Why Millenials Are Unhappy

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest":20is269v said:
If you're frustrated with the current state of Gen Y, read this. Being a part of this group, I found it to be pretty spot on.
http://tribune.com.pk/story/980051/why- ... unhappy-2/
Nothing about job or education suggest happiness you grow up and do what is best for your family or you whine like most do today.
I refer to them as the handouts that when mom and dad dies they will be digging them up to ask for more money.

Happiness is something that is hard to describe, I prefer satisfaction with your life as the barometer to measure how you feel about your life.

As a Millenial, I'd say that is a very simplistic way of looking at it. Can't paint the whole generation with one brush. Basically describes the 'slackers', which exist in any generation. There were slackers around in the Baby Boomers and in the 'Greatest Generation', although maybe not in substantial numbers. There were definitely a few in my family.

I've posted this before:
"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."
-Socrates (Died in 399BC).
Not a new problem, perhaps more severe, but not new.

Great read. Justvforwarded to my oldest boys. Thanks for posting.

PS- I saw the unicorns and rainbows, but this time, someone else forgot the kittens!!!!!

There's a lot of pride in earning things. We were not a throw away society. We turned broken pieces into something new. We even traded for broken parts that we could fix.

It was a hard road going to college at night, working full time, raising a family. I had to pay my way too.

As far as "slackers in the family", there were none. I think of my grandparents and their siblings. Not one slacker. I think of my parents and all their siblings. Not one slacker. When it comes to my own siblings I have to say my baby brother had it soft. But even he eventually got it together.

Happiness is choice. Success is a lot of hard work. They don't hand out Olympic gold medals to all participants - yet.

It's called Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Too many kids born to parents with substance abuse issues. Uncontrollable rage, limited cognitive development, etc.

backhoeboogie":2velmfng said:
There's a lot of pride in earning things. We were not a throw away society. We turned broken pieces into something new. We even traded for broken parts that we could fix.

It was a hard road going to college at night, working full time, raising a family. I had to pay my way too.

As far as "slackers in the family", there were none. I think of my grandparents and their siblings. Not one slacker. I think of my parents and all their siblings. Not one slacker. When it comes to my own siblings I have to say my baby brother had it soft. But even he eventually got it together.

Happiness is choice. Success is a lot of hard work. They don't hand out Olympic gold medals to all participants - yet.

Shows how stupid I am thought work was fun. I got loaned out to who ever needed a strong back and weak mind in the family. If they were slackers I never saw it either boogie.
Kinda hard as kid to get in much trouble toting a Homelite chainsaw hauling pulpwood for your uncle,
doing grandmas garden behind a mule or push plow. I still have that push plow.
I hated culling the shrimp box for dad.

The tarring with the same brush isn;t accurate. Just because they fall into a time frame doesn;t make them millenials. It's a mind set more then an age.

js1234":3e9uey7n said:
I've posted this before:
"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."
I don't even think you are necessarily describing a problem, just the generation gap that happens throughout history, honestly it is just society changing over time. Of course people are going to think the way they were raised is the best way and even the kids today(who we think have it so easy) are going to look at their kids and grumble about they way they act, and how it was harder when they were growing up.

Blame it on Sesame Street. They are all trying to look like the muppet characters in that show. Green hair etc.

Interesting, thanks for posting.
My wife went on a mission trip 4 years ago to Africa (Tanzania). It totally screwed her up. She came back and asked what the point was to all this crap we are doing, running around, buying junk, keeping up with the Jones'.

Her group was over there handing out trinkets and trying to teach lessons to these people living in extreme poverty, YET, those people were all happy, running around with smiles on their faces. Walking miles to go to school, most living with dirt floors. Even our poorest have smart phones, food and lodging, but a huge percentage of our population is on antidepressants (or self medicating) and largely unhappy.

We are very much a repeat of Ancient Rome, including their downfalls.

Kell-inKY":3q26fwke said:
Her group was over there handing out trinkets and trying to teach lessons to these people living in extreme poverty, YET, those people were all happy, running around with smiles on their faces. Walking miles to go to school, most living with dirt floors. Even our poorest have smart phones, food and lodging, but a huge percentage of our population is on antidepressants (or self medicating) and largely unhappy.

Good point. I mentioned this in another thread where some of my fondest memories was when I was dirt poor. During that period I had much less responsibility and there were less distractions that kept me from enjoying life in general.

poorfarmer":1kotupx1 said:
js1234":1kotupx1 said:
I've posted this before:
I don't even think you are necessarily describing a problem, just the generation gap that happens throughout history, honestly it is just society changing over time. Of course people are going to think the way they were raised is the best way and even the kids today(who we think have it so easy) are going to look at their kids and grumble about they way they act, and how it was harder when they were growing up.

Where I see the biggest gap is in a lack of work ethic. TV had contributed to this along with the computer age, life is supposed tb be fun and filled with entitlements, if something gets broken buy a new one on credit.

Kell-inKY":x11p4tu8 said:
Interesting, thanks for posting.
My wife went on a mission trip 4 years ago to Africa (Tanzania). It totally screwed her up. She came back and asked what the point was to all this crap we are doing, running around, buying junk, keeping up with the Jones'.

We are very much a repeat of Ancient Rome, including their downfalls.

Good points. Our church has a local mission presence in east KY. The region is widely known for two things, beautiful mountain scenery, and generational poverty. I don't want to paint with a broad stroke, but while there are some well to do families, there are a lot of struggling folks. The reasons are at this point in time many, and I won't get too far into that. There does seem to be a sense of hopelessness and bitterness in some. We are there to try and do what we can to try and break the cycle, we try to show that there is another way of life. Taking responsibility for ones own actions and working for a better future is a start, that we are trying to encourage. These are good folks, in which some live lives that are heartbreaking.

Latest posts