Will 10KV stop a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Neighbor let another neighbor put cows on his pasture adjoining ours. A big Brangus bull is in the mix. We do all AI and have a couple of cows that are open and will be AIing a few weeks. I just put a hot wire up about nose high to the big boy. Think 10KV will stop him?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

If he gets curious about the wire first, and gets to know it, you will probably be okay. If he becomes passionate about your open cows before he has a "taste" of the wire, you might have a problem. I am fortunate to not have any neighboring land owners that run cattle. However I do hear interesting stories from others who do, especially when a new herd, or new bull, is placed next door. Good fences make good neighbors. Most of the time. I might be inclined to entice that bull near the wire, just so I would know that he knows what it's all about. I would get with the neighbor, and make it a joint effort. Beneficial to all involved, including the stock

As Ouachita said, it might. One wire may not be enough fire-power. It all depends on the bull's determination.

Hopefully he will discover the wire before he discovers your open cows.

I also agree with Ouachita, get together with the neighbor about the fence while things are still calm, quiet and friendly.

Katherine

The absentee owners caretaker thought it was too much trouble to pen the bull up a few days ago when one of the cows was in heat. So the hot wire is in response to that. Hopefully, they will be pregnant soon and we won't have to worry about it.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl":94i3lykf said:
Neighbor let another neighbor put cows on his pasture adjoining ours. A big Brangus bull is in the mix. We do all AI and have a couple of cows that are open and will be AIing a few weeks. I just put a hot wire up about nose high to the big boy. Think 10KV will stop him?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I keep four or five apart all the time with 9000 volt's if it won't stop one and I have seen those it won't.
The only way to stop those is the salebarn.

Run a temporary hot wire 50 feet of so from the fance to keep your cows away from the fence. That way they are directly across from one another. Not a guaranteened stop but it will help too.

Dave":2s3kikyw said:
Run a temporary hot wire 50 feet of so from the fance to keep your cows away from the fence. That way they are directly across from one another. Not a guaranteened stop but it will help too.

Good advice. I have a small area where Brangus bulls are adjoining my pasture. I have hot wire half way up the fence, and along the top. I haven't had a problem yet, but all my cattle are bred (AI and by my bull). Next year I will have open heifers in that pasture, so I think I might employ the 50' rule.

Latest posts