When to Fertilize.

Help Support CattleToday:

papple

Reaction score
When is the best time to fertilize a pasture for grazing. Got about 60 acres of bluestem that could use a little boost . As far as I know its never been done.

You will get more efficient N use if the plant is in a growing phase when you apply the nitrogen. Im not sure, but I dont think it matters for P or K. I would fertilize in spring after things start greening up a bit in your area.

papple":3pcxjt0r said:
When is the best time to fertilize a pasture for grazing. Got about 60 acres of bluestem that could use a little boost . As far as I know its never been done.

Only after your soil test results are in. :roll:
We do know those results are on the way don,t we? :D
Just before a good rain.

Always after a test. I have my own testing equipment but it still takes about 2 days. drying the samples and all.

papple":1toqjk5w said:
Always after a test. I have my own testing equipment but it still takes about 2 days. drying the samples and all.
what test kit are you using and how good is it

I am using the LaMotte Combination Soil test kit Model EM Code 5934. And as for how good it is> Its pretty simple to use but as far as results I wouldnt know how to compare it.

What are you trying to accomplish? If it has never been fertilize as far as you know, why start now. You will gain little by fertilizing native grasses in native soil that has been undisturbed. Nature will supply all the nitrogen the native grasses need. I would have a good soil test done and add the minerals (micronutients) that are lacking. Encourage the microorganisms and the nitrogen fixing plants. Spend money on cross fencing and carefully manage your pasture. You will be money ahead long term.

according to my fertilizer company, fertilizer stays where its put(unless you have a serious erosion problem)...in other words put it down when it works for you...around here we fertilize when the ground is still frozen or hard, before the spring rains. Also the prime time seems to be reserved for the big $$ customers..donna

Latest posts