white angus herd for sale...link

Help Support CattleToday:

I have read about that herd before. Seems like they are only 3/4. May have some brahma in them to.

"What is an Ona White Angus?".
It is a beef cattle breed that is ¾
Black Angus with a white hair
coat color and dark skin. The
remaining ¼ is a combination of
Black Angus, Charolais, Brahman,
and/or Simmental. They originated
by accident here at the Center
after several decades of breeding
projects which Dr. F.M. Peacock
began in the 1970's. The cattle
have been found to be more heat
tolerant than their black counterparts
due to their white coat and
a greater ability to sweat.
The entire herd will be sold to

supposing you could be the seedstock for that entire breed..crossbreed whatever....think where ya could go with that.
i imagine its gonna go for a good bit..whatyya think?

The
herd consists of 49 bred cows,
5 open cows, 10 2 year olds, 14
yearling heifers, 3 yearling bulls,
and 5 mature bulls.

350k? 400?

Interesting. What would they bring to the table that can't already be found in other composites or breeds? Or more specifically, what do they bring to the table that would convince someone to pay more than "standard" prices? I'm sure there's been more than enough research to justify the center continuing the program for so many years, but as an outsider looking in I wonder how they compare to a regular angus/char cross, or even Murray Grey(based mostly on color, which is what the article focuses on as the major advantage).
The bull and calves look okay, but to be honest the cow pictured isn't my cup of tea.

dieselbeef":3a6np1ef said:
The
herd consists of 49 bred cows,
5 open cows, 10 2 year olds, 14
yearling heifers, 3 yearling bulls,
and 5 mature bulls.

350k? 400?

Just applying a little rough math:

49 bred cows @ $2,500 / ea = $122,500
5 open cows @ $1,500 / ea = $7,500
10 (bred ?) 2yr olds @ $3,000 / ea = $30,000
14 yearling heifers @ $2,000 / ea = $28,000
3 yearling bulls @ $4,000 / ea = $12,000
5 mature bulls @ $8,000 / ea = $40,000

total = $240,000

While you might disagree w/ my rough estimates for any of the classes above, it's pretty easy to see how this is a $200,000 buy (minimum) ... and as M-5 indicates, someone with deep pockets is probably willing to spend a multiple of that in order to stake their claim out to some proprietary turf.

M.Magis":33lj8xjy said:
Interesting. What would they bring to the table that can't already be found in other composites or breeds? Or more specifically, what do they bring to the table that would convince someone to pay more than "standard" prices? I'm sure there's been more than enough research to justify the center continuing the program for so many years, but as an outsider looking in I wonder how they compare to a regular angus/char cross, or even Murray Grey(based mostly on color, which is what the article focuses on as the major advantage).
The bull and calves look okay, but to be honest the cow pictured isn't my cup of tea.
Less ear and leather. But they didn't looks like they had Brahman in them. To me, they're just Angus x char cross.

Yep.
Have some here that would match 'em. 15/16 or greater Angus breeding... white with black skin... but they have a yellow & white Simmental bull and a little yellow line-back CharolaisXHereford cow behind 'em 6 or 7 generations back.

Latest posts