Which mineral to use and when, 9:18 vs 6:12

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo":1civh1dq said:
How about diametric earth to use as an internal wormer! Got a feed man in my country pushing it for that. Parasite eats the diametric earth (clay I think) and it swells in the parasite (I think) also something about it having corse rough edges and making parasite split open, die, and pass through.
Have heard this but no real proof that it works. I know some goat raisers that swear by it. They say fecal tests prove it works. Other say nonsense. I'd just keep using it as an insecticide. It is approved for that.

OMG, OMG, OMG! Accually the guy I buy my sweet pro tubs from sells this stuff. IIRC he uses it as a wormer for his horses. IIRC I think its a clay based substance. I know the guy I get my tubs from stirs a table spoon of this into his orange juice every day to help with arthritious and lord knows what else! The same guy I was talking about previously I think also takes it, and another bull breeder promotes the stuff for human consumption as well If memory serves me right. THESE PEOPLE ARE EATING PESTACIDES :yuck: :mad: :lol2: and having a fit about GMO corn :bang: :bang: :bang:

Amo":35njg5m7 said:
OMG, OMG, OMG! Accually the guy I buy my sweet pro tubs from sells this stuff. IIRC he uses it as a wormer for his horses. IIRC I think its a clay based substance. I know the guy I get my tubs from stirs a table spoon of this into his orange juice every day to help with arthritious and lord knows what else! The same guy I was talking about previously I think also takes it, and another bull breeder promotes the stuff for human consumption as well If memory serves me right. THESE PEOPLE ARE EATING PESTACIDES :yuck: :mad: :lol2: and having a fit about GMO corn :bang: :bang: :bang:
ROFLMAO....it would appear they are however, at least it is an "all natural" pesticide. Diatomaceous earth or DE as often called is simply the skeletons of microscopic diatoms which were deposited hundreds of thousand of years ago in ancient sea beds. If memory serves me correctly a lot of it is mined in Wyoming. It is mined just like coal etc....ground as fine as baby powder, and is really totally harmless unless possibly inhaled which could irritate the lungs. Under a microscope it looks like jagged glass and will kill just about any insect with an exoskeleton by puncturing the exoskeleton allowing it to dehydrate and die. Works great for fleas, ticks, flies and garden bugs but is not selective and kills both good insects as well as the bad. Make sure you buy the "feed grade" product and not the processed product which is used for swimming pool filters.

Does it help your friends?? Who knows but it doesn't hurt anything .... sort of like taking sugar pills...if you think it makes you feel better then you feel better....but has nothing to do with the sugar pills.

IDK! I the place I get my tubs from has tried selling it to me the last 2 years. If he wasn't $40 a tub cheaper on his tubs I wouldn't go there. It takes 45 minutes to get 2 pallets of tubs loaded and paid for! 90% of the time he spends trying to sell me this "other" stuff. This year after the DE conversation we discussed hay prices. Said I was going to fertlize. Sweet Pro people push Redmond salt. He was trying to tell me to mix a percentage of salt in with my fert! As if it didn't have enough salt in it already. He did it to his pastures and his lawn and his moms lawn.

Youd be suprised at the bull breeder that promotes it, well maybe not if you know him. Im completely serious about the GMO stuff. He had a couple of links up on his Facebook page bashing Monsanto and GMO corn, how we need to be "natural and green" or something to that effect. Im sorry, but Ill eat a semi load of GMO corn before eating an "all natural" pestacide :2cents:

Amo":1h4vs1nn said:
IDK! I the place I get my tubs from has tried selling it to me the last 2 years. If he wasn't $40 a tub cheaper on his tubs I wouldn't go there. It takes 45 minutes to get 2 pallets of tubs loaded and paid for! 90% of the time he spends trying to sell me this "other" stuff. This year after the DE conversation we discussed hay prices. Said I was going to fertlize. Sweet Pro people push Redmond salt. He was trying to tell me to mix a percentage of salt in with my fert! As if it didn't have enough salt in it already. He did it to his pastures and his lawn and his moms lawn.

Youd be suprised at the bull breeder that promotes it, well maybe not if you know him. Im completely serious about the GMO stuff. He had a couple of links up on his Facebook page bashing Monsanto and GMO corn, how we need to be "natural and green" or something to that effect. Im sorry, but Ill eat a semi load of GMO corn before eating an "all natural" pestacide :2cents:
The Redmond products should be sold via infomercial on TV with one of those fast talking guys. Redmond salt is just that....salt....it's all hype but the "all natural" folks push this crap and selling it at 3x normal prices and the gullible eat it up. Don't let them steal your money. AND if he can sell a tub for $40 less than other tubs something is bad wrong.

Its a Sweet Pro tub, just like the rest of the dealers. His dad does the trucking, and he stores all of it. The others around must kinda order as a coop, and have a mutal storage place. They all price it the same. They wanted him to go up, but he didn't. He had to go up a tad due to increased purchase price. I got carry over product from last year. Thats a bit of the price spread.

Amo":3l6zb00g said:
Its a Sweet Pro tub, just like the rest of the dealers. His dad does the trucking, and he stores all of it. The others around must kinda order as a coop, and have a mutal storage place. They all price it the same. They wanted him to go up, but he didn't. He had to go up a tad due to increased purchase price. I got carry over product from last year. Thats a bit of the price spread.
Tubs haven't gone up that much since last year. $40 a ton makes sense but not $40 a tub.

I don't think I said they went up $40 a tub. If I did I misspoke. I can get them $40 cheaper from this dealer than the other.I think its a combo of price increase and they think where hay is high that they can gouge a bit. They think their "probitean" will help you get more goodie and strech your hay.

I paid last years price of $79. I think he went up to $83 for 250# 20%. The others were higher previous years, and they went up as well. The closest one uses the fresh start because they were having trouble with consumption. She is in with the other dealers and Im pretty sure she said $119 (that might be the price on a 30 instead of a 20). I could be wrong. You compare that to an all natural crystalyx its right in line or cheaper @ $119. Like I said combo of cheaper freight and storage, and I think they are increasing their mark up.

Maybe a typo but your original post said $40 a tub....anyway, molasses tubs are NOT hay stretchers. They compliment/supplement hay. Those prices seem in line to me. Saw some last week for $88 a tub. Chrystalix is usually a little more expensive but an excellent product.

You guys think that DE would control lice at all? I have a few fleabag cows that I'd like to find a natural insecticide for, perhaps that would do it, dust them down well with it... guess it would be worth a try

Nesikep":3ln7561f said:
You guys think that DE would control lice at all? I have a few fleabag cows that I'd like to find a natural insecticide for, perhaps that would do it, dust them down well with it... guess it would be worth a try
Nesi it will kill the lice that get it on them. Works great on ticks, fleas, and flies as well. Give the cattle a good heavy cover of DE. Don't know what it cost but last I saw was around $25 or less for a 50 lb. bag. Last house I bought had ticks everywehre in the yard. Walked all over the yard just throwing handfuls across the grass.....must have killed every tick cause was haven't seen any in years.

Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for it and try it out this fall... would be worth a shot, it's either that or I'm going to have a lot of fun trying to bathe the ornery with flea shampoo.

Our cows like to dig in the dry ground around here and can make a mess of a nice field doing it, and if you don't watch it will have you break and axle on a baler or flip a tractor when they get down 18" or so, if they do it again and if the price is right for DE around here maybe I'll throw some in their favourite dust holes and they can apply it themselves. Would save me a lot of work , and once they're rid of the lice, they'll probably do less digging.. Except for some which just have a habit of it when they're setting up to fight (I'm thinking in the next couple year they may be sale barn candidates. Last year I brought about 3 dumptruck loads of dirt back on my fields to fill in the holes, don't want to be doing that all the time

I have a friend who gives DE to her dogs and horses. It's in powder form that she mixes with their food and other stuff. From what you guys are saying it shouldn't be ingested, right? I had no idea it was a great pest controller though.

Maryk, to be down right honest I don't know exactly what its origonal use was. Yes I do know of some people the feed it to their horses. These same people mix it in their orange juice. Either table spoon or teaspoon. These people buy it from a custom feed maker. So it must get put in some feeds. I know when he first tried telling me about it I thought to myself that if you want to eat that stuff fine. I sure wouldn't be spreading that info around. He might of said that it was an insectacide. If you can feed it to an animal as a wormer which is what another guy is trying to sell it for it must be somewhat safe. TB even stated the same. Just not something that I personally would do.

Amo":2az8d8tx said:
Maryk, to be down right honest I don't know exactly what its origonal use was. Yes I do know of some people the feed it to their horses. These same people mix it in their orange juice. Either table spoon or teaspoon. These people buy it from a custom feed maker. So it must get put in some feeds. I know when he first tried telling me about it I thought to myself that if you want to eat that stuff fine. I sure wouldn't be spreading that info around. He might of said that it was an insectacide. If you can feed it to an animal as a wormer which is what another guy is trying to sell it for it must be somewhat safe. TB even stated the same. Just not something that I personally would do.
Amo DE has been used for a long time in swimming pool filters, however, we now have a filter grade and a "Feed" Grade. It can be put in feed as an "anticaking" agent or as a "flow agent" but no statement can be made as to it being effective on internal parasites.

We put a pot of DE in the calf shelters and the little buggers are in there like white on rice. They leave little nose prints all over the walls. The cows do not bother with it.
Rumor back several years ago was, DE was good at helping to clear up scours. I am hearing rumblings about it helping to keep codsidiousous levels down too. Yes rumors and rumblings. Do not have any scientific proof. I do know that we have had very little scour problems and no codsidousois (sp nasty word). The rumor is , with them eating the DE, they are less likely to eat dirt which harbors the viruses and bacteria.

There are different grades of DE. I am told the white is best

rockridgecattle":7dzprexn said:
We put a pot of DE in the calf shelters and the little buggers are in there like white on rice. They leave little nose prints all over the walls. The cows do not bother with it.
Rumor back several years ago was, DE was good at helping to clear up scours. I am hearing rumblings about it helping to keep codsidiousous levels down too. Yes rumors and rumblings. Do not have any scientific proof. I do know that we have had very little scour problems and no codsidousois (sp nasty word). The rumor is , with them eating the DE, they are less likely to eat dirt which harbors the viruses and bacteria.

There are different grades of DE. I am told the white is best
It's all snow white.

Latest posts