Which Squeeze Chute?

Help Support CattleToday:

countrygirl3

Reaction score
Hi. We are looking to upgrade our old Powder River squeeze chute to something new (sick of head and shin knockers). We have kind of narrowed it down to either the Arrow or the Sioux Steel. The big back and forth is manual head catch versus self head catch. Any opinions either way would be much appreciated or if you have one or the other and have pros and cons. Even willing to look at a completely different brand if it gets rave reviews. Okay all you cattle folk, lets hear it :D

Sorry, countrygirl, I'm not familiar with those. We have a Preifert headgate with squeeze and palp cage, and like it so far.

:welcome: to CT!

Sioux Steel, hands down. If I had a couple extra thousand lying around collecting dust, I would go buy a 2nd Sioux chute right now, so I wouldn't have to move mine around as much to different pastures.

Only brand better is Stampede Steel, but then your into another bracket in terms of value.

As a former large-animal veterinarian, I've used a bunch of 'em, from Powder River to Priefert to ForMost to WW to off-brands made by who knows...

I've NEVER seen a 'self-catching' headgate that worked reliably enough for me to trust them to do the job. Maybe some others here have.

When we decided to replace our ancient old WW, a few years back, we spent a couple of years studying - and looking, at the N.A. Farm Machinery Show - before we settled on a Stampede Steel. Lots of things I like about it; some things I don't like. But, overall, it's the best design and construction of any chute I've ever had a chance to use.

My advice - if you can, look at as many as you can, in person - and if you can see 'em 'in action', actually working cattle - so much the better. Don't be in a rush; it's a decision you'll be living with for a long time.

Aaron--LuckyP--having never used or seen anything but Priefert, WW, Tartar, and Powder River, I'm not questioning your opinions at all , but what is it that makes Sioux Steel and Stampede that much better than say Priefert, WW or ForMost?

Aaron":2fmnah0q said:
Sioux Steel, hands down. If I had a couple extra thousand lying around collecting dust, I would go buy a 2nd Sioux chute right now, so I wouldn't have to move mine around as much to different pastures.

Only brand better is Stampede Steel, but then your into another bracket in terms of value.

I'm not familiar with Stampede Steel but the Sioux line of cattle products has always been very impressive to me.

greybeard":2vxw64fx said:
Aaron--LuckyP--having never used or seen anything but Priefert, WW, Tartar, and Powder River, I'm not questioning your opinions at all , but what is it that makes Sioux Steel and Stampede that much better than say Priefert, WW or ForMost?

All of those other brands are archaic in there basic design - from v-shaped chutes to head-busting bars and guillotine rear gates that will kill you if they fall and hit you in the wrong place. Designs that were more in-line with standards from the 80's, than today. None of those brands are popular in Canada, so I can only go by pictures and online videos. I did have a chance to look at the Foremost model with the integrated scale last summer while on tour with Stocker Steve and I was even more disappointed in it than from pictures. It looked slapped together, with odd bar hinges and scissor mechanisms in different spots, lots of places to get fingers pinched. And hardly any grease zirks, which was just disgusting - lots of creaking and clanging of metal. Certainly not worth the money they think it is. Sure there are some things I would like changed on the Sioux chute, but they are so minor, and likely irrelevant for most people, when compared to other manufacturers. I could look up any squeeze online and start picking it apart.

shaz":svdjtz83 said:
Automatic chute all the way. I'll never have another manual.
Yup, and with a scissors head catch instead of the swinging ones.

Aaron":2jntdjoz said:

Is there anything you don't like about the sioux steel or that you would change?

I've never seen a Stampede Steel in person nor do I know where to buy one but after watching their demo video I think I will seriously consider one when I decide to buy another. I really like how the head catch handle is in the rear of the chute. I have a Priefert now with the auto head gate and palp cage that I really like but this one seems to be a little more user friendly. Anyone know how much they cost?

Kyle

countrygirl3":t3hetz4f said:
Aaron":t3hetz4f said:

Is there anything you don't like about the sioux steel or that you would change?

The only difference I could find between the Sioux and Stampede Steel chutes, was that you could control the headgate from the rear of the chute, on the Stampede Steel. It was priced $2000 higher than the Sioux, and I didn't think it was worth it just for that. The SS chute weighed a few hundred pounds more and uses more pipe steel than structural.

One thing I didn't like on the Sioux is not enough grease zirks. It has about 30 of them on it, but I could find at least 10 more spots to put some. If it did, it would be just as quiet as a chute with nylon bushings.

Also, the set-up for adjusting the sides of the headgate could be improved. It uses hitch pins, and they are slick, but the quick pin system used on Hi-Hog chutes is even slicker.

I didn't care for the engineering of the center pivot system that brings in the parallel sides of the Sioux chute. Can be a head banger if you follow a cow straight through the chute.

Really minor stuff that most people could care less about, but I am so picky/anal when it comes to buying equipment of any kind.

tnwalkingred":1012yeej said:
I've never seen a Stampede Steel in person nor do I know where to buy one but after watching their demo video I think I will seriously consider one when I decide to buy another. I really like how the head catch handle is in the rear of the chute. I have a Priefert now with the auto head gate and palp cage that I really like but this one seems to be a little more user friendly. Anyone know how much they cost?

Kyle

$6500 was the quote given to me about 5 years ago.

Thanks everybody!!! I have been trying to look into the Stampede Steel but every time I try to look it up it takes me to WW. Are they one and the same? I have put my hands on a Sioux and like the way it works but coming from a really old Powder River the newer chutes are almost like spaceships with all the new gadgets and such. My neighbor (and you know you are rural when you say neighbor to someone who lives thirty miles away) just got an Arrow and we are going to go look at it. The only thing he doesn't like is the infinite squeeze and head catch can be tricky if you are not used to using it because you have to open it all the way before it will begin to close so no opening it a little and quick catching the next cow in line.
Our other neighbor bought a brand new For-Most. We like it but it just isn't built as heavy or large as some of the other chutes that we have looked at. We need something that can run from little 200 pounders up to 2400 pound bulls.
I have been hearing a lot about new Sioux Steel chutes cutting up cows legs and feet. Anyone have this problem?

countrygirl3":3caowys3 said:
Hi. We are looking to upgrade our old Powder River squeeze chute to something new (sick of head and shin knockers). We have kind of narrowed it down to either the Arrow or the Sioux Steel. The big back and forth is manual head catch versus self head catch. Any opinions either way would be much appreciated or if you have one or the other and have pros and cons. Even willing to look at a completely different brand if it gets rave reviews. Okay all you cattle folk, lets hear it :D

I don't know if you have looked at one but Powder River now makes one with a ratchet system that does not have the head knocker bars. it is a pretty slick chute. I don't know how many cattle you have and the budget you are working with. But if I had very many cattle I would look at a Silencer. I ran one that the friend has and it is the real deal..... just a bit pricey.

I, too, have been looking for a squeeze chute for several years. We've always just had a headgate and gates, and it's been there since my parent's put it there in 1977. After many big cows and years of work, it literally doesn't open anymore. So while I've never had a real chute, I guess I've been really picky in the features I want if I'm finally going to buy one. I grew up an athlete and with big cattle my entire life, so despite being a girl, I consider myself fairly strong and able to do most of what I need around the farm by myself. However, as everyone knows, working cattle by yourself 99% of the time can be a chore. I want a chute you don't have to be Heman to operate. My cows are also gentle and usually require pushing to get them through the headgate. So while an auto catch sounds like it would work great, my cows usually won't go through. A few things: my cows are big cows; my chute is in the alley where I also load cattle out (old set up), so I need something that opens wide and tall at the front; I also show/sell cattle at purebred events so access to all sides of the cattle is a must when I need to clip them; need cattle to be able to exit both sides of the chute because of the way my lots are set with the alley being in the middle of 2 sorting lots. Most chutes fall short on any number of those features, mostly either too short, both gates don't open, won't fit big bulls, etc...

I was originally set on the stampede steel because of the rear controls on the self catch, big chute that fits cattle of all sizes, all gates open multiple places for great access. Figured that might be the best of both worlds....until I saw the price tag. I just can't justify that right now. So then I moved on to the Sioux Steel/Reel Tuff chutes because I really liked several of the features both those chutes had. They were very similar to the Stampede, but a little more simple in operation, and we all probably prefer simple to complicated when it comes to working cattle. The SS/RT chutes had the parallel squeeze, ratchet system with pole to keep one forward in the chute, palp cage, etc... However, like someone mentioned, if you're at all a tall person, the squeeze system and main frame bars are relatively short. I can see someone easily hitting their head on those areas if they are following one through the chute or if they have a gate open and step up to the chute from the side to clip or something to that effect. Also, their squeeze bar has to be constantly adjusted once you squeeze the chute down in order to keep it up and out of your way from hitting your head.

I couldn't really get past the height issue of those things on the SS, and when I found the Arrow 8400, I think I finally found the one I want. It has a few things that aren't perfect, but I think overall, it fits what I'm looking for the best. The main feature that I love, is the manual headgate that can be operated at any point along the chute. It also opens tall and wide so nothing should hit their head or top going through the front of the chute. Also the back gate is on sliders so there are no ropes to pull or anything like that. You can operate the headgate and the rear gate simultaneously if you need to. The rope pulleys on some chutes are fairly heavy to operate and this system is super smooth and easy for me. So this will allow me to twist tails and whatever else I need to do to stay behind the cattle in order to push them to the headgate and I can close it without having to run to the front really fast or rely on them catching themselves and making sure both catch bars hit the catch latch. It also has the ratchet system and a palp cage. The squeeze and headgate bars hang down to the side so they aren't in your way to catch your leg or head on as you're working. There's a lifetime warranty on the locking pin system and a 5 year warranty on something else (I can't remember what those are right now). I think the Arrow and the SS are very close in price, so for me, the Arrow is probably what I'm going to buy as soon as my dealer gets another one in. I've waited long enough, and I think I've finally found "the one."

cowgirl21":v9m4etlh said:
However, as everyone knows, working cattle by yourself 99% of the time can be a chore.

I worked cattle with a crew of 14 people once. We brought in the hydraulic unit. It was still a chore :)

Latest posts