Which Squeeze Chute?

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron, which was the worst chute you've laid eyes on? Like, brand- or make-wise.

I've had a look at Priefert, Tuff and Hi-Hog chutes and any chute that has bars that are too far for me to reach (me being just over 5' tall), I wouldn't bother looking at again. The Priefert S04 didn't seemed too bad until I had to try to reach the very top handles to open the rear gate. That was no fun. Even if it was oiled up (the one I tried out wasn't) it'd still be a pain for me to manipulate. The Tuff chute I didn't care for mainly because the release for the drop-bars would be something of a finger-pinching/removal hazard and a half. And I like my fingers very much, thanks. With Hi-Hog, they're not bad except for the pulley system and the rear gate. Those ropes and pulleys weren't user-friendly for a petite woman like moi, and I've never exactly cared for the kind of rear gate like I had to work with when we had our old chute.

The Sioux Steel chute seems a lot more user-friendly to me than those other three brands I've tried out.

Karin":23giubsa said:
Aaron, which was the worst chute you've laid eyes on? Like, brand- or make-wise.

I've had a look at Priefert, Tuff and Hi-Hog chutes and any chute that has bars that are too far for me to reach (me being just over 5' tall), I wouldn't bother looking at again. The Priefert S04 didn't seemed too bad until I had to try to reach the very top handles to open the rear gate. That was no fun. Even if it was oiled up (the one I tried out wasn't) it'd still be a pain for me to manipulate. The Tuff chute I didn't care for mainly because the release for the drop-bars would be something of a finger-pinching/removal hazard and a half. And I like my fingers very much, thanks. With Hi-Hog, they're not bad except for the pulley system and the rear gate. Those ropes and pulleys weren't user-friendly for a petite woman like moi, and I've never exactly cared for the kind of rear gate like I had to work with when we had our old chute.

The Sioux Steel chute seems a lot more user-friendly to me than those other three brands I've tried out.
My wife is 5 ffot so I left a couple of ropes damgling down from the handles on the Preifert, works fine for her

Karin":qtss24hq said:

Karin, the Tuff and Sioux Steel chute are one and the same. Tuff (Canada) & Real Tuff (USA) make all of Sioux Steel's handling equipment and just slap the Sioux Steel decals on them. You may have been around an older Tuff unit, as Tuff is farmer/rancher driven and makes adjustments to their units with the feedback they get. I found Tuff's system for the drop down bars to be one of the best I have seen - roll the pin with your thumb and pull it out/down.

As far as the worst chute, I would have to make a list and pick the one with the greatest of faults, which I have not done since I bought my Tuff chute. But some of the top contenders for worst would be Powder River, Foremost and Pearson. I have never priced a Pearson, but if you have to pay more than 2k new for that POS, your getting robbed. My old chute that I keep across the road in a pasture is a Hi-Qual from the 80's, and Hi-Qual is still working off that same pi$$ poor design in the chutes they build today, so they are a contender as well.

Priefert is middle of the road. Not terrible, not exceptional and priced about right, maybe slightly overpriced. It's no wonder it is so popular.

Interesting Aaron, what features about the Pearson and Hi-Qual is it you don't like? I honestly didn't realize Tuff and SS were one and the same, guess I should've seen that with the same colour feature on both brands. :)

Dun, I hope I wouldn't have the same trouble if I try to work with one. I do like it, except for those top handles, but like you say just attach a chain or a rope for a woman my height and it should work good. Thanks.

we have this chute alley and tub combo. easy to use. I am 5'1" about 110lbs and have no issue using this chute at all. we had a ww before and it was a heck of a work out for me to get one cow done.

countrygirl3":123wtt7d said:
I have been hearing a lot about new Sioux Steel chutes cutting up cows legs and feet. Anyone have this problem?
We have ran our 80 head through twice with out any cuts to legs or feet.

chorewife":v9p58yd9 said:

we have this chute alley and tub combo. easy to use. I am 5'1" about 110lbs and have no issue using this chute at all. we had a ww before and it was a heck of a work out for me to get one cow done.

That is the exact chute we are looking at getting and attaching to our existing alley and tub that we built. Is there anything at all you don't like about it or that you would change? Do you have the self-catching head catch and if so what do you think about it?

No on the self catching head gate, we have the one in the pic, manual catch and it is smooth and works well. the slick gate at the back works well and easy to use as well. I have no complaints about it is all an improvement over the ww chute we had.

this is the head gate we have. nothing to release when you want to let cow out just lift on the red handle and out they go and you are now ready for then next cow to come in.

Karin":es6yx5uz said:
Karin":es6yx5uz said:
what features about the Pearson and Hi-Qual is it you don't like?
nvm this question, didn't read the other posts.

Sorry Karin, I am meaning to respond but I am swamped with things to do and I wanted to make a detailed list for you. If I can in the future, remember, I will. The basic principle regarding each is the Pearson's are built far too cheaply, corners are cut, even though their basic design is right. The Hi-Qual's are the opposite, design is terrible, but they are well built and heavy duty.

I looked up the value of a basic Pearson chute and I just shake my head. About the same as a Sioux/Tuff and not even remotely in the same ballpark in terms of quality.

Around here we have two chutes , A Morand industries squeeze .They are made in Onoway Alberta .They have a automatic headgate ,shoulder holder , rolling back door . Easy to operate and are heavy duty built . Price wise there in that $5000 to 7000 now . I bought one when they first came out ,over 20 years ago and it is still going strong .Have put a lot of calves and cows and bulls through it with very little problems, just your normal wear and tare .The second chute is a Hydraulic Cattlelac . There made by Regcox feed mixers in Reddeer Alberta . The chute came with overhead scales . This chute is built for the feedlot industry and is extremely heavy duty . Ours has seen a few thousand head from calves to bulls and still like operates like the day we got it .Not sure on price now but I paid around $ 10,000 for it along time ago . I will say that if I had to choose which one to operate all day it would be the Hydraulic !! Easy on Myself and the cattle to . I just wish I had a portable one set up to take to different pastures and run it off my bale bed but so far the Morand works just fine . I have worked around a lot of squeezes [ stampede , Hiqual ,Pearson,Two W, Hihog , Tuff , Silencer,.and a few more not worth a mention ] both manual and Hydraulic . The only advice I can give is ..# 1, Buy a Squeeze that you can operate all day long with out getting yourself ,helpers and animals hurt or injured . #2 A Squeeze that fits you operation ( size of you herd, size of the animals ). #3 Price shouldn't matter with a Squeeze but it does to people . Does one really need a $7000.00 chute for Ten to Thousand cows ,no but what does it cost if you or a animal gets injured every time you use it .I look at at squeeze chute as an investment , if it lasts for 20 years and is still worth something after I'm done using it then it really was a cheap investment. I have helped a lot of people with cattle and I always find it funny that they cheap out then complain at the end of the day that things didn't go well working the herd . All I have to say is .. You get what you paid for !!

Thanks Cowboy70. That really is some great advice on what to think about. Do you have a preference for manual or self catching head catch? That is our big dilemma right now. And like you said, we are trying to look at this as a 15-20 year investment so the money is not really the issue so much as ease of use for us and the animals.

countrygirl3":3rtu55ff said:
Thanks Cowboy70. That really is some great advice on what to think about. Do you have a preference for manual or self catching head catch? That is our big dilemma right now. And like you said, we are trying to look at this as a 15-20 year investment so the money is not really the issue so much as ease of use for us and the animals.
I like a self catching chute myself , Why not let the animal do the work . Some self catching head gates might not work the greatest but that's why its best to shop around and find the one that does .Our Morand chute is over 20 years old and doesnt have all the bell and whistles like the new ones do but it catches them every time . In my opinion they are one of the best ,stampede steel being my second choice for manual chutes. Morand does have dealers in the states just not sure where exactly but if you contact Larry @ Morand he would know for sure . They have a few videos on you tube of them in action . Might be worth your time to look into . For got to Add my wife runs our Morand with no troubles at all and she not a big lady !!

Three problems right off the bat with Morand is overpriced, a rolling rear gate that requires you to walk back and forth to open/close, and worst of all, a heavy lower drop-down access door (ones that swing out are much more user-friendly, especially on the spine).

Also another is no butt-bar set-up to move stubborn cattle forward that don't want to put their heads through. I see a lot of other issues, but I will quit for now.

I know the Morand is fairly expensive but Like I said earlier ...You get what you pay for ? As for the rolling door I don't find that its really a issue . Gets you out of the flight zone of the incoming animal . As for the bottom door being heavy ,I agree it should be hinged differently but for as many times I have ever used it not really a issue either, maybe for others . And as for the Rump bar ?? I have never seen it used yet on any chute I have worked with that had one ? Seems people just use the ..old tail twist or the green hornet . Every squeeze has its good and bad points . Its just what will work for you and what a person is willing to pay .

Latest posts