White Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

stockman12":li65e83b said:
Ya know with all this color talk the next thing we are apt to see is someone breeding cattle for strictly beef production, Where will it end.....

Yep maybe it will be that new strain of Galloway they are developing down in Florida.

If everything goes well they should have bred all the hair off of them and turned them solid black in about 5 years. Then they can form a marketing group for their breed assn and convince the whole country that all other beef is just crap and with a little luck maybe take over the cattle world entirely.

I think the idea has possibilities especially since the cattle will be so easy to find standing in the swamps all day. Of course the young will have to be born with gills so that they can nurse underwater for the first 6 months. Or maybe develop them with the ability to breath thru their butts while nursing.

Just a thought , probably never happen.

The biggest problem I see with white angus (maybe it isn't a problem at all according to some) is that once the genepool is established unscrupulous breeders can too easily slip a little Chianina (the original white ones if you can still find them) in to add frame in the next frame race, or charolais to reduce the amount of funnell butts whilst adding the neccesary extra BW to feed out efficiently.

alftn":9lgmnfvn said:
Here I go again, I think the White angus thing is really close to being a reality!!!!!!!!!

It is called MURRY GRAYS....Is it not a composite breed base mainly on Angus with a bit of Shorthorn throw in????

Truth be told you're probably not that far off. :shock:

Could be CMGB is just over the horizon. Well that should be the end of a real good breed.

alftn":3gtzy014 said:
Here I go again, I think the White angus thing is really close to being a reality!!!!!!!!!

It is called MURRY GRAYS....Is it not a composite breed base mainly on Angus with a bit of Shorthorn throw in????

I think you'll find there is just as much shortie as there is angus in the breed. By no means was it 'mainly angus'.

"The Murray Grey breed was developed from an initial chance mating of a black Aberdeen Angus bull and a roan Shorthorn cow in 1905. The resulting thirteen dun-grey calves from these matings were kept as curiosities and then bred on the Thologolong property along the Murray River in New South Wales by Peter and Ena Sutherland"

As a lifelong angus breeder I have been long pondering how to overcome the competition from all the new black breeds that have evolved in the last couple of decades.

Is there any breed today that does not have a black variant? Well I have not seen a black, red poll yet but there may well be some.
black charolais
black chianina
black hereford
black simmental
black gelbveigh
the list is a a long one

Where do you suggest we go for the white gene to create this new breed?
Personally I don't want to go the albino route as to many associated problems. but as a breed purist it must be considered as the preferred route.
the good news is that if a white animal can be found to begin the breed conversion, by todays standards the first cross can be considered by all to be purebred and all alleged progress can continue unabated.

Only thing I can think of is back to the original long horn. Lots of color varitation there and we can establish technicolor angus. Just for grins what say we select for the horns too. No sense limiting ourselves to one improvement.

pdfangus":kli9hpx9 said:
As a lifelong angus breeder I have been long pondering how to overcome the competition from all the new black breeds that have evolved in the last couple of decades.

Is there any breed today that does not have a black variant? Well I have not seen a black, red poll yet but there may well be some.
black charolais
black chianina
black hereford
black simmental
black gelbveigh
the list is a a long one

Personally I don't want to go the albino route as to many associated problems. but as a breed purist it must be considered as the preferred route.
the good news is that if a white animal can be found to begin the breed conversion, by todays standards the first cross can be considered by all to be purebred and all alleged progress can continue unabated.

Only thing I can think of is back to the original long horn. Lots of color varitation there and we can establish technicolor angus. Just for grins what say we select for the horns too. No sense limiting ourselves to one improvement.

I was thinking we could just rename British Whites and have an already established gene pool, this should open the new beef branded market of Certified TAB (Tricolered Angus Beef) this would also be a boost for the longhorn assoc as they would no longer take the hit at the salebarn for wild colors.
Since beef quality is not an issue any longer and color is the main genetic trait we are all trying to achieve just think of the demand for White Angus bulls. This would enable the breed to be spun off into another association to collect fees known as KAT (Kaleidoscope Angus Beef).

Yes aussie cowgirl , I know alittle of the history of murry grays, and have since the late 70's.....

I believe that the man that breed them ,was a Black Angus breeded for beef cows, and the shorthorn were milk cows keep around for the milk...I bet they have a larger % of angus than shorthorn , also ''think"" not know, they are geneticly a much larger % angus than shorties..

Also as a true lover of the Shorthorn breed , and wish that they were more excepted by the sale barn gangs, they are what I would raise...Shorthorn are fairly rare in my neck of the woods, In fact I do not know of any around me...I thought about getting some from out west, just to much trouble....

I had a 7/8 angus X 1/8 char that was the prettiest Silver you ever saw, by most open herdbooks of other breeds , he would have been a Angus...He sure looked like MG's...color

pdfangus":5xaa1js4 said:

black charolais
black chianina
black hereford
black simmental
black gelbveigh
the list is a a long one

No black Red Polls that I know of.

Your list needs to include:
Black Maine Anjou
Black Salers
Black Limousin

TexasBred":zl4eynub said:
backhoeboogie":zl4eynub said:
They're also going to provide a huge safety margin. Think of that dark night driving situation where you encountered 100 on the road and didn't see them until they were right there in front of you. These will be much easier to spot on the roadway at night.

AND if you're running behind schedule you can get a pretty good count on them long after dark while driving thru the pasture having a cold one. If a red angus bull bred a white angus cow would you get a white baldie?? white body with a red face??? AND would that still be a white angus are would you have "another breed" to compete with the red/black/white angus??

TB....if you cross a white and red angus you would get a pink angus. They would sell good over Frisco way. The only problem is that all of the bulls would fail a BSE.

HOSS":1cl01vlk said:
TexasBred":1cl01vlk said:
backhoeboogie":1cl01vlk said:
They're also going to provide a huge safety margin. Think of that dark night driving situation where you encountered 100 on the road and didn't see them until they were right there in front of you. These will be much easier to spot on the roadway at night.

AND if you're running behind schedule you can get a pretty good count on them long after dark while driving thru the pasture having a cold one. If a red angus bull bred a white angus cow would you get a white baldie?? white body with a red face??? AND would that still be a white angus are would you have "another breed" to compete with the red/black/white angus??

TB....if you cross a white and red angus you would get a pink angus. They would sell good over Frisco way. The only problem is that all of the bulls would fail a BSE.

Yes but if you dye their hair orange, bright green, red and spike it, plus pierce their nose with a nose ring, eye lids, ears, tongue - you'd be appealing to a whole new generation.

alftn":lxnn9x4a said:
Yes aussie cowgirl , I know alittle of the history of murry grays, and have since the late 70's.....

I believe that the man that breed them ,was a Black Angus breeded for beef cows, and the shorthorn were milk cows keep around for the milk...I bet they have a larger % of angus than shorthorn , also ''think"" not know, they are geneticly a much larger % angus than shorties..

Also as a true lover of the Shorthorn breed , and wish that they were more excepted by the sale barn gangs, they are what I would raise...Shorthorn are fairly rare in my neck of the woods, In fact I do not know of any around me...I thought about getting some from out west, just to much trouble....

I had a 7/8 angus X 1/8 char that was the prettiest Silver you ever saw, by most open herdbooks of other breeds , he would have been a Angus...He sure looked like MG's...color

I just didn't like your wording. And your lucky Keren didn't see it :lol2: As far as I know the breed stayed within the 6-7 calves produced by that one cow that threw the strange colour. So I think that if they have more angus genes it wasn't from infusing more, it was from selection. But no offence but I think that at least here in Australia, I'd rather an MG. They offer me more of what I want than a PB angus. But that's only IMO.

Nothing like a slicked up MG though. I know you guys don't like show rings but they look like solid silver.

backhoeboogie":35lk8gvt said:
Yes but if you dye their hair orange, bright green, red and spike it, plus pierce their nose with a nose ring, eye lids, ears, tongue - you'd be appealing to a whole new generation.

We went to a seminar several years ago. The main speaker held up a restaurant magazine. The cover was a young woman with multicolored, spiked hair, several ear rings and other rings in/on her face. He said "this is your customer." And he's right. Make fun of them all you want, but they're the people who will or won't be buying your product.

Frankie":3unotqi7 said:
backhoeboogie":3unotqi7 said:

We went to a seminar several years ago. The main speaker held up a restaurant magazine. The cover was a young woman with multicolored, spiked hair, several ear rings and other rings in/on her face. He said "this is your customer." And he's right. Make fun of them all you want, but they're the people who will or won't be buying your product.

Yes indeed. Pull up in their pick-up with the windows rattling from base blaring from that "music" to get a bale of hay. He's got on plaid underwear and she got a pink thong string and a "bend me over" tatoo across her back. The cows are three pastures over with their heads up and a WTH look. Neither one of their faces looked like they had fallen in a tackle box tho.

This thread has digressed to the point of reminding me of an old story. If you have already heard it I apologize in advance. @

I was flying back to DIA from a convention in Las Vegas. While waiting to board my eyes kept getting drawn to a tattooed young man with those big baggy pants with big pockets all over them. He had a small carriage bolt in nose with a chain running over to more hardware in right ear. He had some sort of fancy bangs tag in the other ear with wire embedded through his lip and tongue.

I must have been staring, because lets face it; you just don't see that everyday in Wyoming. The boy snarled at me and said; "what are you looking at OLD MAN." That startled me out of my daze. I broke eye contact for a second and looked down at painted toenails in his flip flops then back to his face. I couldn't think of a comeback so I just shrugged it off and replied "nothing" and tried to go on about my business. I couldn't help it and I soon found myself staring back again, His hair stood up 6 or 8 inches in 3 bright green, orange, and red spikes. He noticed me staring and said "Tell me this OLD MAN, didn't you ever do anything stupid when you were young?

Yea I did. When I was about your age I got drunk with my friends and on a bet, I had sex with a Peacock.

I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE MY SON!

Latest posts