucket of feed.

They done JUST like I said. They ate like crazy for 3 -4 days and now a cup full will make a day.

The Purina wind and rain minerals have salt included in them. No need to put our salt with these minerals. I've used these minerals for years and never put out salt. Cows crave salt so if you have out salt, the cattle could bypass the minerals and only take in salt.

Latest posts