White Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Due to a double dog dare which I can not ignore due to violating the double dog dare code here we go.

If we turn Angus white to make the breed more stock tank resistant for our milder southern summers.
This would increase growth on the calfs as they would no longer have to nurse underwater April through Sept.
Think of the joy we would actually be able to see the herd during daylight hours in the summer grazing.
Disadvantage you would actually have to look for your cattle versus driving to the nearest stock tank.

What do yall think?

I wondered when someone would bring them up. I couldn;t think of the benefit in them that you did. Obviously you've given this a lot of serious thought!

Dun we don't have to worry about not being able to see them in a snow storm down here - cept for last week.

If we could slick them up and maybe add a little hump (just a little one) we could improve the look of the breed.
We should be able to accomplish this feat in just two breeding seasons max due to the genetics used in breeding cattle today.

I would think they would be more expensive to keep as you would be pouring/spraying more becuz the flies would be much easier to see.

They're also going to provide a huge safety margin. Think of that dark night driving situation where you encountered 100 on the road and didn't see them until they were right there in front of you. These will be much easier to spot on the roadway at night.

White Angus? Why not? Got red ones already. You'll have to register them in your own Assn, of course, 'cause the American Angus Assn only registers the black ones. But if you thank the name "Angus" is that powerful, go for it. :D

backhoeboogie":290antyr said:
They're also going to provide a huge safety margin. Think of that dark night driving situation where you encountered 100 on the road and didn't see them until they were right there in front of you. These will be much easier to spot on the roadway at night.

AND if you're running behind schedule you can get a pretty good count on them long after dark while driving thru the pasture having a cold one. If a red angus bull bred a white angus cow would you get a white baldie?? white body with a red face??? AND would that still be a white angus are would you have "another breed" to compete with the red/black/white angus??

Frankie":1nwdrw7b said:
You'll have to register them in your own Assn, of course, 'cause the American Angus Assn only registers the black ones.

The old paper bags with the eye holes are probably abundant down there in New Orleans now. Do you reckon we could get in the front door if we put them on?

TexasBred":1dk3x5mn said:
If a red angus bull bred a white angus cow would you get a white baldie?? white body with a red face??? AND would that still be a white angus are would you have "another breed" to compete with the red/black/white angus??

TB, It is plain to see you are fast recognizing all the new possibilities this creates.

backhoeboogie":36sk5lfm said:
TexasBred":36sk5lfm said:
If a red angus bull bred a white angus cow would you get a white baldie?? white body with a red face??? AND would that still be a white angus are would you have "another breed" to compete with the red/black/white angus??

TB, It is plain to see you are fast recognizing all the new possibilities this creates.

Boogie...I"m sort of like you....second generation of pure bloods and we'd add a little ear to those rascals. Now what do you think about a 3/8 Brimmer, 5/8 White Angus Baldie......??? Bet CB would be interested as well. Guess I need to call Aggieland...if they can make a maroon blue bonnet they surely can make a white angus.

Oh man white Brangus never crossed my mind I am in!!! That would be pretty mixed in with my Brangus.
Look kinda of like Checker board squares moving across the pasture.
Now if I put old Sampson(Hereford) on them should get a load of Super RED and BLACK Baldies.

Here I go again, I think the White angus thing is really close to being a reality!!!!!!!!!

It is called MURRY GRAYS....Is it not a composite breed base mainly on Angus with a bit of Shorthorn throw in????

Ya know with all this color talk the next thing we are apt to see is someone breeding cattle for strictly beef production, Where will it end.....

I would like to have a herd of them pretty gray cattle, cross them to a Black Hereford, make a great F-1...

Take the MG X Black hereford F-1 and then cross them with a MG X gelbvieh F-1 bulls..

You would have a 50% MG, 25% hereford, 25% gelvieh, with good selection would be some good cattle... Another great possibility brought to you by off the wall thinking....

I can not come up with a way to breed them White Angus, I got a blonde 3/4 angus , 1/4 char...she had a Silver bull calf that was 7/8 angus . 1/8 char...but to get to white??? I think we could use some gene splicing , char color gene and remove the Black....In fact I think we will be able to do that in another 20 years, cost effect that is....

Breeding cattle= take a hereford mama breed her to a chianini then to a Maine then a angus, then to a gelbveih then a Simmental, then shorthorn, then come back with a black herefor and then a red angus and finish it off with a beefmaster. Then you have the perfect breed.

It's just like balancing a ration a scoop of this and a scoop of that with another scoop of this and then a flake of this and a flake of that.

Who said ranchin wasn't easy

stockman12":20fpkx48 said:
Ya know with all this color talk the next thing we are apt to see is someone breeding cattle for strictly beef production, Where will it end.....
What would we argue about?

Y'all forgot to spot 'em up, give em tiger stripes and rat tails. That way nothing would be left for the buyers to dream up discounts for.
stockman12":20fpkx48 said:
Breeding cattle= take a hereford mama breed her to a chianini then to a Maine then a angus, then to a gelbveih then a Simmental, then shorthorn, then come back with a black herefor and then a red angus and finish it off with a beefmaster. Then you have the perfect breed.

It's just like balancing a ration a scoop of this and a scoop of that with another scoop of this and then a flake of this and a flake of that.

Who said ranchin wasn't easy

Sounds like a lot of the herds around here :roll: Good news is, you could still register that cross as a Chi!

stockman12":1evlnyjo said:

Why would want to put logic and cow sense in the industry has been chasing hair for the last twenty years .