wich cow really gives the milk

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i have been receiving a lot of info in the mail on cattle and every breed talks about how good that breed milks. what are the breeds of cows that are really pouring the milk for there calfs.

There was a study of lbs. of milk per lactation on average for the different breeds. I can't remember all of the breeds, but the three which stood out at the time were hereford, 3500lbs per lactation, angus 6000 lbs per lactation, simmental 9000 or 9500 lbs per lactation (can't remember exactly which one...sorry) Simmies were the highest beef breed. Just to compare, the average Holstein at the time was around 18,000 lbs.

Put Gelbvieh in the mix with the Simmenthals, both very similar

dun

> There was a study of lbs. of milk
> per lactation on average for the
> different breeds. I can't remember
> all of the breeds, but the three
> which stood out at the time were
> hereford, 3500lbs per lactation,
> angus 6000 lbs per lactation,
> simmental 9000 or 9500 lbs per
> lactation (can't remember exactly
> which one...sorry) Simmies were
> the highest beef breed. Just to
> compare, the average Holstein at
> the time was around 18,000 lbs.

> Put Gelbvieh in the mix with the
> Simmenthals, both very similar

> dun Also add South Devon & Braunvieh to the list. The American Brown Swiss dairy cattle originated from the Braunvieh in Switzerland, where Braunvieh are a dual purpose (meat and milk) breed.

Just a reminder to not try and maximize milk in your beef cows. You'll have udder and fertility problems and also have a herd of cows that eat more than they should.

It is better to "optimize" milk production to ensure better margins (more isn't always better).

Good point. Herefords are often criticized for lack of milk but most of them have adequate, not a lot but adequate. Unless we are going to use a bull with exceptional birth to weaning rates we keep the milk level at about breed average and no more then 10% over. Of course there are always exceptions. Our oldest cow milks like a Holstein, raises a top calf every year is as fertile as dirt, breeds back first servie and get's fat on fescue and water while the others loose condition during the summer. But she's definitely the exception.

dun

> Just a reminder to not try and
> maximize milk in your beef cows.
> You'll have udder and fertility
> problems and also have a herd of
> cows that eat more than they
> should.

> It is better to
> "optimize" milk
> production to ensure better
> margins (more isn't always
> better).

there are breeds that does not milk quantity but milk quality (% of fat) as an example Romagnola

> i have been receiving a lot of
> info in the mail on cattle and
> every breed talks about how good
> that breed milks. what are the
> breeds of cows that are really
> pouring the milk for there calfs.

[email protected]

Latest posts