whip-o-will

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms":gwwv223x said:
Guess that's why a lot of us call Night Hawks "Ding Bats".

When I able to speak again, that isn;t what I call them

dun

Yeah, and when you flush them in the woods they fly without a sound! I, too, have seen them in the evening sitting on the side of the road. They have huge mouths for eating mosquitoes and other night flying insects.

:?: My brain may be in total shutdown, but isn't there another night bird that sings similar to this but a different melody. I can't for the life of me remember its name. :?:

We must be on the very North of the Whippoorwill range. I've heard them only a couple times. But while traveling farther South I remember hearing them plenty.

Our nigh time sounds are Owls, Loons, and Coyotes.

mnmtranching":1rbbpkvc said:
We must be on the very North of the Whippoorwill range. I've heard them only a couple times. But while traveling farther South I remember hearing them plenty.

Our nigh time sounds are Owls, Loons, and Coyotes.

Loons. Now that is a scary sound for a kid who has been told at the campfire that there is a crazed trapper in the woods! Happened to me in scouts. Scared me to death.

Jogeephus":1vz3hteg said:
:?: My brain may be in total shutdown, but isn't there another night bird that sings similar to this but a different melody. I can't for the life of me remember its name. :?:

we have a nightingale that has a nice trill. but haven't herd one for a while.

Jogeephus":z5fblyxd said:

It's a Chuck-wills-widow. Both members of them are called goatsuckers. We could never go barefoot until Mother heard the Whipper will.

This may be a bit odd.... but when out in the woods fixing fence or something, I am always amazed at the sound when the partridges (i think thats what they are) take off.... like someone trying to start an old JD over the hill in the next valley....

Michele

The sound of a loon calling on a lake in the middle of nowhere Alaska when you are entirely alone. Now there is a sound that will put a chill up your spine.

I hope I'm not getting off the subject too much but have you ever taken a cam/tape recorder in the woods and let it tape then play it later? If you haven't, you should try it and listen to all the sounds we don't hear. It will give you a new meaning of "stopping to smell the roses". (Sorry I got off the subject)

One spring morning a couple of years ago I was walking down to the field that lays between the creek and the river. It was just breaking dawn. I started counting all the different birds that I could hear but didn't see. I can't remember them all now but the total was shocking at the time. It is amazing how much is going on out there if you take time to listen to it.

I like listening to the Dawn Chorus, there are not so many Bird's here in Town, and none of the other animals I used to wake upto when I lived in the Country area.

The old folks tell me that if you are standing when you hear the first Whip-o-will of the year that you will have good health that year.

Latest posts