Which angus bull calf to keep?

Help Support CattleToday:

DTA ranch

Reaction score
I'd like everybodies opinion on which purebred Reg. Angus bull to keep.
1) EPD's BW 2.0, WW 34, Milk 17, YW 64
BW 85 lbs, adj 205 wt 682, ADG of since birth 2.91
Parentage Traveler 6807, DAM's 2nd calf

2) EPD's BW 3.3, WW 46, milk 20, YW 86
BW 65 lbs, adj. 205 wt 660, ADG since birth 2.90
Parentage SA Neutron 377, DAM's 1st calf.
#1 is shorter with good depth. #2 is longer and less depth.

Any opinion's would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

depends on what you will be using him on i guess. i tend to like cattle wtih Traveler in them i've noticed, whether i know it at the time or not.

What are your cows lacking? Does their frame need moderated? Do they need more capacity? Howmush do their epd's need adjusted.

I don't like to retain bulls from 1st calf heifers. But then again, I don't raise too many bulls.

If it was me, I'd vote the one with more depth.

Post some AAA numbers. If you don't want to let evry one know PM me and I will be discrete. Right now I don't know. DAMs parentage would help.

Scotty

DTA: Personally I don't think there is anyway to tell until you post a picture of each animal. And even then I don't know if I am much at pictures :D

Based on the limited information we currently have, I like the number 1 bull better than the number 2 bull. He has the lower birth weight EPD and the higher actual weaning weight. I grant that the number 2 bull has a lower actual birth weight; but I would expect that from a heifer. Bull 2 also has superior growth and milk EPDs; but I prefer the proven performance of the many Travelor cattle I have seen. In summary, in this class of future Angus herd sires Bull 1 has the most complete package of EPDs, actual performance, and proven genetics to lead your herd well into the future.

If I saw pictures I am capable of reversing that order real quick.

Latest posts