Which mineral to use and when, 9:18 vs 6:12

Help Support CattleToday:

My friend must use the feed grade DE. I have fed her horses and her dogs and I put it in both there feeds. I didn't know it had such good properties to kill fleas, ticks and flies, that is so neat.

So are you going to try and use the DE as a fly control measure in your barns or will you be looking into something different?

I was visiting with the local feed store guy the other day. Talking about fly control I mentioned D.E. He stated that in S.D. and I.A. they are putting D.E. in the manure pits to reduce odar. What exactly is in this stuff that would break down manure? He said he either went through it (Im pretty sure thats what he said) or by it and it was night and day difference from the hog units in N.E.

Only claims I ever heard about DE and "odor control" was made by folks who were promoting it and selling it as such and making a killing off it. I guess a fellow could give it a try tho and see if it works. There is nothing in it at all other than the skeletons of diatoms deposited over the ages where ancient seabeds once existed. You might Google "Diatoms" and read up on them. Very interesting.

Amo":2ymddl84 said:
Thats just what he told me. Been busy AIing. He could sell snow to a snow fence, but if he didn't believe in it he wouldn't be saying it either.
:lol: :lol: Ok if you say so...If he's charging more than $25 for a 50 lb. bag of the stuff somebody is gettin' screwed and he's laughing all the way to the bank. Hopefully he's being fair.

He don't have any on hand. Didn't even know the current price. Just said it was kinda spendy to put in a mineral mix. Which doesn't jive with your $25 a bag. When he does add it to a mineral mix it comes from the same plant I mentioned previously in this thread. Just for kicks I might have to call down there and see what a bag costs.

We were just bsing about it. I was just saying that sometimes we "discussed" things like wdg (which I like and he don't) and he is very bull headed about things, but usually has info to back up what he is saying...even if I disagree. How he knows they are putting D.E. in the pits or feed to reduce odar IDK. Im just saying he can sound like he is full of hot air, but not full of crap either...if you get what Im saying.

Amo":fvoftnw7 said:
He don't have any on hand. Didn't even know the current price. Just said it was kinda spendy to put in a mineral mix. Which doesn't jive with your $25 a bag. When he does add it to a mineral mix it comes from the same plant I mentioned previously in this thread. Just for kicks I might have to call down there and see what a bag costs.

We were just bsing about it. I was just saying that sometimes we "discussed" things like wdg (which I like and he don't) and he is very bull headed about things, but usually has info to back up what he is saying...even if I disagree. How he knows they are putting D.E. in the pits or feed to reduce odar IDK. Im just saying he can sound like he is full of hot air, but not full of crap either...if you get what Im saying.
I hear ya....down here you cannot put DE in feed and make any claims other than the mill put it in the mix as a "flow agent or anti-caking agent" to make the mix flow better thru their system. It is approved as an insecticide but anything besides that is strictly someone's individual opinion or perhaps a "sales gimmick".

There are two types of DE on the market. One is a food grade so yes it can go in the food. I have heard also that is is a good de-wormer as well. I really like the idea of a pest control, for fly control,mosquitoes and such.

maryk":19ax7e9n said:
There are two types of DE on the market. One is a food grade so yes it can go in the food. I have heard also that is is a good de-wormer as well. I really like the idea of a pest control, for fly control,mosquitoes and such.
Actually I think it's "Feed Grade". Works great on anything with an exoskeleton. Simply punctures the outer skeleton and they dehydrate. (Both good and bad bugs).

Well, I was wondering how to feed a cow who is proven who needs minerals, but who doesn't want to touch any mineral supplement... I don't know why she doesn't want it, but she doesn't even seem to eat much salt (unlike my other animals)

Nesikep":2h5b8egc said:
Well, I was wondering how to feed a cow who is proven who needs minerals, but who doesn't want to touch any mineral supplement... I don't know why she doesn't want it, but she doesn't even seem to eat much salt (unlike my other animals)

If the recommended feeding rate for the mineral is 4 oz. per head per day, weigh the 4 oz. out and mix it with something like soybean meal, dried molasses or some other feed and give it to her.

the rate for this is 2oz/day, but if I mix it even with something she really likes (grain perhaps), she won't touch the grain, I've tried that... I might spread a bit in the manger so she gets some when she licks for leaves and see if that works. though maybe she wouldn't smell it if it were mixed with molasses, and I have some brewers malt that would do the trick

Have you put it in their food yet to see if that helps for fleas, ticks, fly control, mosquito control, etc?

maryk":2kz4kmn9 said:
Have you put it in their food yet to see if that helps for fleas, ticks, fly control, mosquito control, etc?
It doesn't work that way...it has to come in contact with the pests to be effective.

Latest posts