WHICH OF THESE 3 BULLS IS SUPERIOR AND READY TO GO TO WORK?

Help Support CattleToday:

WHICH OF THESE 3 BULLS IS SUPERIOR AND READY TO GO TO WORK?

• DONNAIL A ANGUS BULL

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • ND ANGUS ANGUS BULL

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • ROCKET2222 HERFORD BULL

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters
iowahawkeyes":3fuf3uzs said:
Geez, I hardly ever get PMS, I mean PM's. Kind of glad about that too. :shock: :banana:

Herebouts, PMS stands for "Parents Missing Sense" and pertains to folks who let their kids run wild.

lakading":vijsak7z said:
iowahawkeyes":vijsak7z said:
I don't think they are fitted at all.

ND said the local FFA kids had been practicing on his bull, and Donna's sold through a show/sale.

I guess my definition of fitted is different. To me they are clipped. To me fitted means adhesive in the legs to make the hair stand up and under my criteria they are not fitted.

The little red and white bull would make a sweet heifer. He appears to be straight. Give him a little more time, he could catch up. Some have that spurt of growth right on the tail end.
Chuckie

Chuckie":fs9xi6or said:
The little red and white bull would make a sweet heifer. He appears to be straight. Give him a little more time, he could catch up. Some have that spurt of growth right on the tail end.
Chuckie
naw...now see that aint the answer he's looking for.. your messing every thing up chuckie you spose to be knocking the angus bull's :p

I used to raise herefords. I had to go black because herefords in michigan were getting $0.15 per lb at the sale less then blacks or baldies (maybe that's not true everywhere??). It's funny how you can put a black bull on a bunch of hereford cows and get $0.15 more per lb but if someone wants to pay it, I'll deliver it. It's a business right?

I personally like the looks of the herford bull, but again, most influence around here is looking for more depth of rib - something more in line wth ND Angus. Is the issue really being post - legged or depth of rib??? Depth of rib changes the look of identical legs.

Anyway, I wish everyone would pay me as much for what I like, but with as little margin as there is in this business, you gotta get $0.15 where you can get $0.15. Just so I don't get hit. Here's my bull - posted on another link as well.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... 507025.jpg

Guess I never answered the question though.

I don't think any are "superior". I like the hereford. I'd buy one of the other two probably the ND bull because he's "fat" - though around here people call that "fleshy". Folks seem to pay for "easy fleshing" so he'd be viewed positively.

Once they are 15 months old, they're probably all ready to go to work. I mean, if that was your job, you'd probably be ready to go to work too!

I have not voted for any of the three bulls, None of them are ready for heavy service, Not old enough, however they should get some cows bred. As far as nd bull being easy fleshing he feeds the bull a 5 gallon bucket of grain a day. If i have to put that much feed in a bull aday i don't need him.

OK, let me re-pharase that again, you will feel like you ain't gettin' nuthin' fer it.'
Like your neighbor went on vaction and paid you to feed his dog kind of nuthin.'
Chuckie

Red Bull Breeder":93s7cw4p said:
I have not voted for any of the three bulls, None of them are ready for heavy service, Not old enough, however they should get some cows bred. As far as nd bull being easy fleshing he feeds the bull a 5 gallon bucket of grain a day. If i have to put that much feed in a bull aday i don't need him.

Your customers are certainly different than my customers. My customers want to know their steers are going to flesh and grow on feed. I have 6 bulls on feed right now. Some are easily fleshing more than others - that includes fat - cover and intermuscular. I will keep the easiest fleshing one back on pasture (where he'll slim down) and he'll come off grain. I don't want a bull around that needs a 5 gallon bucket of grain either - that's why I like the ND bull - he's proving he doesn't need it either. But without testing an animals limits, we won't know to what they are genetically predisposed. I suppose, then, my indirect assumption that the other bulls would NOT be as easy fleshing is false. They simply may not be on the feed. But when I buy I bull I want to see the data and know to the best of my ability what the offspring are going to do.

That said, I still like the hereford bull, but I'd buy one of the other two based not on what I want, but what I believe my customers want.

Darhawk":3mqiuard said:
iowahawkeyes":3mqiuard said:
Geez, I hardly ever get PMS, I mean PM's. Kind of glad about that too. :shock: :banana:

Herebouts, PMS stands for "Parents Missing Sense" and pertains to folks who let their kids run wild.

I think there is/was some of that going on with the so called "source" of this thread.

My coustomers want a bull that will produce calves that will grow like hades on mommas milk and green grass. They want bulls that RANGE READY and TOUGH, Not the pilsbury dough boy bulls that melt down when summer hits 100 degrees on dryed up fescue is a little hard on them kind. Fullblood limi bulls on charolais cows produce yellow calves that out sell black calves every day down here.

Thought I would add a little something, beings I kinda got included in this, I obviously chose a bull that I thought would best improve my herd, but I would like to say this about the ND Angus bull.
For some reason a lot of folks seem to think you throw a bunch of feed into a calf and he will just keep growing and growing. Its not that easy, it takes some darn good genetics to raise a almost 1500 lb yearling bull, like ND Angus has. I really don't see a whole lot of fat on him, just a well finished bull. He may not be one that I would personally choose, but I do think that he [ND] has some pretty darn good genetic tools to work with on his farm.

oakcreekfarms":3ra8khxm said:
Rocket i like the bull, wish his testicles were a little bigger. I don't know what the temp was so therefore it is impossible to tell if his nuts are small or pulled up. He might be a little frail in his bone for my liking, but he seems to be a very smooth made bull. Good bull though for sure.

Yes, a little chilly that day, I think they will be fine. Although they don't hang very low, they are good sized.

Herefords.US":3rp9vi7b said:
. He's certainly got a good looking mother behind him - and this is only her first calf that she did very well with.

I didn't vote either. It's a stupid poll - but then, consider its source.

George

I liked his 786 lb WW out of that first calf heifer, his mother had a heifer this year, the cows owner says she's also growing like a weed, will probably go in the donor herd next.

Latest posts