Which is your top pick?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ok, scrapping #2. Found out his 205 day weaning weight was absolutely horrendous. Barely 400 lbs. :shock:

BW - ADJ WW - ADJ YW

#1 90 647 1050
#2 92 407 1110
#3 95 659 1143
#4 93 629 989
#5 83 620 961
#6 99 685 1146

Aaron":9xt3fafm said:
Ok, scrapping #2. Found out his 205 day weaning weight was absolutely horrendous. Barely 400 lbs. :shock:

BW - ADJ WW - ADJ YW

#1 90 647 1050
#2 92 407 1110
#3 95 659 1143
#4 93 629 989
#5 83 620 961
#6 99 685 1146
Can't put a lot of emphasis on the numbers unless you know how they have been fed. Right? My grass fed bull has an Average Daily gain of 2.38 lds.. Which cost me a whole lot less than my friends bulls that went into a feeding program with similar WDA's!
When you know that weight was put on by grazing and not supplementation, you have a better conversion in my opinion. :2cents:

As long as 3 and 4 are your top picks you can basically place the rest in any order and good reasons will keep the spectators satisfied with your placings. Pretty impressive group of bulls.

KNERSIE":1g26vcgk said:
As long as 3 and 4 are your top picks you can basically place the rest in any order and good reasons will keep the spectators satisfied with your placings. Pretty impressive group of bulls.

What is your reasoning of 4 over 1?

Aaron":3n54rwyd said:

BW - ADJ WW - ADJ YW

#1 90 647 1050
#2 92 407 1110
#3 95 659 1143
#4 93 629 989
#5 83 620 961
#6 99 685 1146

Things could have happened, maybe he did get ill as a calf and they were honest with his wright and he made it back up like a monster (4.39 adg...)or...
Typos can happen even in sale catalogs or numbers could have been transposed?
It's really a strange number to not wonder if it was an oops.
What if it was 704 and some dummy just missed the error?

I've even seen a few mistakes in published books in my years of reading.

Aaron":n2qet2r8 said:

BW - ADJ WW - ADJ YW

#1 90 647 1050
#2 92 407 1110
#3 95 659 1143
#4 93 629 989
#5 83 620 961
#6 99 685 1146

I'd be more likely to cull #2's mom than to kick him out of your options for being your bull. It seems like he did a great job of converting his non-dairy inputs into flesh from weaning to yearling status.

Do you have frame scores on any of these bulls at any age (including maybe their current age and framescore)? A yearling 6.5 frame bull weighing 1100 pounds is quite different (in my book) than a yearling 5.0 frame bull weighing 1050.

Bull 1 -- was 7.2x heavier at weaning than birth ... and was 1.6x heavier as a yearling than when weaned
Bull 2 -- 4.4x and 2.7x
Bull 3 -- 6.9x and 1.7x
Bull 4 -- 6.8x and 1.6x
Bull 5 -- 7.5x and 1.6x
Bull 6 -- 6.9x and 1.7x

So, if the WW for Bull #2 wasn't a typo, then the other five did about the same job post-weaning (with #3 coming out slightly ahead).

If bull #2 was a typo (and should have been a 704 WW as contemplated above), then he grew 7.7x to weaning and another 1.6x from weaning to yearling.

4 would be my pick. 3 is a fairly distant second and 1 would be my #3. I'm not Knersie but for me 4 is much better balanced than 1.

WalnutCrest":36nkoi53 said:
I'd be more likely to cull #2's mom than to kick him out of your options for being your bull.
And you'd just pray that he get's all of his genetics from daddy's side of the equation when you retain daughters?

Weaning weight for #2 was the official weight posted in the herd registry. No typo.

All of the bulls come from different operations, other than 1&2 and 4&5, which come from the same operations, respectively. I just went through the sale offering the picked out the bulls that might be worth bidding on.

No frame sizes posted, that's not a particularly important number for this particular sale.

Unfortunately, the only dam I found a picture of is #2's.

2picb49826.jpg

Aaron":gng4j62b said:
Weaning weight for #2 was the official weight posted in the herd registry. No typo.

Wow. Ok.

All of the bulls come from different operations, other than 1&2 and 4&5, which come from the same operations, respectively. I just went through the sale offering the picked out the bulls that might be worth bidding on.

Ok.

No frame sizes posted, that's not a particularly important number for this particular sale. <snip>

I'd probably not be a buyer w/o some insight on the frame. Again, to me a 6.5 frame and 1100 pounds is not the same thing as a 5.0 and 1050.

cow pollinater":gng4j62b said:
WalnutCrest":gng4j62b said:
I'd be more likely to cull #2's mom than to kick him out of your options for being your bull.
And you'd just pray that he get's all of his genetics from daddy's side of the equation when you retain daughters?

There are lots of reasons to pick a bull ... and we don't know why we're picking this particular one. Is he retaining daughters? Is it some sort of locker-beef terminal cross? Who knows... I'm not assuming Aaron is picking something for his own program ... maybe just looking for a good chat about bull selection ideas...

:shrug:

In any event, I'm not writing a check for any of them without frame score information.

Yes, this is me picking for myself. But I don't mind having multiple 2nd opinions. Wish I had them everyday - everything would run much smoother around here.

I've always enjoyed the hunt for the next bull. I actually get really disappointed when I do buy one, because it means the hunt is over and eliminates all others out of the equation.

I don't get too wrapped up in the frame score sizes, because I know the genetics and herds that these bulls are coming from and I don't even shop at operations that breed frame monsters - I watched one of those 'type' operations sell bulls online today.

Ouch on that not being a typo...
Still wonder... If he was sickly or was this her first calf?
There are factors that can be in play.
He did a great job of catching up with the pack at least.

Now instead of looking over these boys I'm scratching my head as to why #2 was so light at weaning.

glacierridge":85edtne3 said:

Now instead of looking over these boys I'm scratching my head as to why #2 was so light at weaning.

I might phone the owner and find out. One very good possibility is the cow died. I found another sale coming up where a very low weaning weight bull was due to the dam dying at 2.5 months age - explained it right in the comments section.

Aaron":z2ete7t8 said:
glacierridge":z2ete7t8 said:

I might phone the owner and find out. One very good possibility is the cow died. I found another sale coming up where a very low weaning weight bull was due to the dam dying at 2.5 months age - explained it right in the comments section.

That could be.
We had one that had to go to slaughter when the calf was about two weeks old. She had a foot injury and things were made worse by another animal roughing her up.
Her calf was really runty for a while even after grafting her.
She's starting to gain a little better as of late finally.
She might be where we want her by a year.
Put together fairly well, just had a slow start for sure.

you have to bed the photo pen with something , it usually is straw in an area that big, wood shavings in the sale ring. i never think they are trying to hide anything ,

Aaron":1frwhx9s said:
<snip>

Whether or not the cow died, or anything else nefarious is uncovered, you'll be well-served for having done the additional due diligence.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

...and, if anyone gives you framescore info (and the age at which the frame score was determined), I'd be real curious...

5 Obviously going by pics provided only. And 5 might be the youngest, at least looks that way

Latest posts