Why Millenials Are Unhappy

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3dbe6gl2 said:
TV had contributed to this along with the computer age, life is supposed tb be fun and filled with entitlements, if something gets broken buy a new one on credit.

We had entertainment besides the 3 channels on TV. We went to basketball games. Football games. Baseball games. Rodeos. Sports had seasons.

I fished in ponds and streams. A lot. We played hide n seek, tap outta jail, red rover. We built tree houses and "forts". We worked our tails off but played hard too.

When a kid got a toy, we all watched. Pick up several Coke bottles and you could get a store bought kite. You took care of the kite and played with it next year.

I still have a Tonka truck I got for Christmas in '65. That thing rolled down a lot of hills. My nephews rode it across the floors.

I think it's really hard to pinpoint one cause over another for the downfall of society, however I think the real two big culprits are the "I'm so special" attitude coupled with the social media "Look at me, look at me" culture. It seems as if the millennial generation just wants to be famous, for what they don't care, but they don't want to work for it.

I blame technology for making people lazy, but that's not the only culprit. Cooking is a great example. There's no classes in school anymore, plus you don't have to b/c there's a restaurant on every corner (and in some cases right next door to each other). I have IBS issues so I can't eat out that often. I have to say that cooking, and planning, can be a pain, but it tastes so much better, is more rewarding and costs a whole lot less.

I loved the point about the throw-away culture we live in. I bought my son some CAT construction toys. They're all plastic with stickers on them. He won't have anything to pass on to his kids when, and if, he decides to have any.

It's a sad state of society that we live in. People have so much available to them, and they waste it on God-knows-what. But you can't save people from themselves.

Bestoutwest":333sqvr8 said:
I think it's really hard to pinpoint one cause over another for the downfall of society, however I think the real two big culprits are the "I'm so special" attitude coupled with the social media "Look at me, look at me" culture. It seems as if the millennial generation just wants to be famous, for what they don't care, but they don't want to work for it.

I blame technology for making people lazy, but that's not the only culprit. Cooking is a great example. There's no classes in school anymore, plus you don't have to b/c there's a restaurant on every corner (and in some cases right next door to each other). I have IBS issues so I can't eat out that often. I have to say that cooking, and planning, can be a pain, but it tastes so much better, is more rewarding and costs a whole lot less.

I loved the point about the throw-away culture we live in. I bought my son some CAT construction toys. They're all plastic with stickers on them. He won't have anything to pass on to his kids when, and if, he decides to have any.

It's a sad state of society that we live in. People have so much available to them, and they waste it on God-knows-what. But you can't save people from themselves.

I agree.
Einstein predicted the downfall due to the lack of personal communication, I don't remember the exact quote sure it can be Googled.

Bestoutwest":35qoizen said:

You can still buy metal toys do a search on yahoo, google there are a lot of toys out there but the cost is higher than the plastic ones.

I will venture to say that there are a lot of children that are the millennials out there that do not fit the mold the rest of you are posting about. Just get out there and look around and talk and associate with them and you will find them.

I can't say that I think society today is perfect but I am not sure we are any worse off than previous generations or closer to its downfall. Go back a hundred years you don't think World War I, the Great Depression, World War II, Civil Rights Movement, Anti-Vietnam Protest, shooting on college campuses, assassinations of politicians, didn't seem like society was in trouble. Sorry just not going to convince me that a lazy generation with high expectation, that to lead to frustration is as doom and gloom as some feel.

poorfarmer":1y9sqphv said:
I can't say that I think society today is perfect but I am not sure we are any worse off than previous generations or closer to its downfall. Go back a hundred years you don't think World War I, the Great Depression, World War II, Civil Rights Movement, Anti-Vietnam Protest, shooting on college campuses, assassinations of politicians, didn't seem like society was in trouble. Sorry just not going to convince me that a lazy generation with high expectation, that to lead to frustration is as doom and gloom as some feel.

While I agree that it at many times through history the situations have looked very dire, I think that there is a difference at present. It seems to me that with each generation, there is an increase in dependence rather than a personal independent and entrepreneurial spirit that has been a driving force. I am sure there is still a will and innovative minds out there, just that those who accept the status quo are seemingly growing.

Dogs and Cows":1p4j2crc said:
Very good article. I agree with hurley, I think there are a lot of good "kids" out there that are working hard to make their lives fulfilling and worth living. I know quite a few, however, I also know some of the GYPSIES, but I hate to paint with such a broad brush.

Tim

You're completely correct in saying that the entire generation is not completely lost. I hope that I'm part of that group handling life well, and I feel like I am. It's like saying all people that live in the country are hicks, when in fact there's a ton of people that just hate living in a tightly packed society. The point of the article, as I read it, though is an explanation why that my generation is having such a hard time coping. We're told from day one that we're special, an oyster with a black pearl. We grow up thinking that, and also that if you go to college you'll do great. Most of my generation is in debt up to their eyes, and it's not entirely their fault, but it's also not entirely the fault of society as well. I just thought it was a pretty spot on representation of why my generation is having such a hard time coping with adulthood.

Ky hills":yxuflerc said:
While I agree that it at many times through history the situations have looked very dire, I think that there is a difference at present. It seems to me that with each generation, there is an increase in dependence rather than a personal independent and entrepreneurial spirit that has been a driving force. I am sure there is still a will and innovative minds out there, just that those who accept the status quo are seemingly growing.

I'm not trying to make excuses here, but it's a heck of a lot harder to start a business today than it was 50 years ago. There are a ton of giant big box stores that control the market (Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, etc), and we're losing the local mom-and-pop's left and right. The new frontier is tech, but that takes a ton of cash to start up. People will perceiver, they always do, but it's going to be in different ways. It will be interesting to see how the world adapts.

Bestoutwest":1yiaz0dv said:
Ky hills":1yiaz0dv said:

I'm not trying to make excuses here, but it's a heck of a lot harder to start a business today than it was 50 years ago. There are a ton of giant big box stores that control the market (Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, etc), and we're losing the local mom-and-pop's left and right. The new frontier is tech, but that takes a ton of cash to start up. People will perceiver, they always do, but it's going to be in different ways. It will be interesting to see how the world adapts.

I agree with your statement about it being harder to start a business, I found that out the hard way. When I was younger I bought a local paint store. It was a losing venture, couldn't compete. I tried to keep the glass cutting part of the business going from a shop at home, but between farm work and health conditions, wasn't able to continue for long.

Latest posts