Which Cattle Breed Easily Birth Large Calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullitt":3gj22p6i said:
lithuanian farmer":3gj22p6i said:
Easiest calving breeds are Aubrac and Salers. The are often used for Culard Charolais bulls, or just any other terminal bull, here.
However, others some other breeds can have more difficulties at calving, but they sure can calve big calves sometimes: Blonde d'Aquitaine, Charolais, Simmental. They are big breeds, so their BW is bigger here.

I looked on the Internet and I see that Aubrac cows average about 1,300 pounds, and the Salers are even larger. Those are pretty big cows. I can see why they can easily give birth to large calves.
They are known for having the widest pelvis, especially Salers. Many commercial farmers like to have cows with at least abit of Salers and not worry about calving. We ourselves have some cows with abit of Salers, and they do calve well with bigger calves.

lithuanian farmer":222gdzv0 said:
They are known for having the widest pelvis, especially Salers. Many commercial farmers like to have cows with at least abit of Salers and not worry about calving. We ourselves have some cows with abit of Salers, and they do calve well with bigger calves.

It seems that Salers may be one of the best breeds for birthing large calves.

I looked up a breeder of Salers online. They state, "On January 4th this set of 21 registered, purebred Salers heifers weighed between 825 and 1000 pounds. None was a year old at that time."

https://www.colmorefarms.com/females.php

That is impressive. It seems Salers is a breed worth looking into.

I wonder if a black Salers X Hereford would make Black baldy calves. That could be a good cross.

Yes, they're make well calving cows. They can be very protective moms too. I've a couple friends who raise Salers and the main thing they're proud of is calving ease. Plus Salers bull most of the time can be used on heifers for easy calving too.

Bullitt":28vtgit6 said:
lithuanian farmer":28vtgit6 said:

It seems that Salers may be one of the best breeds for birthing large calves.

I looked up a breeder of Salers online. They state, "On January 4th this set of 21 registered, purebred Salers heifers weighed between 825 and 1000 pounds. None was a year old at that time."

https://www.colmorefarms.com/females.php

That is impressive. It seems Salers is a breed worth looking into.

I wonder if a black Salers X Hereford would make Black baldy calves. That could be a good cross.
Salers would be ok if they weren't all evil man-eaters.. May be just my experiences with them though.

Lazy M":283w9sze said:
Salers would be ok if they weren't all evil man-eaters.. May be just my experiences with them though.
Yes, have heard that too. They tend to be pretty protective after calving. However, they can have a good character too. Have seen a video where a farmer helps to nurse for a newborn Salers calf, cow was free in the pen and she stood calmly.
Our girls are pretty good at calving. Two are the ones which need to watch very carefully, but that comes from their moms, which don't have any Salers.

Latest posts