T-post one, me zero

Help Support CattleToday:

Reminds me of a dad/grandpa story. They trucked for everyone in the country. Went to haul corn for old man Brown back in the old days. Motor was weak on the auger, so Brown gave it a spin to get it started, but caught his finger between the belt and pulley. Grandpa helped him take his glove off, the finger was attached by meat and tendons only. Grandpa said we'll take you to town to get you fixed up, Brown's reply was no. Grandpa said "well give me your knife." Old Man Brown digs it out and hands it to grandpa, the holds the finger with his good hand as grandpa cut it the rest of the way off. Brown said that's that, threw the finger in the weeds. Walks to the house, comes back in 5-10 and goes right back to work.
Very few people alive today have any concept as to how tough people used to be...

I wore a wedding ring for about a year and the muscles in my finger began to atrophy. Some people have that happen, apparently. Even today, 47 years later, my left ring finger has a noticeable smaller circumference at the base.

Hate that happened to you, hope it heals up fast.
I've got a couple homemade iron post drivers made out of pipe with cap welded on the ends. One is probably 3 ft long or a little more and big around enough to go over the t post with out much play. No handles on it. Always have to be careful when putting it on a post and not get fingers in the way of it when it goes on. I like it cause it's long enough I don't really have to worry bout it coming off the post.

I've never been one to wear any kind of jewelry necklace or rings, I told my wife when me married I ain't gonna be wearing a ring much. Only times I wear it is when going to town or traveling in a non work capacity. She's the same way too. I've known several people get their rings caught in some bad situations.
I tell her all the time I can shave the mustache part of beard and the beard can be a symbol of our marriage like the Amish men do, but she don't like that idea.

No wedding ring for me. As a farmer/mechanic/welder my hands are in a lot of hazardous places. My fingers are valuable so I don't want any extra risk to them.
Same for me.. One guy I was working with hit his wedding ring with the MIG welder.. it got real hot real fast!.. I had to get the side cutters out and clip it so he could get it off

I made it through the night without it bleeding to much but broke it open buttoning my jeans this morning. Changed the dressing and then went to feed. It don't look like I will be doing a whole lot the next few days. The thumb and finger is cut open kind of in a bad spot. As dad likes to say, it's a long way from my heart.

Note to self: when driving a broke off T-post use the sledge hammer stupid.
Making the same mistake but avoiding serious injury I now put the post driver over the post and use sledge on the top of the driver. Much easier to hold post

Gate latch vs wedding ring while going through gate on side by side. View attachment 44656
I rolled my skin plumb over my knuckle about 20 years ago when my wedding ring hung something, like a dummy instead of taking the ring off I used it to push my skin back in place and then had to cut the ring off. I wear a silicone wedding band now.

I got the estimated bill from the hospital today. It was a little over $2700, to honest I'm a bit livid about it. I was only in there for a little over an hour. They soaked my fingers and sewed up my thumb, and used some glue the glue the rest of me together. Because I am self pay they took off 40%, and at the nurses station they wrote that they were giving another 20%. I saved about $1400, but I'm pretty sure that didn't include the doctor. I expect to get a bill in a few months, and if it is like the last time I was in the ER it will be for about the same amount as my discount.

I got the estimated bill from the hospital today. It was a little over $2700, to honest I'm a bit livid about it. I was only in there for a little over an hour. They soaked my fingers and sewed up my thumb, and used some glue the glue the rest of me together. Because I am self pay they took off 40%, and at the nurses station they wrote that they were giving another 20%. I saved about $1400, but I'm pretty sure that didn't include the doctor. I expect to get a bill in a few months, and if it is like the last time I was in the ER it will be for about the same amount as my discount.
Kinda makes you not want to go when sick or injured doesn't it.

Kinda makes you not want to go when sick or injured doesn't it.

A lot of overhead to running a hospital so it is not the amount of the bill that chaps your arse as it is the fact that if you were an illegal immigrant your bill would be zero. Same goes for the native Gov't freeloaders.

They are going to build a new hospital here that is not affiliated with the current hospital. I think they just broke ground, unless the new building is for something else, but I am pretty sure it is for the new hospital. I'm not so sure that the community can support two hospitals.

A lot of overhead to running a hospital so it is not the amount of the bill that chaps your arse as it is the fact that if you were an illegal immigrant your bill would be zero. Same goes for the native Gov't freeloaders.

Some of the expenses hospitals have are seriously questionable though. I was talking to an EMT and she was telling me about how expensive their equipment is. One of the gurneys they have in an ambulance is something like sixty thousand dollars. So I was looking at the gurney and it's not that complicated. I'm sure I could build one in my garage. Someone is padding prices and the prices at the hospitals are justified by the inflated costs. And the same thing goes for the meds they use...

I think the insurance racket has a lot to do with the hospital cost. If I had insurance they would have been billed $2700, and I would have never even questioned it. Obama care made things even worse. Of course every time government tries to fix something they usually end up making it much worse. Government loves one size fits all.

Years ago dad chopped off the end of his finger with the chop saw. He went to the clinic and they sewed it back on. When he got the bill they tried to charge him for chopping of another finger besides sewing the finger back on that he chopped off. At that time I think it cost him around $500; that would have been the late 80's early 90's.

Some of the expenses hospitals have are seriously questionable though. I was talking to an EMT and she was telling me about how expensive their equipment is. One of the gurneys they have in an ambulance is something like sixty thousand dollars. So I was looking at the gurney and it's not that complicated. I'm sure I could build one in my garage. Someone is padding prices and the prices at the hospitals are justified by the inflated costs. And the same thing goes for the meds they use...
A lot of the US hospitals, and the drug companies, and the suppliers are all monopolized.. there is no competition anymore, so the prices have just skyrocketed

Latest posts