Which truck to buy based on these needs and travel.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello all,
Long time reader and finally have a question I'd like some of your all's advice on. Always had property close by but have recently gotten a new situation that will be new to me that some of you might be familiar with.
We'll have a 64 mile round trip location I'll be making the trip 2-3 times a week to check cows. I've got hired local help up there but I'll be up there 2-3 times a week for the foreseeable future. I'll need a truck that gets good MPG, 4x4, flat bed for feeder and possibly a bale spike. Not ruling out using one of those tow behind bale dollies either so I thought about a small truck like a tacoma.

Should I get another diesel or would you go with a midsize truck due to the distance and MPG associated. Budget is 20k. Kicked around the idea of getting an older powerstroke 7.3 or 6.0 that has been modified correctly or the smaller toyota. I've got a newer nicer 3/4 powerstroke that is my daily so I'll have tow capability when needed. My needs for this scenario are getting up there on good mpg, reliability (duh) and practicality. I will need to have a flatbed on it regardless and have option to pull out round hay bales from time to time. I have a love for diesels but the yota makes a case too. I'm not afraid to pay the money to make a diesel more reliable.

I'm not a huge Ford fan, but an f150 eco boost would be on my list to compare to. The guy that trims hooves for us has one. Pulls his trimming chute every day. Gets around 20 mpg.

I've got a first gen tundra that can sure do that job.
I've got cattle scattered all around. I learned that there's only one reason to have them that far and it's so you don't have to feed them. If I'm having to feed they get brought home or real close.

My wife's ecoboost has sure impressed me. I would be leaning more gas than diesels for what you describe but that's just me. Fuel mileage won't be close but cheaper maintenance, purchase price, and a lighter truck to feed with. If you are talking flat bed and a bale spike then you are looking at 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Finding that in good shape for less than $20k will be the challenge depending on your idea of good shape. What Fence says is good advice about feeding them.

I'll need a truck that gets good MPG, 4x4, flat bed for feeder and possibly a bale spike.

Sorta like sexy, sane, or single. Pick two.

Honestly I think it's really hard to beat a 2500 gas truck. You'll spend a little more on gas, but it's nothing compared to the cost of owning a diesel. Ford with the 6.2 or GM with the 6.0.

If you aren't hooked up and pulling hard 90% of the time, leave the diesel on the lot. That is pretty much the only time a diesel will save you money in fuel.

I'm in this for scenario for a couple years. If I'm not the one driving to feed someone else will and they'll be using the same truck I'm referring to. Maybe I do need to look harder at 3/4 gas. I had the thought diesel would last longer and be better on mpg. I'm religious about maintenance so that doesn't bother me.

Guess those miles aren't something to be afraid of then. Making me think more about the tacoma now.
My dad has a 2002 Tacoma with a 6 cylinder 2wd and it only gets 16 mpg, has since it was brand new. I have a 2002 Chevy half ton 4wd with a 5.3 liter v8 and it gets 17mpg. My dad wishes now he'd bought one like mine, they both have over 200,000 miles on them. I'm a fan of GM half tons. Very reliable trucks, easy to work on and maintain, power when you need it to pull, and good fuel mileage.

My dad has a 2002 Tacoma with a 6 cylinder 2wd and it only gets 16 mpg, has since it was brand new. I have a 2002 Chevy half ton 4wd with a 5.3 liter v8 and it gets 17mpg. My dad wishes now he'd bought one like mine, they both have over 200,000 miles on them. I'm a fan of GM half tons. Very reliable trucks, easy to work on and maintain, power when you need it to pull, and good fuel mileage.
I agree.

The Tacomas are way over hyped IMO. I'll take an older half ton 4wd any day.

The mileage is same, off road capabilities same, you gain a larger bed and cab with half ton and a V8. The tacomas are extremely reliable but can be pricey when you do have to work on them. We run half tons to 300K miles all the time. Parts are a dime a dozen and they are cheap to work on.

A 64 mile round trip several times a week isn't very many miles to drive. Gas is cheap right now I'd concentrate on a truck that will do the job at hand and last several years. When you do the math it's hard to save much money at $2 a gallon. I'd go with a 3/4 ton gas , just don't expect more than 10-12 mpg with a flatbed.

I wouldn't buy anything, just use what you got. I ran cows on two places that were 30+ miles from my farm but in the opposite direction. I never checked them more than twice a week and a lot of times just once. When feeding I would drag a self unloading hay wagon that would haul 4 rolls. It worked fine except when it was muddy. 4WD wouldn't help you in that black gumbo. Many a time I would just back the trailer in as far as I could off to the side as much as I could and dump the rolls there. I kept the rings up close to the road.

The last thing I need is the expense of another vehicle just to to drive to take care of a few dozen cows.

I wouldn't buy anything, just use what you got. I ran cows on two places that were 30+ miles from my farm but in the opposite direction. I never checked them more than twice a week and a lot of times just once. When feeding I would drag a self unloading hay wagon that would haul 4 rolls. It worked fine except when it was muddy. 4WD wouldn't help you in that black gumbo. Many a time I would just back the trailer in as far as I could off to the side as much as I could and dump the rolls there. I kept the rings up close to the road.

The last thing I need is the expense of another vehicle just to to drive to take care of a few dozen cows.
Very smart.

Do you have any of the 4 cylinder diesels over there like GM's Colorado? They are great trucks.

Ken
We only get decked out, $50k mall crawler diesels with all kinds of emissions junk on them. Big gas engines are coming back in favor because diesels have become such an expensive monstrosity.

The new mini Duramax has a belt driven oil pump. Guess what you have to do to change that belt? Pull the transmission. Good thinkin' GM. Before the truck is even good and broken in you'll be yanking the transmission to change a stupid belt.

I have a 2015 chevy colorado with the v6 gas burner. It will surprise you. I have got up to 30 mpg with it going 55mph on a long flat road, and about 16mpg pulling a trailer with a cord of firewood on it. I usually average at 24 mpg. I have 130k miles on it. A couple of sensors have went out on the truck since I've had it, so far that's all. It also looks pretty sharp, major plus. I put a K&N cold air system on it, maybe helped the gas mileage some.

We have quite a few of these 4 cylinder diesel utilities. The dual cab versions are the highest selling class of motor vehicle. They are the standard vehicle for tradesmen and get a lot of farm work and are very economical to run and stand up to the rough Australian conditions well. They include the Toyota Hilux, Ford ranger (5 cylinder), Mazda DT50 (rebadged Ranger), Nissan Navara, Holden Colorado, Isuzu Dmax Volkswagon Amarook ( I think a small V6 diesel now). All are rated to tow 3.5 tonne. They are also popular with the grey Nomads to tow the caravan on the trip around Australia. My wife drives a Colorado and we tow our 2.2 tonne caravan with it.

Ken

You mentioned it So i have to say it. I'd go with a 7.3. old cheap reliable easy to maintain and fix. I only say this because I have two and love them both 7.3s have a way to my heart.

Latest posts