When do you throw in the towel?

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy":24nugyiz said:
aplusmnt":24nugyiz said:
Frankie":24nugyiz said:
If it helps any, I see NOAA says they expect an active hurricane season. ;-)

Didn't they say the same thing about last year though? And it was a mild one.

no. go to your room!

Sorry! Need to keep things positive huh? :lol: I am out looking for snakes to send you to put belly up on the fence post, do you think Kansas Snakes will work?

We had to make the decision several months ago. Sold off all the mares and the yearlings and two year olds and shut it down.Z

i darn near drove off a bridge just a second ago trying to run over a poor little black snake. missed the snake and didnt drive off the bridge either. my luck stinks!

Beefy":29u03e2s said:
Mr. Jo, there is a 60% chance of rain next thursday!!!
0-10% up until then though.

i hate the weather channel website. my 60% plummeted to 0%.

Saw a 5 foot oak snake today. Couldn't bring myself to kill it though. Gonna hold out for one of them cottonmouthwaterrattlers. :lol:

We had a "Syfucuse" come through here several hours ago - the rain guage ran over at 6.10 so I'm not sure how much we really got. It filled all of our ponds up to where they are running over and our drive looks like the Grand Canyon.

I've been keeping track of our rain fall for the past three years and found that in October of 02 we had 8.75 as the most rain in a months time. As of today, we have had 14.55 for the month of May with 9.90 since the 22nd! I hope that everyone else that was needing the rain got it!

I do hope it gets better for you. Its good that you've got a plan but I would rethink keeping any heifers. I realize it may be the genetics you want but its too far down the road for them to start paying for themselves.

I'm getting to the point where I like them old and broken mouth cows in 2nd/3rd period better than heifers. They have been selling for $450 to $600 and I figure by this November they'll be down to $300 to $450.

Also check your market area and you may want to sell a little earlier. For instance in this area, cow prices always drop in August, so if one is gonna sell a cow do it before the end of July.

Best of luck to you.

If I could I'd open up the faucet and pipe you some of this rain we are getting I'd do it in a second. This time last year I was asking the same questions as you. Its either feast of famine!

Beefy":166049fy said:
Beefy":166049fy said:

I can't count how many times last year we had a 60% chance and got nothing. This year if it says 30% or better we can pretty much battin down the hatches.

Proverbs 12:10":2atj5agx said:
Beefy":2atj5agx said:
Beefy":2atj5agx said:

I can't count how many times last year we had a 60% chance and got nothing. This year if it says 30% or better we can pretty much battin down the hatches.

:nod: But I refuse to complain. I change socks about 3 times a day...wet feet...but, I refuse to complain.

Alice

Latest posts